Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > General Discussions > The Woodshed

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 02-22-2013, 04:24 PM
VCURamFan's Avatar
VCURamFan VCURamFan is online now
MMA, VCU, & Doctor Who
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Basketball Capital of the World
Posts: 14,311
Send a message via AIM to VCURamFan
Default Robot Combat League

Yes, this is a real thing. On SyFy. Just watch:

http://www.syfy.com/videos/Robot%20C...ue/vid:2626626
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 02-22-2013, 06:08 PM
NateR's Avatar
NateR NateR is offline
Administrator
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 5,734
Default

I didn't know that George Lucas' daughter was one of the contestants. That's interesting.

The show really just looks like a large-scale version of Rock-'em-Sock-'em Robots. It also disappoints me that the teams aren't designing and building the robots themselves, but the robots are just being assigned to them. I would have liked it better if the teams were able to put some of their own personality into the designs of the robots.

That t-bar thing really annoys me too. Why even bother to have legs on the robot if it has to have a giant t-bar to keep it standing? Also, the herky-jerky movements of the robots themselves makes me think that the technology is simply not to the point where something like this can be truly entertaining.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 02-22-2013, 07:16 PM
Tyburn's Avatar
Tyburn Tyburn is offline
Angry @ Injustice!
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: England
Posts: 16,920
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by NateR View Post
I didn't know that George Lucas' daughter was one of the contestants. That's interesting.

The show really just looks like a large-scale version of Rock-'em-Sock-'em Robots. It also disappoints me that the teams aren't designing and building the robots themselves, but the robots are just being assigned to them. I would have liked it better if the teams were able to put some of their own personality into the designs of the robots.

That t-bar thing really annoys me too. Why even bother to have legs on the robot if it has to have a giant t-bar to keep it standing? Also, the herky-jerky movements of the robots themselves makes me think that the technology is simply not to the point where something like this can be truly entertaining.
So basically...you hate it
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 02-22-2013, 08:11 PM
VCURamFan's Avatar
VCURamFan VCURamFan is online now
MMA, VCU, & Doctor Who
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Basketball Capital of the World
Posts: 14,311
Send a message via AIM to VCURamFan
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by NateR View Post
I didn't know that George Lucas' daughter was one of the contestants. That's interesting.

The show really just looks like a large-scale version of Rock-'em-Sock-'em Robots. It also disappoints me that the teams aren't designing and building the robots themselves, but the robots are just being assigned to them. I would have liked it better if the teams were able to put some of their own personality into the designs of the robots.

That t-bar thing really annoys me too. Why even bother to have legs on the robot if it has to have a giant t-bar to keep it standing? Also, the herky-jerky movements of the robots themselves makes me think that the technology is simply not to the point where something like this can be truly entertaining.
I agree with this. I thought this was going to be about these master builders who put their own spin on things, like a suped-up version of Robot Wars.

The T-Bar I'm OK with, because the amount of engineering recquired to create a stable bipedal robot would make it cost prohibitive. Also, it makes possible to let the machines move with the quickness necessary. If it was a self-contained unit, it'd be far less animated or powerful.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 02-22-2013, 08:39 PM
flo's Avatar
flo flo is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: The Great Pacific Northwest
Posts: 7,719
Default

Maybe it's a man-woman thing but I just have no interest in watching robots fight. I don't have anything against robots in general, I love watching the new things the Japanese and others come up with! But as for fighting or competing, I'll take MMA or even Ninja Warriors any day over bots.
__________________
http://www.matt-hughes.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=339&dateline=13068036  43

Rejoice ever more. 1 Thessalonians 5:16
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 02-22-2013, 08:45 PM
flo's Avatar
flo flo is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: The Great Pacific Northwest
Posts: 7,719
Default

I agree with what you all said, that it would be more interesting if the technology was more advanced. A transformer death match could be cool...
__________________
http://www.matt-hughes.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=339&dateline=13068036  43

Rejoice ever more. 1 Thessalonians 5:16
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 02-22-2013, 08:45 PM
Tyburn's Avatar
Tyburn Tyburn is offline
Angry @ Injustice!
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: England
Posts: 16,920
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by flo View Post
Maybe it's a man-woman thing but I just have no interest in watching robots fight. .
I dont like watching Women Fight to me, thats just wrong and the UFC are doing it now
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 02-23-2013, 01:33 AM
NateR's Avatar
NateR NateR is offline
Administrator
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 5,734
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by VCURamFan View Post
The T-Bar I'm OK with, because the amount of engineering recquired to create a stable bipedal robot would make it cost prohibitive. Also, it makes possible to let the machines move with the quickness necessary. If it was a self-contained unit, it'd be far less animated or powerful.
And that's why I think the technology just doesn't exist to make this kind of think entertaining at all.

Maybe after about 20-30 more years of advancement, it would be more interesting to watch.
__________________
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 04:19 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.