Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > General Discussions > Politics

Old 11-07-2012, 06:19 AM
Angry @ Injustice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NateR View Post
I agree. The Electoral College is a case of our founders second-guessing themselves. It basically says that the President will be chosen by the American people..... but not really.

I think the basic assumption back then was that the average voter (keeping in mind that only white, male, land-owners were originally allowed to vote) was too uneducated to choose a properly qualified leader for our nation. Unfortunately, the fact that Barack Obama was even elected in the first place proves that they were probably right.
well to be fair on them...it does follow a Roman System...they believed that not everyone was capable of understanding politics and so only allowed certain people vote.

In a First World Country I do find it an extraordinary system that really needs a good reform particularly after last nights results...can we have a re-count
Old 11-07-2012, 02:47 PM

i think the real story is the dissaray of the GOP .. i honestly think it needs to be revisited, reestablished .. whatever you want to call it ... a large % of the population don't care about social issues like abortion, gay marriage ... they care more about economy, etc ... imo the party needs to move more moderate and not pander to the far right ... that wont win elections ... and last nite proved that there is lots to be done ...
Old 11-07-2012, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyburn View Post
well to be fair on them...it does follow a Roman System...they believed that not everyone was capable of understanding politics and so only allowed certain people vote.

In a First World Country I do find it an extraordinary system that really needs a good reform particularly after last nights results...can we have a re-count
no recount needed .. mitt is done ... even i was off on my latest map ... if you told me a week ago obama would take fla, ohio, va and colorado, i woulda said you were nuts ... the voting system was at its finest last nite!
Old 11-07-2012, 05:40 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by rearnakedchoke View Post
i think the real story is the dissaray of the GOP .. i honestly think it needs to be revisited, reestablished .. whatever you want to call it ... a large % of the population don't care about social issues like abortion, gay marriage ... they care more about economy, etc ... imo the party needs to move more moderate and not pander to the far right ... that wont win elections ... and last nite proved that there is lots to be done ...
Well, Romney only lost the election by 2.6 million votes in the popular vote; but they're still counting the votes in Florida so those aren't the final results. So that a pretty close margin and Republicans actually gained ground with most groups of voters, so I don't think it means that the Republican party needs to completely reinvent itself.

I believe this loss can simply be chalked up to Romney failing to define himself properly and allowing Obama to falsely define him early on in the election. Plus, I think Romney played it safe in the last few weeks of the election and that hurt him badly.

Obama went negative right of the bat, so playing dirty and demonizing his opponent won him the election.
Old 11-07-2012, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Either way, if Obama wins again, he will be a lame duck. The Republicans still control the House, so there's little chance that he will be able to do much in his second term.

I think the Republicans need to really start pushing the Benghazi issue and get Obama impeached ASAP.

Also, Obama's entire re-election message was essentially, "This job is REALLY hard, I need more time." That's not a strong agenda to get anything done in his second term. So, he'll likely have about as much influence as a neutered puppy.
Old 11-07-2012, 05:56 PM
Administrator

More fun facts about the election:

Obama won the election in 2008 with 365 electoral votes and he stepped into office with a Democratically controlled Senate and House of Representatives.

Last night Obama won the election with only 303 electoral votes. That's the first time in history that an incumbent President has won reelection by a smaller margin than he won election. Plus, Democrats failed to wrest control of the House of Representatives from Republicans.

So, it looks like Obama lost a lot of ground and is starting his lame duck term in a much weaker position than he was in 2008.

Also, Colorado and Washington became the first states to legalize recreational marijuana use. Of course it's still illegal at the federal level, so it will be interesting to see if this is going to be challenged by the Obama Administration.

If Obama does decide to uphold the federal law (which is his job), then I foresee him losing much of his popularity among the youth.
Old 11-07-2012, 06:06 PM

Romney should of attacked BO on the Bengahzi issue in that last debate. In fact, republicans.......if they're smart, should demand a full investigation. Although I think Romney was the lesser of 2 evils, I was hoping he would pull it out. Only because any thing is better than this marxist! I'm like Nate, I don't know if our country can take another 4 years of his policies.

With that being said, the results of the popular vote reflects that this country is truly divided. Both parties and the media did a great job of painting the right/left paradigm. Something our forefathers warned us about.
Old 11-07-2012, 06:10 PM

I'm eager to see how Gary Johnson did?
Old 11-07-2012, 06:14 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVEMAN1 View Post
this marxist!
He's an Obammunist. I can't take credit for that, I heard it from one of the commentators on Fox News and thought it was pretty funny.

Of course, it would be even funnier if it wasn't true.
Old 11-07-2012, 06:14 PM

Quote:
More fun facts about the election:

Obama won the election in 2008 with 365 electoral votes and he stepped into office with a Democratically controlled Senate and House of Representatives.

Last night Obama won the election with only 303 electoral votes. That's the first time in history that an incumbent President has won reelection by a smaller margin than he won election. Plus, Democrats failed to wrest control of the House of Representatives from Republicans.

So, it looks like Obama lost a lot of ground and is starting his lame duck term in a much weaker position than he was in 2008.

Also, Colorado and Washington became the first states to legalize recreational marijuana use. Of course it's still illegal at the federal level, so it will be interesting to see if this is going to be challenged by the Obama Administration.

If Obama does decide to uphold the federal law (which is his job), then I foresee him losing much of his popularity among the youth.
i like how you r taking the positives ... i just think it looks bleak for the gop ... and yes, it is the first time, but it coulda been worse and he coulda lost ... i think the american people spoke loud and clear, especially in fla, ohio and va ... mitt did mess up in alienating 47% of the population ... he shoulda done more with the womens vote .. considering he had a binder full of women ....