Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > MMA Related > UFC

Old 11-19-2012, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by preach View Post
So when is the GSP and Carlos fight? I have not heard anything about it yet. I will go out on a limb and say that the next fight that GSP is in that gets finished will be the next one that he loses. He has not got the drive or ability to finish fighters and age is only going to catch him. No matter if you are a GSP fan or not from everyone I have talked to the Hendricks fight stoled the show
I'm not sure what's up with Georges, I mean, he finished people with submissions and TKO's before his loss to Serra, and, he obviously had the drive and fire to win it back, but since then...

I would like to see Hendricks fight GSP, but I heard Anderson say in the pre-fight interview with Ariel Helwani that Georges told Dana if he won, he'd want the fight with Anderson to take place in May of 2013, not sure if that will happen, but that's what he told Ariel. I definitely got the impression from Anderson that he's looking forward to the superfight with GSP...he likes GSP and thinks he's great.

Last edited by Bonnie; 11-19-2012 at 07:59 PM.
Old 11-19-2012, 07:53 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by rearnakedchoke View Post
i'll say it, gsp is the greatest ww ever ..
No way. Matt fought to win, GSP only fights not to lose. There is a big difference. GSP will never take the title of greatest welterweight of all-time away from Matt.
Old 11-19-2012, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NateR View Post
No way. Matt fought to win, GSP only fights not to lose. There is a big difference. GSP will never take the title of greatest welterweight of all-time away from Matt.
gsp fights to win ... don't know what you are talking about ..
Old 11-19-2012, 08:11 PM
Student of the Sport

Quote:
Matt fought to finish fights. And I have hope that GSP will start to fight this way also.

And Matt, himself, has said the same thing that Nate did about fighting not to lose...does he not know what he is talking about?

Edit: It seems like we have this discussion/argument every few months and there is no definitive answer. We all have different criteria for why we think someone is great and someone is not. I think Matt is, but I can see the argument for GSP. But I don't want to get trapped in this discussion again and am bowing out now.

Last edited by kevint13; 11-19-2012 at 08:20 PM.
Old 11-19-2012, 08:19 PM

Quote:
being a fan a giving credit are two different things ... i'll say it, gsp is the greatest ww ever ... right now anderson is the greatest fighter ever .... i think though, when it is all said and done .. gsp will be regarded as greatest ever ..
You forgot to put, "in my opinion"! Just teas'n you RNC!

But, seriously, "regarded as greatest ever"? That implies there will never be another next "greatest" to come along. Is that what you are saying?

Edit: Plus, you take away from all the greats that came before. I think saying, "one of the greatest, or currently..." would be more accurate.

Last edited by Bonnie; 11-20-2012 at 07:22 AM.
Old 11-19-2012, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevint13 View Post
Matt fought to finish fights. And I have hope that GSP will start to fight this way also.

And Matt, himself, has said the same thing that Nate did about fighting not to lose...does he not know what he is talking about?

Edit: It seems like we have this discussion/argument every few months and there is no definitive answer. We all have different criteria for why we think someone is great and someone is not. I think Matt is, but I can see the argument for GSP. But I don't want to get trapped in this discussion again and am bowing out now.
Old 11-19-2012, 08:34 PM

Quote:
This.

Rejoice ever more. 1 Thessalonians 5:16
Old 11-19-2012, 09:13 PM
Administrator

Quote:
I'm talking about a fighter who either cannot finish a fight, which means that he is lacking some skill necessary in that department, or a fighter who is unwilling to finish a fight, which indicates that he is playing it safe and isn't interested in taking a risk that might cause him to lose.

Regardless of which one best describes GSP, it makes him a lesser fighter and a lesser champion compared to Matt.
Old 11-19-2012, 10:46 PM

Quote:
I'm talking about a fighter who either cannot finish a fight, which means that he is lacking some skill necessary in that department, or a fighter who is unwilling to finish a fight, which indicates that he is playing it safe and isn't interested in taking a risk that might cause him to lose.

Regardless of which one best describes GSP, it makes him a lesser fighter and a lesser champion compared to Matt.
you should really watch the fight sometime....just saying.
Old 11-19-2012, 10:50 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradW View Post
you should really watch the fight sometime....just saying.
Are you talking about this latest fight? Maybe, in a few years if I stumble upon it free on TV.