Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > General Discussions > Entertainment

Old 11-09-2012, 07:42 PM
Allons-y

Send a message via AIM to VCURamFan
Default Spielberg and Tarantino Say 'No Thanks' to Star Wars

From SuperHeroHype.com:

Quote:
You better get used to these stories because every potential director in Hollywood has an opinion on the matter. Earlier today, we reported that Man of Steel and Watchmen director Zack Snyder denied wanting to sit in the director's chair for Star Wars: Episode VII. Now two more high profile directors have already said they're not interested.

Steven Spielberg told Access Hollywood: "No! No! It’s not my genre. It’s my best friend George’s genre.”

Now Quentin Tarantino told EW something similar: “I could so care less. Especially if Disney’s going to do it. I’m not interested in the Simon West version of Star Wars.”

It was revealed yesterday that Michael Ardnt (Toy Story 3) has written a 50-page treatment and is likely to write the screenplay. Star Wars: Episode VII is targeting a 2015 release.
Old 11-09-2012, 07:51 PM
Allons-y

Realized I never posted this here, so I copy/pasted from the Facebook discussion I was involved in on this topic:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Westcott
After settling down from the shock, I'm not quite as terrified as I initially was. Disney has completely resurrected Marvel's movie life (remember how terrible Spider-Man/X-Men 3 were?), plus Joss Whedon has always said that his inspiration from day one was the Millennium Falcon. If we get to see the genius behind Firefly, Dr. Horrible & Avengers live out his childhood dreams, I'm Ok with that.
October 30 at 5:26pm via mobile
With Joss already in the Disney family & other marquee directors turning this down (or at least expressing disinterest), I think this is the best possible outcome.

Realistically, prolly not gonna happen because Joss has his hadns way too full with Marvel stuff, but a guy can dream.
Old 11-10-2012, 04:50 AM
Administrator

Joss Whedon is out of the question at least for Episode 7. He's currently busy with Avengers 2, so there is no way he could direct a movie the size of Star Wars and have it ready by 2015.

The same goes for another rumored director, J.J. Abrams, who is tied up making Star Trek 2.

That doesn't rule out either director for Episodes 8 or 9, however.
Old 11-10-2012, 12:43 PM
Allons-y

Quote:
Originally Posted by NateR View Post
Joss Whedon is out of the question at least for Episode 7. He's currently busy with Avengers 2, so there is no way he could direct a movie the size of Star Wars and have it ready by 2015.

The same goes for another rumored director, J.J. Abrams, who is tied up making Star Trek 2.

That doesn't rule out either director for Episodes 8 or 9, however.
Yeah, that's what I'm afraid of. Plus Marvel's got him locked down on the new S.H.I.E.L.D. TV show & then also acting as a "consultant" on all the other films that'll be coming out in the meanwhile.

Haha, could you imagine the fan-boy brain explosions if JJ was directing Star Wars and Star Trek!
Old 11-10-2012, 01:17 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by VCURamFan View Post
Haha, could you imagine the fan-boy brain explosions if JJ was directing Star Wars and Star Trek!
The nerd-rage would be out of control.

I actually hope they get a lesser-known director who can focus on making it feel like a Star Wars movie and not like a "insert director's name here" movie.
Old 11-13-2012, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NateR View Post
The nerd-rage would be out of control.

I actually hope they get a lesser-known director who can focus on making it feel like a Star Wars movie and not like a "insert director's name here" movie.
Good point, someone could make a name for themselves, like Peter Jackson did with LOTR.

Rejoice ever more. 1 Thessalonians 5:16