Old 02-22-2013, 04:24 PM
MMA, VCU, & Doctor Who

Send a message via AIM to VCURamFan
Default Robot Combat League

Yes, this is a real thing. On SyFy. Just watch:

http://www.syfy.com/videos/Robot%20C...ue/vid:2626626
Old 02-22-2013, 06:08 PM
Administrator

I didn't know that George Lucas' daughter was one of the contestants. That's interesting.

The show really just looks like a large-scale version of Rock-'em-Sock-'em Robots. It also disappoints me that the teams aren't designing and building the robots themselves, but the robots are just being assigned to them. I would have liked it better if the teams were able to put some of their own personality into the designs of the robots.

That t-bar thing really annoys me too. Why even bother to have legs on the robot if it has to have a giant t-bar to keep it standing? Also, the herky-jerky movements of the robots themselves makes me think that the technology is simply not to the point where something like this can be truly entertaining.
Old 02-22-2013, 07:16 PM
Angry @ Injustice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NateR View Post
I didn't know that George Lucas' daughter was one of the contestants. That's interesting.

The show really just looks like a large-scale version of Rock-'em-Sock-'em Robots. It also disappoints me that the teams aren't designing and building the robots themselves, but the robots are just being assigned to them. I would have liked it better if the teams were able to put some of their own personality into the designs of the robots.

That t-bar thing really annoys me too. Why even bother to have legs on the robot if it has to have a giant t-bar to keep it standing? Also, the herky-jerky movements of the robots themselves makes me think that the technology is simply not to the point where something like this can be truly entertaining.
So basically...you hate it
Old 02-22-2013, 08:11 PM
MMA, VCU, & Doctor Who

Send a message via AIM to VCURamFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by NateR View Post

I agree with this. I thought this was going to be about these master builders who put their own spin on things, like a suped-up version of Robot Wars.

The T-Bar I'm OK with, because the amount of engineering recquired to create a stable bipedal robot would make it cost prohibitive. Also, it makes possible to let the machines move with the quickness necessary. If it was a self-contained unit, it'd be far less animated or powerful.
Old 02-22-2013, 08:39 PM

Maybe it's a man-woman thing but I just have no interest in watching robots fight. I don't have anything against robots in general, I love watching the new things the Japanese and others come up with! But as for fighting or competing, I'll take MMA or even Ninja Warriors any day over bots.

Rejoice ever more. 1 Thessalonians 5:16
Old 02-22-2013, 08:45 PM

I agree with what you all said, that it would be more interesting if the technology was more advanced. A transformer death match could be cool...

Rejoice ever more. 1 Thessalonians 5:16
Old 02-22-2013, 08:45 PM
Angry @ Injustice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by flo View Post
Maybe it's a man-woman thing but I just have no interest in watching robots fight. .
I dont like watching Women Fight to me, thats just wrong and the UFC are doing it now
Old 02-23-2013, 01:33 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by VCURamFan View Post
The T-Bar I'm OK with, because the amount of engineering recquired to create a stable bipedal robot would make it cost prohibitive. Also, it makes possible to let the machines move with the quickness necessary. If it was a self-contained unit, it'd be far less animated or powerful.
And that's why I think the technology just doesn't exist to make this kind of think entertaining at all.

Maybe after about 20-30 more years of advancement, it would be more interesting to watch.