Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > General Discussions > The Woodshed

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-16-2012, 03:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NateR View Post
The problem is with people not inanimate objects.

Really? Does that actually happen? Teachers just decide to shoot up all the students that they work with every day? If you can cite some examples, then go right ahead. Otherwise, I think it's a pretty far-fetched scenario.

Besides, IF a teacher was truly intent on shooting up all of her/his own students, then I don't think the current laws would provide much of a deterrent at all.

As for the students being able to gain control of the guns, that could be prevented with the most basic of precautions.

Again, it's the knowledge that the shooter is going to be encountering armed resistance immediately after brandishing the firearm that I believe would provide the greatest deterrent to these kinds of shootings.

Of course, no law is going to stop all forms of violence, because human beings are evil and corrupted by our very natures. However, laws should never stand in the way of law-abiding citizens defending themselves from evil actions.
Nate, read what you said to Brad, "The problem is with people not inanimate objects." And that is the problem, "people...humans". And that's my point! A loaded gun in a locked cabinet is just that, it's not going anywhere by itself to shoot anybody. People are the unknown and unpredictable, you never know what might be going on with them, in their head, in their life, to set them off. They said Newtown, CT, was listed as one of the safest places to raise your family. Now they'll be forever known as the town where Adam Lanza killed 27 people, 20 of them children.

You and Mike talk about a shooter thinking twice if he knows he'll be encountering armed resistence...who, a shooter like this young man? Do you seriously think he was thinking with a sane rational mind; he shot his mother and then went to the school to shoot children. They said tonight that he shot each child multiple times, one child was shot 11 times. These kids were 6 and 7 years old. This is the mind that's going to be deterred? And what about the Fort Hood shooter, he definitely knew there were people there that had weapons, but that wasn't a deterrent, it wasn't going to stop him from shooting as many people as he could.

So, yeah, one day, it could be a teacher; we already know students will kill. Any human is capable of evil...right? Nothing is far-fetched where humans are concerned.

Last edited by Bonnie; 12-16-2012 at 03:41 AM.