Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > General Discussions > The Woodshed

Old 11-11-2012, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyburn View Post

Got home today to find three out of seven budgies dead.

Peggy the Pied
Franklin The Spangle
Josie

all perished through a combination of factors, some of which was my fault. Here is my offical explaination

I regret to inform you that Josie the Budgie died today in the Budgie Flight of the Pulver House of Birds Aviary at Markenfield. The Exact cause of death remains unknown. It is thought that a combination of disruption caused by the switch on of the aviary heater, the rearrangement of the provisions to allow for overnight zebra finch acclimatizatio...n prior to release following the dire finch breeding season, the yo-yo tempritures this week in particular the winds in the early part and the replacement of fortified seed with a lower brand, and lack of budgie blinds probably led to a poor imune system and a slight chill which wasnt picked up on due to the fact its dark in the morning and dark by evening at this time of year and I hadnt replaced my damaged torch, which I did so tonight. She was not alone, but perished along side Franklin the Spangle, in similar conditions for the same reason. A third Budgie called Peggy died of exposure a few days ago but was only discovered today after exposure to the ellements when I accidently left her in the flight on the worst night. I have taken steps to ensure that the circumstances which led to this occurance are most unlikely to happen again. This includes proper adequet and permanent lighting for the Aviary so birds can be better inspected. Less frequent use of the heater incase its a cause, the banning of overnight acclimatization in anyway when there is more then one cage, a commitment to having the budgie blinds completed by sundown on tuesday, the assurence that on windy days the Flights will remain offlimits to the budgies without supervision and the promise to never stray from fortified seed.
Sorry to hear about your birds, Dave. Sometimes, unfortunately, it takes trial and error to find out what works best especially with a situation like this where the aviary is affected by the change in season. I know you'll figure it out.
Old 11-11-2012, 05:53 PM
Angry @ Injustice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonnie View Post
Sorry to hear about your birds, Dave. Sometimes, unfortunately, it takes trial and error to find out what works best especially with a situation like this where the aviary is affected by the change in season. I know you'll figure it out.
Yes...it was a somewhat steep learning curve this time. This has been the worst week in the history of the PHOB since the week that your namesake died along with Mike who committed suicide
Old 11-11-2012, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Yes...it was a somewhat steep learning curve this time. This has been the worst week in the history of the PHOB since the week that your namesake died along with Mike who committed suicide
I think Bonnie lived longest of all of them so far, didn't she?
Old 11-11-2012, 07:22 PM
Angry @ Injustice!

Quote:
I think Bonnie lived longest of all of them so far, didn't she?
Jens The Budgie lived the longest, Vernal Equinox 2009- Summer Solstice 2012
Wyman The Budgie lived Vernal Equinox 2010- Summer Solstice 2012
Bonnie lived Fall 2010 - Vernal Equinox 2012
Pettis Vernal Equinox 2010 to Vernal Equinox 2011

We dont know about many birds because they came and were sent to market

Jojo is the bird with the most potential at present, He is the only bird left in the Aviary that remembers Granville Road! He arrived Summer Solstice 2011 and has made it thus far to Fall 2012

One of my biggest regrets with my birds is the decision to downsize in 2011. I sent so many birds to market due to outside pressure to quell my passion in birds that by the time I moved into the Aviary I had half the number I'd had in the previous summer.

Imagaine had I kept Levon and Dane the zebra finches, and Rosy and Trio the Societies....I gave them all away!
Old 11-11-2012, 07:58 PM
Stump Rules!

I'm sorry about your birds Dave. I know how much they mean to you .

http://stumpdotcom.com/
Old 11-12-2012, 12:21 PM
Hailey's Dad

Mike committed suicide? That sucks.
Old 11-14-2012, 06:53 PM
Angry @ Injustice!

Yes...Mike was really timid and he didnt settle into the Aviary very well...in those days he was sharing a section with Jojo the Canary and Bonnie the Zebra Finch. Bonnie had an accident in the shed one night and she died...two days later Mike was found dead, he drowned himself in his water bowl...and...no...it wasnt deep enough for him to be under water even if he stood up or sat down in it.

Here is his memorial video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BcVPJow7Z2o
Old 11-14-2012, 07:11 PM
Angry @ Injustice!

Now I feel happy.

Last night I did not, I think the stress of last weekend caught up with me and I had a really bad anxiety attack which kept me up near enough the entire night AND was still with me this morning. But it faded during the day, and I was just left completely exhausted thanks to the lack of sleep.

I came home, and I got in, and I soaked in a long hot bath, and put on the heater, and baked some part bake rolls...and when I came out, I was positively glowing. It makes ALL the difference to be in Markenfield...my house, my beautiful home.

I have a lot to be thankful for.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CnNp3agElW4
Old 11-14-2012, 09:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by County Mike View Post
Mike committed suicide? That sucks.
Quote:
Yes...Mike was really timid and he didnt settle into the Aviary very well...in those days he was sharing a section with Jojo the Canary and Bonnie the Zebra Finch. Bonnie had an accident in the shed one night and she died...two days later Mike was found dead, he drowned himself in his water bowl...and...no...it wasnt deep enough for him to be under water even if he stood up or sat down in it.

Here is his memorial video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BcVPJow7Z2o
How do we know Bonnie's death was an accident? And then, 2 days later Mike commits suicide by drowning himself in his water bowl? Sounds suspicious to me! And who is the one bird that was with both of them?

JoJo!

Old 11-14-2012, 10:53 PM
Hailey's Dad

Quote:
How do we know Bonnie's death was an accident? And then, 2 days later Mike commits suicide by drowning himself in his water bowl? Sounds suspicious to me! And who is the one bird that was with both of them?

JoJo!

I think you're on to something. That murdering SON OF A BIRD!