Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > MMA Related > UFC

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #11  
Old 12-12-2012, 04:47 AM
Bonnie Bonnie is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Where the bluebonnets bloom
Posts: 6,674
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevint13 View Post
Bonnie, it was actually GSP/Diaz first. Then Nick blew off the press conference so Condit got the fight, then GSP got hurt the first time. It was kinda interesting because they just swapped opponents as Condit was to fight Penn. Then after Diaz beat Penn, then they gave him the shot back, until GSP got hurt again.

Dana is running this as a business and not really using rankings. People want to see GSP/Diaz, including me. However, Hendricks is clearly the #1 contender and should get the fight unless they make Silva/GSP. Another prime example of Dana's way is with the LHW division. He gave the shot to Chael as that is what the fans wanted, but now Henderson is getting passed up by Gustaffson for being injured back in August. IMO, Hendo is still the #1 contender. It is like the starting QB getting hurt and losing his starting position when he gets healthy.
I really thought Condit was first, but if you say no, I believe you, Kevin. I thought Condit was supposed to fight GSP, then Dana switched him out for Diaz and put Condit with Penn, and when GSP got hurt, he switched Condit again and then put Diaz with Penn. I remember thinking how unfair all this was to Condit, the way Dana was jerking him around.

I understand about business, I just don't like when Dana tries to BS us when we know exactly why he's doing it. Mainly I don't like the unfairness, these guys work so hard for so long to make it to the top, and when some of them have finally made it, they get the rug pulled out from under them. It sucks!
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 12-12-2012, 04:55 AM
kevint13's Avatar
kevint13 kevint13 is offline
Student of the Sport
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Greeley, CO
Posts: 685
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonnie View Post
I really thought Condit was first, but if you say no, I believe you, Kevin. I thought Condit was supposed to fight GSP, then Dana switched him out for Diaz and put Condit with Penn, and when GSP got hurt, he switched Condit again and then put Diaz with Penn. I remember thinking how unfair all this was to Condit, the way Dana was jerking him around.

I understand about business, I just don't like when Dana tries to BS us when we know exactly why he's doing it. Mainly I don't like the unfairness, these guys work so hard for so long to make it to the top, and when some of them have finally made it, they get the rug pulled out from under them. It sucks!
They did jerk Condit around. When GSP got hurt, he was promised the fight in February. Then after Diaz beat Penn, they asked Condit to "step aside" and let Diaz fight GSP. Then GSP got hurt again so they just had Condit and Diaz fight for the interim belt.

In some cases I would not be that upset with making a different fight than going with the #1 contender, especially when there are a few who have arguments as to who is the top guy. But with Hendricks I think it is pretty obvious that he deserves it the most.

And I agree, these guys go out and bust their asses to get to the top only to step aside when they are the most deserving. Fights should be made based on who deserves it fighting, not who can stir up the most controversy. But that is the difference between catering to the sport side and the business side.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 12-12-2012, 05:06 AM
Bonnie Bonnie is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Where the bluebonnets bloom
Posts: 6,674
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevint13 View Post
They did jerk Condit around. When GSP got hurt, he was promised the fight in February. Then after Diaz beat Penn, they asked Condit to "step aside" and let Diaz fight GSP. Then GSP got hurt again so they just had Condit and Diaz fight for the interim belt.

In some cases I would not be that upset with making a different fight than going with the #1 contender, especially when there are a few who have arguments as to who is the top guy. But with Hendricks I think it is pretty obvious that he deserves it the most.

And I agree, these guys go out and bust their asses to get to the top only to step aside when they are the most deserving. Fights should be made based on who deserves it fighting, not who can stir up the most controversy. But that is the difference between catering to the sport side and the business side.
Yeah.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 12-12-2012, 06:21 PM
rearnakedchoke rearnakedchoke is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 1,591
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevint13 View Post
They did jerk Condit around. When GSP got hurt, he was promised the fight in February. Then after Diaz beat Penn, they asked Condit to "step aside" and let Diaz fight GSP. Then GSP got hurt again so they just had Condit and Diaz fight for the interim belt.

In some cases I would not be that upset with making a different fight than going with the #1 contender, especially when there are a few who have arguments as to who is the top guy. But with Hendricks I think it is pretty obvious that he deserves it the most.

And I agree, these guys go out and bust their asses to get to the top only to step aside when they are the most deserving. Fights should be made based on who deserves it fighting, not who can stir up the most controversy. But that is the difference between catering to the sport side and the business side.
they did .. but he eventually got the shot .. and had nine months training for gsp ... with some of gsp's ex coaches ... not many people would down that ... and on top of that ... gsp, was only given clearance to start training a few months before the fight with carlos ... i think that is the reason carlos was able to hold his own so well in the fight ... i don't think diaz will be so lucky ..
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 12-12-2012, 06:58 PM
Bonnie Bonnie is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Where the bluebonnets bloom
Posts: 6,674
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rearnakedchoke View Post
they did .. but he eventually got the shot .. and had nine months training for gsp ... with some of gsp's ex coaches ... not many people would down that ... and on top of that ... gsp, was only given clearance to start training a few months before the fight with carlos ... i think that is the reason carlos was able to hold his own so well in the fight ... i don't think diaz will be so lucky ..
How can we know for sure when he started training? They might have put false info out there to make people think he had a shorter time to train than he actually did? You know what I mean? And Condit did quite a bit of damage to Georges' face. Yes, he lost the fight, but I think Condit's game, even from his back, forced Georges to raise his own. I think the fact the fight was as good as it was was due more to Condit and he deserves some credit.

Why do you think Georges is wanting Diaz now?
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 12-12-2012, 07:44 PM
kevint13's Avatar
kevint13 kevint13 is offline
Student of the Sport
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Greeley, CO
Posts: 685
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonnie View Post
Why do you think Georges is wanting Diaz now?
I think GSP wants this fight for a couple of reasons. First is that there is still bad blood between the two. Diaz called him out after he beat Penn, said he was faking being hurt. GSP, supposedly, really wanted the fight then.

Second, I think GSP sees this as a good matchup for him....better than Hendricks or Silva. If GSP can get this fight to the ground and keep it there, don't be surprised that this fight looks similar to Nate/Henderson. Nick will want to box, like Nate did, and you can't box a guy when you are on your back.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 12-12-2012, 09:57 PM
rearnakedchoke rearnakedchoke is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 1,591
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonnie View Post
How can we know for sure when he started training? They might have put false info out there to make people think he had a shorter time to train than he actually did? You know what I mean? And Condit did quite a bit of damage to Georges' face. Yes, he lost the fight, but I think Condit's game, even from his back, forced Georges to raise his own. I think the fact the fight was as good as it was was due more to Condit and he deserves some credit.

Why do you think Georges is wanting Diaz now?
yeah, you could be right ... 0h, i give condit plenty of credit ... i thought gsp woulda ran through him (winning 4 outta 5 rounds imo aint bad) .. and i think condit did most of the damage to gsp striking from the ground (except when he kicked him in the head with a kick .. lol)

and gsp recovered pretty quick .... well, now we get to see rory and condit again in march, so that should be good .....
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 12-13-2012, 03:31 AM
Bonnie Bonnie is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Where the bluebonnets bloom
Posts: 6,674
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rearnakedchoke View Post
yeah, you could be right ... 0h, i give condit plenty of credit ... i thought gsp woulda ran through him (winning 4 outta 5 rounds imo aint bad) .. and i think condit did most of the damage to gsp striking from the ground (except when he kicked him in the head with a kick .. lol)

and gsp recovered pretty quick .... well, now we get to see rory and condit again in march, so that should be good .....
I loved the kick part! The only thing that ruined it was the recovery!



Quote:
Originally Posted by kevint13 View Post
I think GSP wants this fight for a couple of reasons. First is that there is still bad blood between the two. Diaz called him out after he beat Penn, said he was faking being hurt. GSP, supposedly, really wanted the fight then.

Second, I think GSP sees this as a good matchup for him....better than Hendricks or Silva. If GSP can get this fight to the ground and keep it there, don't be surprised that this fight looks similar to Nate/Henderson. Nick will want to box, like Nate did, and you can't box a guy when you are on your back.
...we'll probably be looking at another 5-round decision.

Do we know who has the most consecutive wins by decision in the UFC by any chance?
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 12-13-2012, 03:04 PM
wavetar's Avatar
wavetar wavetar is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 220
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonnie View Post
Do we know who has the most consecutive wins by decision in the UFC by any chance?
Gotta be either Frankie Edgar or Jon 'Smoke Break' Fitch.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 12-13-2012, 04:39 PM
Bonnie Bonnie is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Where the bluebonnets bloom
Posts: 6,674
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by wavetar View Post
Gotta be either Frankie Edgar or Jon 'Smoke Break' Fitch[/B].
"Urban Dictionary" actually has that as a "term". That's a shame!
__________________
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 08:06 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.