Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > MMA Related > UFC

Old 12-06-2012, 10:20 PM
Student of the Sport

Default Dana White: Georges St-Pierre's next opponent will be Nick Diaz

http://www.mmafighting.com/2012/12/6...l-be-nick-diaz

Quote:
Nick Diaz may still be on suspension, but when he returns in early 2013, he'll return to an instant title shot according to UFC President Dana White.

"Georges St-Pierre went on vacation, but when he came back we were talking about Anderson Silva," White said. "He said, I want Nick Diaz. Me and Nick Diaz have unfinished business. We were supposed to fight. That's the fight that I want.'

"So, Georges St-Pierre has been a phenomenal champion, just a great guy to deal with for us. He doesn't ask for things. So if he wants to fight Nick Diaz, and Nick Diaz wants to fight him, then that's probably the fight we'll make."

Much of the recent talk around St-Pierre has revolved around a potential superfight against UFC middleweight champion Anderson Silva. A title defense against Diaz obviously ends that discussion for the time being, however White is sure both sides will revisit it if St-Pierre emerges victorious.

"Georges has been off for a year," White explained. "(Silva is) a tough fight for him to come back to. He asked personally for the (Diaz) fight."

White would not pinpoint a date or venue for the bout -- in fact, he said he had yet to even talk to Diaz -- however the idea of holding the event at Toronto's Rogers' Centre was intriguing to him.

As for the forgotten man in this situation, Johny Hendricks, White says the bearded contender won't be allowed to wait on the sideline and will likely fight once more before receiving a title shot.

"Listen, Johny Hendricks has had great fights," White said. "You talk about winning in spectacular fashion, this guy hits people so hard they skid across the Octagon. (But) he's in no position to demand anything. Georges St-Pierre is the champ, he has been forever. If that's the fight he wants, then that's probably the fight we'll give him if Diaz accepts it."
Old 12-07-2012, 12:02 AM
Hailey's Dad

Cool.

I'd rather see him fight Diaz than Hendricks or Anderson right now.
Old 12-07-2012, 09:04 PM

I'd be happy if they make this fight happen. I agree it's unfinished business and would totally love to see GSP kick Nick's ass. Not that I'm saying it's a sure thing by any means, but that's the result I want
Old 12-11-2012, 04:48 AM

Why shouldn't Hendricks get the shot next, he won, Diaz lost! So Georges is calling out the guy who lost? This ticks me off! Dana ticks me off! He's trying to make Hendricks out to be the bad guy, why, because he actually dared to think that fighting and winning his way up the line he'd be next to fight GSP. Diaz loses but he gets the title shot!
Old 12-11-2012, 08:38 PM

By next opponent you mean Victim ?

GSP would F#$% both if them up regardless so its just a matter of time.
Old 12-11-2012, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonnie View Post
Why shouldn't Hendricks get the shot next, he won, Diaz lost! So Georges is calling out the guy who lost? This ticks me off! Dana ticks me off! He's trying to make Hendricks out to be the bad guy, why, because he actually dared to think that fighting and winning his way up the line he'd be next to fight GSP. Diaz loses but he gets the title shot!
I think most would agree that Hendricks deserves a shot, I mean he took out Fitch, Koschek & Kampmann who've all been floating around the top 5 for a while. However, I think GSP has also earned the right to ask for an opponent, especially one that he was scheduled to fight twice. Not to mention, more than a few people (I'm not one of them) believe Diaz won the Condit fight, and many of those also believe Nick has what it takes to beat GSP. So let's get 'er done & settled!
Old 12-12-2012, 02:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wavetar View Post
I think most would agree that Hendricks deserves a shot, I mean he took out Fitch, Koschek & Kampmann who've all been floating around the top 5 for a while. However, I think GSP has also earned the right to ask for an opponent, especially one that he was scheduled to fight twice. Not to mention, more than a few people (I'm not one of them) believe Diaz won the Condit fight, and many of those also believe Nick has what it takes to beat GSP. So let's get 'er done & settled!
If I'm remembering correctly (and please correct me if I'm not) Condit was supposed to fight GSP first until Dana started jerking him around by putting Diaz in that spot, and then when Diaz had it, he blows off the publicity promotion he was supposed to be at. When I see someone treating that kind of opportunity so cavalierly especially when they were put ahead of the line and handed the shot, I have little patience or respect for them.

And I don't agree, I don't think Dana should be letting GSP pick his opponents. If no one else can do that, GSP shouldn't be allowed to do it, period. That's one of the things I don't like about Dana, he wants to play favorites with certain fighters and treat others unfairly. You say GSP has "earned", so what, others have "earned" too, but that doesn't seem to matter to Dana, or GSP for that matter! Dana is just using that to place Diaz in that spot; he is so transparent!

I guess Georges thinks Nick is the easier opponent out of the three. I think it will be funny if Nick ends up winning. I hope they get a camera shot of Dana's face if that happens!

Last edited by Bonnie; 12-12-2012 at 02:38 AM.
Old 12-12-2012, 02:35 AM

Another 5 round decision. Meh.

I want to see GSP vs Spider; if not him, then Hendricks. Bonnie is exactly right, IMO.

Rejoice ever more. 1 Thessalonians 5:16
Old 12-12-2012, 02:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flo View Post
Another 5 round decision. Meh.

I want to see GSP vs Spider; if not him, then Hendricks. Bonnie is exactly right, IMO.
It will be interesting to see how things play out with Diaz, if he'll be a "no show" again for any of his obligations for the fight. If he does pull any stunts, I'll have little sympathy for Dana or GSP.
Old 12-12-2012, 03:02 AM
Student of the Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonnie View Post
If I'm remembering correctly (and please correct me if I'm not) Condit was supposed to fight GSP first until Dana started jerking him around by putting Diaz in that spot, and then when Diaz had it, he blows off the publicity promotion he was supposed to be at.
Bonnie, it was actually GSP/Diaz first. Then Nick blew off the press conference so Condit got the fight, then GSP got hurt the first time. It was kinda interesting because they just swapped opponents as Condit was to fight Penn. Then after Diaz beat Penn, then they gave him the shot back, until GSP got hurt again.

Dana is running this as a business and not really using rankings. People want to see GSP/Diaz, including me. However, Hendricks is clearly the #1 contender and should get the fight unless they make Silva/GSP. Another prime example of Dana's way is with the LHW division. He gave the shot to Chael as that is what the fans wanted, but now Henderson is getting passed up by Gustaffson for being injured back in August. IMO, Hendo is still the #1 contender. It is like the starting QB getting hurt and losing his starting position when he gets healthy.