Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > MMA Related > UFC

Old 11-21-2012, 10:11 AM
MMA, VCU, & Doctor Who

Send a message via AIM to VCURamFan
Default No place for Cris Cyborg in UFC if she can't make 135 pounds, Dana White says

From MMAFighting.com:

Quote:
MONTREAL -- With Cris Cyborg's steroid suspension set to expire in December, and the UFC set to bring women's MMA into its octagon shortly thereafter, these should be happy days for Cyborg. But instead, she's faced with a major decision about her career based upon Dana's White empathic proclamation on her place in the UFC.

The thing is, she might not have one.

White made it clear on Saturday night that he is only bringing in one weight division to the UFC: the 135-pound division. And with Cyborg's continued insistence that she cannot cut below 145, well, that could leave her with no place to go.

White confirmed that there would be no place in the UFC for Cyborg unless she hits 135.

"Right," he said when asked if that was indeed the case. "I'm bringing in the 135-pound division. That's what I'm doing."

Ronda Rousey has already been named the division's champion, with her Strikeforce belt being traded in for a shiny new UFC belt. Cyborg was the Strikeforce 145-pound champ but was stripped of the gold after testing positive for stanozolol following her Dec. 17, 2011 match with Hiroko Yamanaka.

That division holds little interest for White and his matchmakers, who see most of the women's talent at 135 and below. And because of it, he warned Cyborg that she'd have to come down to Rousey's weight class or be out of a job.

"I haven’t [talked to her] but our matchmakers have talked to her camp and she doesn’t seem too excited to fight Ronda," he said. "We’re bringing in the 135-pound division, that’s what we’re doing. I’m trying this women’s thing out. Ronda’s the champ. I think that Ronda has the potential to be a big star. She’s already getting media we’ve never even gotten before and she’s never even set foot in the UFC. That’s the division we’re bringing in, the 135-pound division, so I don’t know. We’ll see."
Old 11-21-2012, 01:49 PM
Hailey's Dad

Cyborg should just admit she's a man and fight Benson Henderson.
Old 11-21-2012, 02:21 PM
MMA, VCU, & Doctor Who

Send a message via AIM to VCURamFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by County Mike View Post
Cyborg should just admit she's a man and fight Benson Henderson.
145 = Jose Aldo

Actually, not a bad match-up!
Old 11-21-2012, 02:55 PM
Hailey's Dad

OH yeah. Either way.