Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > General Discussions > Politics

Old 12-12-2012, 05:50 PM
Administrator

Default Federal court strikes down Illinois ban on carrying concealed weapons

Illinois was the only state in the country that still had a ban on carrying concealed weapons, so it's good to see that ban finally lifted.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2012...ealed-weapons/

Quote:
In a victory for gun rights advocates, a federal appeals court on Tuesday struck down Illinois' ban on carrying concealed weapons -- the only total concealed-carry ban in the country.

The 7th Circuit Court of Appeals gave state lawmakers six months to come up with their own version of the law that legalizes concealed carry.

"We're extremely pleased with the ruling," Illinois State Rifle Association leader Richard Pearson said. "Now that the court has ruled ... we will work as soon as possible with legislators to craft a concealed-carry bill for the state of Illinois."

The 2-1 decision marks a huge win for gun rights advocates who have argued that the ban on concealed weapons violates the U.S. Constitution's Second Amendment and what they see as citizens' right to carry guns for self-defense.

A new law could be in place by January, Pearson said. A bill has already been written by Rep. Brandon Phelps that includes background checks, field provisions and other issues.

"Christmas came early for law-abiding gun owners," said Phelps, whose proposed legislation came within three votes of passing in 2011.

"I said on the floor, `A lot of people who voted against this, one of these days, you're going to wish you did, because of all the limitations and the safety precautions we put in this bill, because one of these days, the court's going to rule and you're not going to like the ruling.' Today's the day. The court's pretty much said there's no restrictions," he said.

Judge Richard Posner wrote in the court's majority opinion that the state "had to provide us with more than merely a rational basis for believing that its uniquely sweeping ban is justified by an increase in public safety. It has failed to meet this burden."

He continued: "The theoretical and empirical evidence (which overall is inconclusive) is consistent with concluding that a right to carry firearms in public may promote self-defense."

Illinois Gov. Pat Quinn, who favors strict gun control laws and proposed an assault weapons ban earlier this year that lawmakers defeated, has vowed to again bring legislation that would prohibit the sale or possession of semi-automatic rifles and other guns.

Attorney General Lisa Madigan's office, which is responsible for defending the state's laws, said it was reviewing the ruling and would comment later Tuesday.

The Associated Press contributed to this report.
Old 12-12-2012, 07:12 PM
Hailey's Dad

Good news.

Hope you do better than NJ with your conceal carry law. In NJ, it's technically possible to get a CC license but in reality it's nearly impossible for non-law enforcement to get one. We have to show a REASON why we need to carry. Like the ability to protect your own life isn't reason enough. You'll only get one in NJ if you routinely carry large amounts of cash, etc. as part of your employment. Stupid.
Old 12-13-2012, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by County Mike View Post
Good news.

Hope you do better than NJ with your conceal carry law. In NJ, it's technically possible to get a CC license but in reality it's nearly impossible for non-law enforcement to get one. We have to show a REASON why we need to carry. Like the ability to protect your own life isn't reason enough. You'll only get one in NJ if you routinely carry large amounts of cash, etc. as part of your employment. Stupid.
In Florida you just have to take a class and have the license and fingerprinting fee. They also do a background check. No felons allowed to get one. It's about $125 all together. I took a hunter safety course when i was about 16 because you had to have it to get a hunting license. That qualified me to get the concealed permit.

I think people should have to go to a class to learn very specifics on when you can and can not use the gun you carry. In the last year I have had many aquaintences get a concealed permit that had NEVER shot a handgun before but now they are carrying it!

**I want a new Springfield armory XD compact for Christmas. it's just like my husbands but little. Maybe I'll convince him to celebrate by buying it for me!
Old 12-15-2012, 03:22 PM
SupaDupaMod

Send a message via Yahoo to Neezar

This is all going to change with the school shootings.
Old 12-15-2012, 04:28 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neezar View Post
Yeah, I don't doubt that some Liberal idiot out there is going try to use recent events in order to advance their anti-gun agenda. But let's hope that cooler and more intelligent heads will prevail in this.
Old 12-15-2012, 10:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neezar View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by NateR View Post
Yeah, I don't doubt that some Liberal idiot out there is going try to use recent events in order to advance their anti-gun agenda. But let's hope that cooler and more intelligent heads will prevail in this.
If you listened to the President when he came out yesterday after the shootings, you knew what he meant when he alluded with "doing something".

If someone wants to hurt someone, they are going to find a way to do it, and if they want a gun, they're going to find a way to get one.
Old 12-15-2012, 11:39 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonnie View Post
If you listened to the President when he came out yesterday after the shootings, you knew what he meant when he alluded with "doing something".

If someone wants to hurt someone, they are going to find a way to do it, and if they want a gun, they're going to find a way to get one.
These are starting to happen so frequently now (this is the 3rd shooting that I can remember in 2012 alone), that I'm starting to wonder if these are being planned out as part of a larger operation to gain support for banning guns across the country.

As I mentioned in another thread. Making guns more difficult to acquire for law-abiding citizens is only going to make this country more dangerous and these shooting are going to start becoming more frequent.
Old 12-17-2012, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NateR View Post
These are starting to happen so frequently now (this is the 3rd shooting that I can remember in 2012 alone), that I'm starting to wonder if these are being planned out as part of a larger operation to gain support for banning guns across the country.As I mentioned in another thread. Making guns more difficult to acquire for law-abiding citizens is only going to make this country more dangerous and these shooting are going to start becoming more frequent.
not sure if you are serious .. i mean, you are starting to sound like those nuts who think 9/11 was an inside job ... but let me guess ... those guys are idiots right ...