Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > MMA Related > UFC

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-09-2013, 09:09 PM
Waiting for June 6th

Default Jones: Sonnen in the 'promote fight' business, Iím in the 'remain champion' business

From MMAFighting.com:

Quote:
ALBUQUERQUE, N.M. -- Jon Jones spent over a month isolated in Las Vegas filming The Ultimate Fighter 17. In that time, daily interactions with Chael Sonnen became the norm.

Sonnen was largely brought in as an antagonist, a role he filled perfectly opposite Anderson Silva. Yet even Jones was surprised -- and, admittedly, a little confused -- at the man that showed up every day for taping.

Not only was Sonnen approachable and friendly, he was genuinely likeable. In the end, the dynamic between the two coaches couldn't have been further from expectations.

Of course Sonnen is back to his antics now, cutting pro wrestling style promos on UFC Tonight and issuing daily, often hostile, countdowns on his Twitter account. But after having seen the other side, Jones isn't impressed.

"Chael's [mouth] doesn't bother me at all," the UFC light heavyweight champion assured MMAFighting.com. "I think if I was to take it personal, if I wasn't to understand it, it would bother me. But I have a pretty clear understanding of who Chael is, what he's accomplished, and my understanding kind of takes the power away from his words and his persona.

"You can see that the talk has picked up a little bit. But Chael is in the Ďpromote fight' business. I guess that's how he got in this situation in the first place. I'm in the Ďremain champion' business. So, I'm excited. I'm excited to go out there and do what I do best, and that's win championships."

Despite the pair's time together, Jones isn't blind. He understood from day one what this match-up entailed.

Sonnen, the ultimate marketing machine, received an instant title shot in a completely different division, just months after crumbling to a Silva second-round TKO.

"It's definitely safe to say this is one of those fights that's for the fans," Jones freely admitted. "Chael doesn't have the greatest record, but he has a huge following. He's a statement maker, and pe