Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > General Discussions > The Woodshed

Old 01-13-2013, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by County Mike View Post
That statement is is pure ignorance. USA is not a culture of violence. At least, no more than the majority of other countries. If you check the stats based on the population (ie: Number of homicides per 100,000 residents) we're way down the list. We just have a lot of people, so our total number of homicides seems really high compared to countries with a much smaller population.
I wouldn't say that the us is a culture of violence .. but I don't think you can ignore the homicide rates with guns ... they are way down the list on the grand scheme of things, developing countries and eastern euro are at the top of the list, but among developed countries, the us is near the top of the list ... anti gun people are going to say its due to the availability of guns and pro gun folks are going to say its because there are not enough guns .... the us is never going to get rid of guns ... but when you have guys like adam posting things like violence is good ^^^^^^ it doesn't really paint a pretty picture if others think like that ...
Old 01-13-2013, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradW View Post
the USA for the most part is a culture of violence...and that is what separate's you guys from the rest of the free world.

but its not your fault...its what you have been taught and until you decide to teach your children something different it will always be that way.
Oh, so that's why so many have fled their own countries for the U.S.A...for our culture of violence. What in the free world were they thinking!

Old 01-13-2013, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonnie View Post
Oh, so that's why so many have fled their own countries for the U.S.A...for our culture of violence. What in the free world were they thinking!

Rejoice ever more. 1 Thessalonians 5:16
Old 01-13-2013, 09:52 PM

violence is a good thing

have you had a burger lately? that cow died....because of violence

have you been raped lately? probably not...whynot? because everyone in the world is nice? no, probably because if someone rapes you, even in canada, they will be met with violence, either from you at the time, or from someone else like law enforcement at a later point in time.

violence goes both ways.

violence is the only way to stop a weirdo psychopath evil person like the shooters in massacres, even if it is a self imposed violent death, but i haven't heard anyone indict someone else for the violence inflicted on others out of self defense

there can be righteous violence

you can't label all violence as bad
Old 01-14-2013, 12:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonnie View Post

they flee to the US trying to find a better life...doesn't mean it always works out that way.

I didn't say its a bad thing...its just the way I see it.

we could discuss this forever but I don't see why you think that guns are the solution to all your problems
and at the same time you don't understand why I think guns are the problem...so maybe we should just agree to disagree.
Old 01-14-2013, 12:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by huan View Post
separates us from the middle east which regularly hangs people for not following islam you mean, right? the sad reality is you have been taught and accepted a fiction of what the USA really is and will continue to believe that until you decide to start thinking for yourself. let us know when that happens, then maybe we can have meaningful and intellectual discourse...
why do you feel the need to try and run people down when you address them ?

it makes me think I keep touching a nerve and you don't know any other way to respond.
Old 01-14-2013, 01:07 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamt View Post

there can be righteous violence

you can't label all violence as bad
Yep, GOD used violence many times throughout the Bible to accomplish His will. Even Jesus overturning tables in the Temple and whipping the money-changers would have been seen as a violent act.

If you really study history, guns have acted as a great equalizer across the world. In other words, guns have actually made the world a less violent place that it has been in the past.

Look at it like this, before the invention of gunpowder, people's primary form of self-defense was swords. However, swords require physical strength, size and the full use of both arms and legs. On top of all that, they also require training and conditioning to learn how to use them effectively.

So if you take a 30-year-old, 6-foot tall, 200-pound man, who's been trained in swordplay for years, and put him up against a 13-year-old, 5'2", 90-pound girl who has never touched a sword in her life. What's going to happen if you give them both a sword and have them fight to the death? The answer is easy, she's going to get cut to pieces fairly quickly and without much effort.

However, take the same two people and place a loaded gun in each of their hands. Now you've leveled the playing field and changed the entire game. It's no longer about physical size or training level, it's about who can pull that trigger the fastest. The girl who has never touched a weapon in her life is suddenly just as dangerous as the highly-trained, physically-powerful man.

Before the invention of guns, all of humanity lived in a 'might makes right' world. Guns have actually helped humanity tame a wild planet and made modern civilization possible.

Of course, many will try to claim that humanity has "evolved" past the need for guns, because we are becoming more intelligent and more civilized through the process of Evolution. Well that just one more lie of this world. Humanity is just as evil and corrupt as we've always been.
Old 01-14-2013, 01:52 AM

Quote:
they flee to the US trying to find a better life...doesn't mean it always works out that way.

we could discuss this forever but I don't see why you think that guns are the solution to all your problems
and at the same time you don't understand why I think guns are the problem...so maybe we should just agree to disagree.
i understand why you think guns are the problem, i just don't agree
i don't think it is a fair assessment to say that we think guns are the solution to our problems, we don't believe that at all, we just so adamantly believe that guns are not the problem that we are incredibly protective of our guns, we are so sure that they are not the problem that we refuse to give them up

i think the problem is the lack of morals to do such a thing, and the lack of God's protection on us to prevent such things

i think God's hand of protection is gone because we are so sinful, yet we actually claim to be christians,

i think that is something that we would strongly disagree on brad

brad, at least you are an atheist, you stand up for what you believe, but millions of americans are enjoying the ambiance of being a christian but they don't suffer the hardships of actually living that life, thusly we don't enjoy God's protection
Old 01-14-2013, 03:00 AM

Quote:

I've never said I think guns are the solution to all our problems, you didn't even mention guns in that post. I was responding to you saying the U.S. is mostly a culture of violence and that's what separates us from the rest of the free world.

If we ever do discuss it though, of course, I'll be happy to just agree to disagree--I prefer that over fruitless arguing.

Last edited by Bonnie; 01-14-2013 at 03:50 PM.
Old 01-14-2013, 12:38 PM
SupaDupaMod

Send a message via Yahoo to Neezar

Quote:

wth?

Where did this come from? You know, even though I don't always agree with you, you at least usually have an intelligent viewpoint. But this is way out there.