Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > MMA Related > UFC

Old 05-01-2013, 09:38 PM
Student of the Sport

Default UFC parts ways with Cheick Kongo

http://www.mmafighting.com/2013/5/1/...h-cheick-kongo

Quote:
Cheick Kongo's UFC career, at least for now, has come to an end.

The promotion has decided against re-signing the French veteran after his first-round knockout loss to Roy Nelson last Saturday night at UFC 159, a UFC official confirmed with MMAFighting.com on Wednesday. The official stated that that fight was the last on Kongo's current contract.

According to Kongo's long-time manager Anthony McGann, Kongo was offered a four-fight deal before the Nelson fight, but he turned it down after they couldn't agree on terms. He was not offered a different deal after the fight.

The 37-year-old Kongo (18-8-2) went 3-2 in his last five fights. A former kickboxer, he made his Octagon debut at UFC 61 in 2006 against Gilbert Aldana. He won that fight and would go on to win four of his first five UFC bouts.

Kongo leaves the organization with an 11-6-1 record inside the Octagon. His most memorable UFC win has to be his comeback first-round knockout of Pat Barry at UFC Live on Versus 4 in June 2011.

Last week, prior to the Nelson fight, he told MMAFighting.com that he was hoping to fight another two or three years but is content with what he has accomplished throughout his 12-year MMA career.

"I got to give myself, probably, two, three more years to reach [a title shot]," he said. "If not, whatever, I have enough memories to retire and go on my way and do something else."

McGann said Kongo will definitely continue fighting outside the UFC.
I kinda thought this was coming even without knowing that his contract renegotiation fell through. There are a lot more HWs nowadays and figured with how his loss was he was likely on the way out.
Old 05-01-2013, 10:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevint13 View Post
http://www.mmafighting.com/2013/5/1/...h-cheick-kongo

I kinda thought this was coming even without knowing that his contract renegotiation fell through. There are a lot more HWs nowadays and figured with how his loss was he was likely on the way out.

This is sad. I've always liked seeing him fight. He's been in HW the longest out of the current roster and his record isn't bad at all.

I do not think that the HW roster is that stacked either so I don't really understand it other then that they couldn't come to terms. That I can understand. If he doesn't like the deal and declines it and can't offer anything that both sides accept well that's understandable.
Old 05-02-2013, 02:01 AM

Dang, I always liked watching him fight.
Old 05-02-2013, 10:47 AM

He was crazy to turn down a 4 fight contract extension, even if it didn't pay what he thought he was worth. Other than how he looks physically, I've never been overly impressed by Kongo...way too one dimensional and with a mediocre chin to boot. He may get to fight for a title in another org, but I don't believe he was ever a legit contender in the UFC.
Old 05-02-2013, 11:57 AM
Hailey's Dad

Quote:
Originally Posted by wavetar View Post
He was crazy to turn down a 4 fight contract extension, even if it didn't pay what he thought he was worth. Other than how he looks physically, I've never been overly impressed by Kongo...way too one dimensional and with a mediocre chin to boot. He may get to fight for a title in another org, but I don't believe he was ever a legit contender in the UFC.
Agreed. He was always terrible on the ground, decent standing (and nearly always gave knees to the balls). He looked like a beast, but that only gets you so far.