Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > General Discussions > The Woodshed

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #31  
Old 12-27-2012, 08:18 PM
NateR's Avatar
NateR NateR is offline
Administrator
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 5,742
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonnie View Post
I think he did his wife's bidding and fired her because he knew his wife had seen the inappropriate things he had texted, and he was doing emergency damage control.
I think this really just goes to show that we will fill in the gaps for stories like this one based on our personal biases. Which is why it's so important for reporters to be thorough and not just report the facts that will support their own personal biases.

I'm saying that having biases are a bad thing. If you are an intelligent, thinking person, then you will have biases. Anybody who claims to be completely unbiased is either too unintelligent to form their own opinions or a liar.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #32  
Old 12-27-2012, 11:24 PM
F34R F34R is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 1,103
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by NateR View Post
I think this really just goes to show that we will fill in the gaps for stories like this one based on our personal biases. Which is why it's so important for reporters to be thorough and not just report the facts that will support their own personal biases.

I'm saying that having biases are a bad thing. If you are an intelligent, thinking person, then you will have biases. Anybody who claims to be completely unbiased is either too unintelligent to form their own opinions or a liar.
I disagree. I'm not biased, but I'm not unintelligent either. I don't treat people unfairly, or form opinions unfairly.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old 12-27-2012, 11:59 PM
NateR's Avatar
NateR NateR is offline
Administrator
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 5,742
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by F34R View Post
I disagree. I'm not biased, but I'm not unintelligent either. I don't treat people unfairly, or form opinions unfairly.
Everybody is biased and it's not a negative thing, it's just been given a negative stigma in recent times. You can't get rid of your biases, you can simply identify them and learn to take them into account.

For instance, I'm biased to prefer a Christian worldview over a Muslim, Hindu or Atheist worldview. If you are married, then you are biased to prefer your wife over every other woman on the planet. If you have children, then you are biased towards your children's welfare over the welfare of other children. If you want to see a murderer convicted for his crimes, then you are biased to prefer law over anarchy. If you want to live, then you are biased to prefer life over death.

Biases exist in every part of our lives and they can be very good things.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #34  
Old 12-28-2012, 01:00 AM
adamt adamt is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Iowa
Posts: 1,511
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by NateR View Post
Everybody is biased and it's not a negative thing, it's just been given a negative stigma in recent times. You can't get rid of your biases, you can simply identify them and learn to take them into account.

For instance, I'm biased to prefer a Christian worldview over a Muslim, Hindu or Atheist worldview. If you are married, then you are biased to prefer your wife over every other woman on the planet. If you have children, then you are biased towards your children's welfare over the welfare of other children. If you want to see a murderer convicted for his crimes, then you are biased to prefer law over anarchy. If you want to live, then you are biased to prefer life over death.

Biases exist in every part of our lives and they can be very good things.
i agree.... bias is one of those things that people think they "know" but in reality they don't understand. I think you are right. An example of something else that people think they know would be our senses. How many sense do you have? Five. Right? Wrong. There are many senses that a person has.Humans have more than five senses. Although definitions vary, the actual number ranges from 9 to more than 20. In addition to sight, smell, taste, touch, and hearing, which were the senses identified by Aristotle, humans can sense balance and acceleration (equilibrioception), pain (nociception), body and limb position (proprioception or kinesthetic sense), and relative temperature (thermoception).[249] Other senses sometimes identified are the sense of time, itching, pressure, hunger, thirst, fullness of the stomach, need to urinate, need to defecate, and blood carbon dioxide levels. Quoted partially from this wiki page http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...misconceptions

i am mega biased and am fully aware of it
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #35  
Old 12-28-2012, 03:27 AM
Bonnie Bonnie is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Where the bluebonnets bloom
Posts: 6,698
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by NateR View Post
I think this really just goes to show that we will fill in the gaps for stories like this one based on our personal biases. Which is why it's so important for reporters to be thorough and not just report the facts that will support their own personal biases.

I'm saying that having biases are a bad thing. If you are an intelligent, thinking person, then you will have biases. Anybody who claims to be completely unbiased is either too unintelligent to form their own opinions or a liar.
I agree we all have biases even if we don't realize it. When it comes to reporters, they should be professional and simply report the story whatever the facts may be, and keep their personal biases and opinions out of the story.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #36  
Old 12-28-2012, 06:31 AM
F34R F34R is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 1,103
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by NateR View Post
Everybody is biased and it's not a negative thing, it's just been given a negative stigma in recent times. You can't get rid of your biases, you can simply identify them and learn to take them into account.

For instance, I'm biased to prefer a Christian worldview over a Muslim, Hindu or Atheist worldview. If you are married, then you are biased to prefer your wife over every other woman on the planet. If you have children, then you are biased towards your children's welfare over the welfare of other children. If you want to see a murderer convicted for his crimes, then you are biased to prefer law over anarchy. If you want to live, then you are biased to prefer life over death.

Biases exist in every part of our lives and they can be very good things.
I just take the word and meaning for what it is. It's based on unfairness. That is just something I don't have in my soul. If I prefer my wife over any other woman, it's completely a fair decision based on our relation ship and vows taken under God. The same goes for my children. Their welfare isn't associated with me based on unfair preferences I give them.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #