Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > General Discussions > The Woodshed

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #31  
Old 12-27-2012, 08:18 PM
NateR's Avatar
NateR NateR is offline
Administrator
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 6,295
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonnie View Post
I think he did his wife's bidding and fired her because he knew his wife had seen the inappropriate things he had texted, and he was doing emergency damage control.
I think this really just goes to show that we will fill in the gaps for stories like this one based on our personal biases. Which is why it's so important for reporters to be thorough and not just report the facts that will support their own personal biases.

I'm saying that having biases are a bad thing. If you are an intelligent, thinking person, then you will have biases. Anybody who claims to be completely unbiased is either too unintelligent to form their own opinions or a liar.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #32  
Old 12-27-2012, 11:24 PM
F34R F34R is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 1,099
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by NateR View Post
I think this really just goes to show that we will fill in the gaps for stories like this one based on our personal biases. Which is why it's so important for reporters to be thorough and not just report the facts that will support their own personal biases.

I'm saying that having biases are a bad thing. If you are an intelligent, thinking person, then you will have biases. Anybody who claims to be completely unbiased is either too unintelligent to form their own opinions or a liar.
I disagree. I'm not biased, but I'm not unintelligent either. I don't treat people unfairly, or form opinions unfairly.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old 12-27-2012, 11:59 PM
NateR's Avatar
NateR NateR is offline
Administrator
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 6,295
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by F34R View Post
I disagree. I'm not biased, but I'm not unintelligent either. I don't treat people unfairly, or form opinions unfairly.
Everybody is biased and it's not a negative thing, it's just been given a negative stigma in recent times. You can't get rid of your biases, you can simply identify them and learn to take them into account.

For instance, I'm biased to prefer a Christian worldview over a Muslim, Hindu or Atheist worldview. If you are married, then you are biased to prefer your wife over every other woman on the planet. If you have children, then you are biased towards your children's welfare over the welfare of other children. If you want to see a murderer convicted for his crimes, then you are biased to prefer law over anarchy. If you want to live, then you are biased to prefer life over death.

Biases exist in every part of our lives and they can be very good things.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #34  
Old 12-28-2012, 01:00 AM
adamt adamt is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Iowa
Posts: 1,511
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by NateR View Post
Everybody is biased and it's not a negative thing, it's just been given a negative stigma in recent times. You can't get rid of your biases, you can simply identify them and learn to take them into account.

For instance, I'm biased to prefer a Christian worldview over a Muslim, Hindu or Atheist worldview. If you are married, then you are biased to prefer your wife over every other woman on the planet. If you have children, then you are biased towards your children's welfare over the welfare of other children. If you want to see a murderer convicted for his crimes, then you are biased to prefer law over anarchy. If you want to live, then you are biased to prefer life over death.

Biases exist in every part of our lives and they can be very good things.
i agree.... bias is one of those things that people think they "know" but in reality they don't understand. I think you are right. An example of something else that people think they know would be our senses. How many sense do you have? Five. Right? Wrong. There are many senses that a person has.Humans have more than five senses. Although definitions vary, the actual number ranges from 9 to more than 20. In addition to sight, smell, taste, touch, and hearing, which were the senses identified by Aristotle, humans can sense balance and acceleration (equilibrioception), pain (nociception), body and limb position (proprioception or kinesthetic sense), and relative temperature (thermoception).[249] Other senses sometimes identified are the sense of time, itching, pressure, hunger, thirst, fullness of the stomach, need to urinate, need to defecate, and blood carbon dioxide levels. Quoted partially from this wiki page http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...misconceptions

i am mega biased and am fully aware of it
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #35  
Old 12-28-2012, 03:27 AM
Bonnie Bonnie is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Where the bluebonnets bloom
Posts: 6,529
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by NateR View Post
I think this really just goes to show that we will fill in the gaps for stories like this one based on our personal biases. Which is why it's so important for reporters to be thorough and not just report the facts that will support their own personal biases.

I'm saying that having biases are a bad thing. If you are an intelligent, thinking person, then you will have biases. Anybody who claims to be completely unbiased is either too unintelligent to form their own opinions or a liar.
I agree we all have biases even if we don't realize it. When it comes to reporters, they should be professional and simply report the story whatever the facts may be, and keep their personal biases and opinions out of the story.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #36  
Old 12-28-2012, 06:31 AM
F34R F34R is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 1,099
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by NateR View Post
Everybody is biased and it's not a negative thing, it's just been given a negative stigma in recent times. You can't get rid of your biases, you can simply identify them and learn to take them into account.

For instance, I'm biased to prefer a Christian worldview over a Muslim, Hindu or Atheist worldview. If you are married, then you are biased to prefer your wife over every other woman on the planet. If you have children, then you are biased towards your children's welfare over the welfare of other children. If you want to see a murderer convicted for his crimes, then you are biased to prefer law over anarchy. If you want to live, then you are biased to prefer life over death.

Biases exist in every part of our lives and they can be very good things.
I just take the word and meaning for what it is. It's based on unfairness. That is just something I don't have in my soul. If I prefer my wife over any other woman, it's completely a fair decision based on our relation ship and vows taken under God. The same goes for my children. Their welfare isn't associated with me based on unfair preferences I give them.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #37  
Old 12-28-2012, 09:35 AM
TexasRN's Avatar
TexasRN TexasRN is offline
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Texan living in NC
Posts: 4,707
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonnie View Post
James (F34R) and Mike, I agree with both of you about this situation and this scumbag. However, I don't agree with the thinking that flirting is not cheating, and, I really don't like when the wife is used as the reason for why her husband is cheating!

I know a lot of people don't consider flirting as cheating, but I'll argue, why is a married person flirting if they haven't already crossed that cheating line in their head, thinking of taking things further? To my thinking, if you're married and flirting, you're flirting with cheating.

And, Mike, it sounds like you're blaming the wife for her husband's wrongdoing.

They said in the news video that, "even the court said her firing was unfair, but ultimately, decided it wasn't illegal." What's troubling is the precedent set with ruling that "employers can fire employees that they see as an irresistible attraction." I think this is leaving a big opening for abuse by employers, and for good employees, through no fault of their own, to be unfairly fired. I hope that someone can find a way to get this overturned the way it stands now.

Amy, Nate and Adamt, I didn't see anything in the article or video where it said this young woman did or said anything inappropriate in this whole thing. I think the court would have mentioned that if she had. It sounds to me like she was probably trying to handle this situation by just ignoring the inappropriate comments and behavior hoping he would get the message with her nonresponse. I could see where she might try to take that route first, but obviously, he was too blinded by his lust or just too thick in the head to get the silent message.

This guy is a louse.
I guess I just don't buy that the woman was completely innocent. By her texting him back and answered questions about her sex life, or lack thereof, she helped the dentist feel like the flirting relationship was ok. She may have been worried that she would lose her job if she spoke up, but then why keep the job? My soon to be husband would be super ticked off if one of the docs I work with asked me about our sex life. If one of the men I work with talked to me about a bulge in his pants over what I was wearing, I would take that as him flirting with me. I know that some feel that flirting can be harmless but it's too easy for that flirting to be taken farther and for emotions to get involved. It's a very slippery slope.
I'll agree that the dentist is a louse and he went to the pastor with his wife only after the wife caught him. However, I also think it's his right to fire her if that will save his marriage. He had to get out of the situation.


~Amy
__________________
__________________________________________

My son made this for me:
Reply With Quote
  #38  
Old 12-28-2012, 10:50 AM
NateR's Avatar
NateR NateR is offline
Administrator
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 6,295
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by F34R View Post
I just take the word and meaning for what it is. It's based on unfairness. That is just something I don't have in my soul. If I prefer my wife over any other woman, it's completely a fair decision based on our relation ship and vows taken under God. The same goes for my children. Their welfare isn't associated with me based on unfair preferences I give them.
Of course a bias is based on unfairness. Did you try out every woman on the planet before you decided that your wife was the right one for you? I would assume the answer to that is no, so isn't your decision to prefer your wife over any other woman an unfair one?

Also you don't really choose your children, you just kind of get stuck with whatever you get. So, how do you know that there aren't other children out in the world more worthy of your care than the ones that you just happen to share DNA with? Doesn't seem fair to me. (In case you can't tell, I'm being more than a little tongue-in-cheek with these responses. No offense is intended.)

As Christians we are actually required to be biased, because GOD Himself is biased (Malachi 1:2-3; Exodus 33:19; Romans 9:18). It's not fair, but then again was it fair that Jesus Christ had to suffer and die for the rest of us when He never did anything wrong? But I digress, because I don't think we, as sinful human beings, want to travel too far down that road of fair vs. unfair when it comes to GOD. Because if we got what was fair, then we would all be in Hell right now.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #39  
Old 12-28-2012, 06:03 PM
Bonnie Bonnie is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Where the bluebonnets bloom
Posts: 6,529
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasRN View Post
I guess I just don't buy that the woman was completely innocent. By her texting him back and answered questions about her sex life, or lack thereof, she helped the dentist feel like the flirting relationship was ok. She may have been worried that she would lose her job if she spoke up, but then why keep the job? My soon to be husband would be super ticked off if one of the docs I work with asked me about our sex life. If one of the men I work with talked to me about a bulge in his pants over what I was wearing, I would take that as him flirting with me. I know that some feel that flirting can be harmless but it's too easy for that flirting to be taken farther and for emotions to get involved. It's a very slippery slope.
I'll agree that the dentist is a louse and he went to the pastor with his wife only after the wife caught him. However, I also think it's his right to fire her if that will save his marriage. He had to get out of the situation.


~Amy
Yeah. I was going by what was said in the article, about what the court found regarding the texts, but as Nathan pointed out to me, we may not be getting all the facts.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #40  
Old 12-28-2012, 06:13 PM
Bonnie Bonnie is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Where the bluebonnets bloom
Posts: 6,529
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by NateR View Post

Also you don't really choose your children, you just kind of get stuck with whatever you get.
__________________
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 05:10 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.