Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > General Discussions > The Woodshed

Old 01-11-2013, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NateR View Post
You seem to be working under the assumption that we're talking about forcing guns into the hands of teachers who have never touched a gun in their life and aren't comfortable with handling them. I think most of us are talking about simply giving teachers the option to carry a concealed weapon, but only if they want to AND only if they have gone through the process of getting a concealed-carry license.

I wouldn't want an inexperienced teacher, who is scared to death of guns, to be carrying a gun around a bunch of school kids either. However, nobody here is proposing that.
well, i don't know what the process is of getting a concealed carry permit .. is it just a background check to say they have no criminal history? is there mandatory training for handling, using etc the gun in crowded areas such as classes or schools? is there target practice testing they have to do to show they can actually shoot the thing ... and then when this is in place, have the parents in the school voted to give their ok that teachers who have permits are granted permission ... i think you would probably have very little schools getting passing votes on teachers carrying guns ..
Old 01-11-2013, 08:00 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by rearnakedchoke View Post
well, i don't know what the process is of getting a concealed carry permit .. is it just a background check to say they have no criminal history? is there mandatory training for handling, using etc the gun in crowded areas such as classes or schools? is there target practice testing they have to do to show they can actually shoot the thing ... and then when this is in place, have the parents in the school voted to give their ok that teachers who have permits are granted permission ... i think you would probably have very little schools getting passing votes on teachers carrying guns ..
The background check is what everyone needs just to purchase a gun, regardless of whether they want to carry a concealed weapon or not. The specific laws differ from state to state, but usually people have to attend a gun safety class in order to get the concealed carry permit. So you can own a gun without being allowed concealed carry. That's how it is in Illinois right now, because concealed carry has been illegal in this state. However, they just struck down that ban last month, so we should have the ability to get a concealed carry permit here soon. Illinois was actually the very last hold-out state that banned the carrying of concealed firearms. Now it's legal across all 50 states.

I have no problem with allowing the people in that school district to vote on whether or not their teachers are allowed concealed carry on school grounds. Let the people decide for themselves what's right for their specific area, don't let the government force its will upon them. You say that you think very few parents would vote to allow it in their schools, but I think it would be just the opposite.
Old 01-11-2013, 08:03 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by County Mike View Post
Then again, the situation you're describing might be deterred if the shooter knows he faces the possibility of armed faculty. As it is, everyone knows you can walk into a school and expect to face zero armed resistance.
I 100% agree. Just the knowledge that they might come face to face with armed resistance inside of the school, would be enough of a deterrent to stop a large percentage of those targeted shootings. Not all of them, of course, but some of them.
Old 01-11-2013, 10:33 PM
LESS TALK MORE ACTION

Anyone have any experience with this one?
http://www.keltecweapons.com/our-guns/shotguns/ksg/
it could be my next purchase.
Old 01-12-2013, 02:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TENNESSEAN View Post
Anyone have any experience with this one?
http://www.keltecweapons.com/our-guns/shotguns/ksg/
it could be my next purchase.
dual tube feed is impressive,

i don't know if it is considered a bull pup design or not, but it looks like it would feel like a bull pup, and i just haven't gotten into the bull pup stuff

here's my next gun.... it's actually on order, a little sooner than i wanted to order it but didn't have much choice with the awb coming up....

http://www.rwsgunsmithing.com/extrem...-range-rifles/

i got it in 50 bmg, green stock black barrel with interrupt fluting
Old 01-13-2013, 02:59 AM

the USA for the most part is a culture of violence...
and that is what separate's you guys from the rest of the free world.

but its not your fault...its what you have been taught and until you decide to teach your children something different it will always be that way.
Old 01-13-2013, 03:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradW View Post

but its not your fault...its what you have been taught and until you decide to teach your children something different it will always be that way.
separates us from the middle east which regularly hangs people for not following islam you mean, right? the sad reality is you have been taught and accepted a fiction of what the USA really is and will continue to believe that until you decide to start thinking for yourself. let us know when that happens, then maybe we can have meaningful and intellectual discourse...
Old 01-13-2013, 08:21 AM

http://www.ruger.com/micros/advocacy/takeAction.html
This is a link to the Ruger website advocacy page. They will send copies of the letter below, in your name, to: "the President, Vice-President, your Senators, Representative, Governor, Lieutenant Governor, State-Level Elected Officials and State Attorney General." All you have to do is enter your contact information.

Quote:
Dear (Recipient),

I am a law-abiding citizen and responsible gun owner.

I am saddened by the tragic events in Newtown, Connecticut, but I believe that efforts to impose new restrictions on me and other lawful and responsible owners like me are misguided. Did you know that violent crime with firearms has declined since the Federal "assault weapons ban" expired in 2004?

Your focus should be on strengthening mental health care and improving the quality of data supporting NICs checks (National Instant Criminal Background Check System). Do NOT pass more gun laws; instead, work to enforce the more than 20,000 gun laws already on the books.

I am your constituent and I vote. Please represent me.

Sincerely,
(Your Contact Information)
Old 01-13-2013, 12:51 PM
Hailey's Dad

Quote:

That statement is is pure ignorance. USA is not a culture of violence. At least, no more than the majority of other countries. If you check the stats based on the population (ie: Number of homicides per 100,000 residents) we're way down the list. We just have a lot of people, so our total number of homicides seems really high compared to countries with a much smaller population.
Old 01-13-2013, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Play The Man View Post
http://www.ruger.com/micros/advocacy/takeAction.html
This is a link to the Ruger website advocacy page. They will send copies of the letter below, in your name, to: "the President, Vice-President, your Senators, Representative, Governor, Lieutenant Governor, State-Level Elected Officials and State Attorney General." All you have to do is enter your contact information.
excellent link thanks

Quote:

yep!!! and proud of it.... some people think that violence is bad, they also misunderstand and misconstrue what violence is

God is a God of violence, read the OT

God is still God of violence, read the New Testament....

violence isn't to be a predominating part of your personality, but God uses violence

The USA was founded by violence, Israel was founded by violence, it's too bad, but in a war of good vs evil, violence is necessary

read Revelation and tell me if you think Jesus is violent

david killed goliath in a violent way, king david went out and killed two hundred phillistines and cut off their foreskins as a dowry to king saul for his daughter.....is that violent?

samson killed 1000 people!!!!! with the jaw bone of a donkey, is that violent

God destroyed the whole planet with a flood, God answered Elijah's sacrifice then they killed 400 prophets of baal

evil must be answered with violence, any culture that is not violent is a lukewarm or entirely evil culture that is disposable