Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > General Discussions > The Woodshed

Old 01-11-2013, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NateR View Post
You need to provide a source for a statement like that.

However, the knowledge that one or more of the faculty inside of the school might be armed would likely be a major deterrent towards the kinds of targeted shootings you mention.
haha .. more of providing sources ... only when someone doesn't agree with you does someone have to provide a source .. there are shootings all the time in schools against either targeted students or teachers ... way more so than intruders coming in ... an armed teacher isn't going to know that a targeted shooting is going to happen ... and by the time it does, the kid either flees or surrenders ...
Old 01-11-2013, 03:22 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by rearnakedchoke View Post
haha .. more of providing sources ... only when someone doesn't agree with you does someone have to provide a source .. there are shootings all the time in schools against either targeted students or teachers ... way more so than intruders coming in ... an armed teacher isn't going to know that a targeted shooting is going to happen ... and by the time it does, the kid either flees or surrenders ...
Again, provide a source for that statistic, because how do we know you are not making that up?
Old 01-11-2013, 03:26 PM
Administrator

Quote:
not very often .. i am not saying that .. teachers .. just like anyone .. can snap ... pre planning and snapping are different ... you don't hear teachers shooting up students cuz it doesn't happen that often .. i think imo, if teachers are armed, even if it is a few "responsible" ones, you have more chance of them using it out of rage, then stopping an intruder .. because honestly, there are not that many cases of intruders coming into schools that often ..

and i don't know how its antigun lunacy ... just because i think teachers shoudln't be armed? LOL
Interesting. How often to armed bank guards "snap" and start shooting up their own banks? How often to do armed air marshals hijack the plane they are paid to defend?

Your logic is flawed and obviously you have no facts to back up your opinion, so you have to invent stuff. So, provide some statistics for how often teachers snap and shoot up their own schools.

You are the one making these ridiculous claims, so the burden of proof is on you.
Old 01-11-2013, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Interesting. How often to armed bank guards "snap" and start shooting up their own banks? How often to do armed air marshals hijack the plane they are paid to defend?

Your logic is flawed and obviously you have no facts to back up your opinion, so you have to invent stuff. So, provide some statistics for how often teachers snap and shoot up their own schools.

You are the one making these ridiculous claims, so the burden of proof is on you.
i never said that teachers shoot up students .. i said, imo that if you arm teachers i think the chance for something to go wrong (like them snapping) are more likely then they ever have to use them on an intruder ... its an opinion ... and i am also saying that i wouldn't send my kids to a school if teachers were armed .. thats all ..
Old 01-11-2013, 03:59 PM
Administrator

Quote:
i never said that teachers shoot up students .. i said, imo that if you arm teachers i think the chance for something to go wrong (like them snapping) are more likely then they ever have to use them on an intruder ... its an opinion ... and i am also saying that i wouldn't send my kids to a school if teachers were armed .. thats all ..
So, would you take your kids to a bank that had an armed guard? Y'know many sporting events have armed guards these days too, so do plan to keep your kids away from live sporting events? What about the armed air marshals on planes? Are you going to allow your kids to fly at all, because who knows when one of those air marshals might snap and decide to start shooting up the plane?
Old 01-11-2013, 04:06 PM

Quote:
So, would you take your kids to a bank that had an armed guard? Y'know many sporting events have armed guards these days too, so do plan to keep your kids away from live sporting events? What about the armed air marshals on planes? Are you going to allow your kids to fly at all, because who knows when one of those air marshals might snap and decide to start shooting up the plane?
what are the prime responsibilities of the jobs you named ... how many hours have they trained to use guns and use them properly and safely ... sure, teachers can learn how to use guns .. but their primary training is in teaching ... some of them still need to improve on that .. LOL ... if more gov't money is going to be spent on training for teachers, i'd prefer it be spent on them training how to better teach and using a gun ...
Old 01-11-2013, 05:06 PM
Administrator

Quote:
what are the prime responsibilities of the jobs you named ... how many hours have they trained to use guns and use them properly and safely ... sure, teachers can learn how to use guns .. but their primary training is in teaching ... some of them still need to improve on that .. LOL ... if more gov't money is going to be spent on training for teachers, i'd prefer it be spent on them training how to better teach and using a gun ...
Well, then what about hiring armed guards for schools? This way they'd have adults monitoring the hallways who's primary responsibility is the safety of the school.

However, I don't understand this idea of yours that a teacher would necessarily be incompetent in the proper handling and use of a firearm. Where are you getting that from? I'm thinking you are forming too many of your opinions about guns based off of what you see on television.
Old 01-11-2013, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Well, then what about hiring armed guards for schools? This way they'd have adults monitoring the hallways who's primary responsibility is the safety of the school.

However, I don't understand this idea of yours that a teacher would necessarily be incompetent in the proper handling and use of a firearm. Where are you getting that from? I'm thinking you are forming too many of your opinions about guns based off of what you see on television.
if parents in a certain district want guards for a school and if they agree to a tax increase to get a company to do it, sure .. why not ... at least the company is hired for that specific task and trained on it ... its not so much teachers that are incompetent, its the whole issue of their job .. if the shooting happened in a dmv would the talk be arming all tellers at the dmv? or after the shooting at the theatre, was their talk of arming all those who work the concession stands? imo, if you are going to arm people as part of their jobs, its easier said than done ... do they get compensated? who buys the guns and ammo, who pays license fees and for training? how often are they trained? did they also get resiliency training so they don't go postal now that they have a loaded gun in the room .. i wouldn't feel safe sending my kids to a school with an armed teacher (or to the movies with armed tellers) if many of these questions have been thoroughly answered ..
Old 01-11-2013, 06:29 PM
Administrator

Quote:
if parents in a certain district want guards for a school and if they agree to a tax increase to get a company to do it, sure .. why not ... at least the company is hired for that specific task and trained on it ... its not so much teachers that are incompetent, its the whole issue of their job .. if the shooting happened in a dmv would the talk be arming all tellers at the dmv? or after the shooting at the theatre, was their talk of arming all those who work the concession stands? imo, if you are going to arm people as part of their jobs, its easier said than done ... do they get compensated? who buys the guns and ammo, who pays license fees and for training? how often are they trained? did they also get resiliency training so they don't go postal now that they have a loaded gun in the room .. i wouldn't feel safe sending my kids to a school with an armed teacher (or to the movies with armed tellers) if many of these questions have been thoroughly answered ..
You seem to be working under the assumption that we're talking about forcing guns into the hands of teachers who have never touched a gun in their life and aren't comfortable with handling them. I think most of us are talking about simply giving teachers the option to carry a concealed weapon, but only if they want to AND only if they have gone through the process of getting a concealed-carry license.

I wouldn't want an inexperienced teacher, who is scared to death of guns, to be carrying a gun around a bunch of school kids either. However, nobody here is proposing that.
Old 01-11-2013, 07:12 PM
Hailey's Dad

Quote:
sure ... whatever .. most shootings that happen in school (the ones that don't make the news) are targeted shootings so a student will bring in a gun just to shoot one kid or one teacher ... most of them are not going to be prevented by this ...
You're right. Arming the teachers might not prevent a shooting like that. That's not the point of arming the teachers. Letting teachers with a carry license carry in school is to help prevent mass shootings, or at least reduce the number of victims.

Then again, the situation you're describing might be deterred if the shooter knows he faces the possibility of armed faculty. As it is, everyone knows you can walk into a school and expect to face zero armed resistance.