Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > General Discussions > The Woodshed

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #151  
Old 03-02-2013, 10:08 PM
BradW BradW is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 109
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamt View Post
gun control is the equivalent of making it illegal for people to buy cars in order to reduce drunk driving



furthermore, i disagree that the 2nd amendment doesn't apply to today's guns(assault weapons/ak 47s/ etc) as much as i disagree that the 1st amendment doesn't apply to todays means of free speech(twitter, facebook, blogs, national tv)

if the 2nd amendment is done away with because we have better guns than when it was enacted, then lets do away with the 1st amendment as well based on the same reasons
the first amendment isnt killing anyone...thats the difference.
Reply With Quote
  #152  
Old 03-03-2013, 03:24 AM
NateR's Avatar
NateR NateR is offline
Administrator
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 5,739
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradW View Post
the first amendment isnt killing anyone...thats the difference.
That's a stupid comment. How many millions of Americans have willingly sacrificed their lives fighting for the freedoms guaranteed by the 1st AND 2nd amendment?

Also how many Americans have lost their lives because other nations are threatened by our concepts of freedom of religion, freedom of speech, freedom of the press, etc.?
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #153  
Old 03-03-2013, 04:51 AM
adamt adamt is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Iowa
Posts: 1,511
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradW View Post
the first amendment isnt killing anyone...thats the difference.
there are dozens of people who have committed suicide due to cyber bullying, so much so that people have been found guilty of murder because of their facebook stalking and harassing

upon this revelation are you now in support of banning the 1st amendment as well?

but just to be clear, that example was arguing against those that want to ban modern guns just cause they are better than the muskets of 1776.... our social press is better too, doesn't mean the 1st doesn't apply to today's facebook, email, blogs, vlogs and twitter

and still, banning guns is like banning cars to prevent drunk driving, or banning cameras to prevent child porn, or banning matches to prevent forest fires
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #154  
Old 03-03-2013, 06:18 PM
BradW BradW is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 109
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by NateR View Post
That's a stupid comment. How many millions of Americans have willingly sacrificed their lives fighting for the freedoms guaranteed by the 1st AND 2nd amendment?

Also how many Americans have lost their lives because other nations are threatened by our concepts of freedom of religion, freedom of speech, freedom of the press, etc.?
your not the only country in the world that believes in freedom of religion,freedom of speech,and freedom of the press.

but if it wasn't for guns there would be a lot less death.
Reply With Quote
  #155  
Old 03-04-2013, 03:12 AM
NateR's Avatar
NateR NateR is offline
Administrator
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 5,739
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradW View Post
but if it wasn't for guns there would be a lot less death.
I don't believe that for a second. The world was a much, much more violent place before the invention of guns.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #156  
Old 03-22-2013, 01:40 AM
Play The Man's Avatar
Play The Man Play The Man is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 2,263
Default

For a limited time (I don't know how long) NRA lifetime memberships are only $300 (down from normal cost of $1,000). I am now a "Lifer".
https://membership.nrahq.org/forms/s...ampaignID=ar15
__________________
"Be of good comfort, Master Ridley, and play the man! We shall this day light such a candle, by God's grace, in England, as I trust shall never be put out."
--Hugh Latimer, October 16, 1555
Reply With Quote
  #157  
Old 03-22-2013, 01:35 PM
County Mike's Avatar
County Mike County Mike is offline
Hailey's Dad
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Millville, NJ
Posts: 859
Default

Thanks for the notice about the liftetime membership discount. I'm debating, only because I just renewed. Wish I was already up for renewal, I'd jump on the lifetime deal. Now I'll feel like I'm wasting the renewal I just paid. hmmmm
Reply With Quote
  #158  
Old 03-22-2013, 01:48 PM
VCURamFan's Avatar
VCURamFan VCURamFan is online now
MMA, VCU, & Doctor Who
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Basketball Capital of the World
Posts: 14,324
Send a message via AIM to VCURamFan
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by County Mike View Post
Thanks for the notice about the liftetime membership discount. I'm debating, only because I just renewed. Wish I was already up for renewal, I'd jump on the lifetime deal. Now I'll feel like I'm wasting the renewal I just paid. hmmmm
Well how much did you pay for your renewal? If it's less than $700, then you'd still be saving money on the lifetime membership.

Just think of it as a downpayment.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #159  
Old 03-22-2013, 01:55 PM
County Mike's Avatar
County Mike County Mike is offline
Hailey's Dad
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Millville, NJ
Posts: 859
Default

Yeah, I considered that. Even though it's a huge savings, still hard to justify to myself spending $300 right now when I have a wife and daughter to support. Dropping $25 per year is easier to do without missing the money.
Reply With Quote
  #160  
Old 03-22-2013, 02:17 PM
VCURamFan's Avatar
VCURamFan VCURamFan is online now
MMA, VCU, & Doctor Who
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Basketball Capital of the World
Posts: 14,324
Send a message via AIM to VCURamFan
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by County Mike View Post
Yeah, I considered that. Even though it's a huge savings, still hard to justify to myself spending $300 right now when I have a wife and daughter to support. Dropping $25 per year is easier to do without missing the money.
Good point. I keep forgetting most of y'all have to budget for more than just yourself.

I like being young!
__________________
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 02:33 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.