Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > General Discussions > Politics

Old 11-07-2012, 01:27 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyburn View Post
Your Electoral College system is not democratic IMHO...proportional representation might be fine for local government...but when your ellecting just one person...surely you should just have each individual person vote and count the votes...I dont understand who, or why your system was invented...but I dont really think its fair for one person to win like ten states...and another to win just one state and somehow they have the same number of votes
I agree. The Electoral College is a case of our founders second-guessing themselves. It basically says that the President will be chosen by the American people..... but not really.

I think the basic assumption back then was that the average voter (keeping in mind that only white, male, land-owners were originally allowed to vote) was too uneducated to choose a properly qualified leader for our nation. Unfortunately, the fact that Barack Obama was even elected in the first place proves that they were probably right.
Old 11-07-2012, 02:44 AM
LESS TALK MORE ACTION

Quote:
Originally Posted by NateR View Post
I agree. The Electoral College is a case of our founders second-guessing themselves. It basically says that the President will be chosen by the American people..... but not really.

I think the basic assumption back then was that the average voter (keeping in mind that only white, male, land-owners were originally allowed to vote) was too uneducated to choose a properly qualified leader for our nation. Unfortunately, the fact that Barack Obama was even elected in the first place proves that they were probably right.
Old 11-07-2012, 03:19 AM

Quote:
Because it means that the people want Romney, but the system put in place to elect the President actually goes against the will of the people. Thereby completely compromising the purpose of government of the people, by the people and for the people.

in that case, gwb woulda never been president ... cant have it both ways
Old 11-07-2012, 03:29 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by rearnakedchoke View Post
in that case, gwb woulda never been president ... cant have it both ways
That wasn't decided by the Electoral College, it was decided by the Supreme Court. The problem there was a faulty voting system in Florida.
Old 11-07-2012, 03:32 AM

Quote:
That wasn't decided by the Electoral College, it was decided by the Supreme Court. The problem there was a faulty voting system in Florida.
didnt gwb win ec and lose pv?
Old 11-07-2012, 03:38 AM
Administrator

Quote:
didnt gwb win ec and lose pv?
Yeah, but that has nothing to do with how the election was decided. It was so close and those votes in Florida were recounted and recounted until eventually the courts had to step in to decide.

Most news channels are calling the election for Obama right now, but it's still early. Remember "Dewey Defeats Truman?" It's not over until every vote is counted.
Old 11-07-2012, 03:42 AM

Quote:
Yeah, but that has nothing to do with how the election was decided. It was so close and those votes in Florida were recounted and recounted until eventually the courts had to step in to decide.

Most news channels are calling the election for Obama right now, but it's still early. Remember "Dewey Defeats Truman?" It's not over until every vote is counted.
i agree ... all the votes need to be counted ... but i think the chances are slim to none ... and i think obama takes the pop vote too .. so it wont matter
Old 11-07-2012, 03:46 AM
Administrator

Quote:
i agree ... all the votes need to be counted ... but i think the chances are slim to none ... and i think obama takes the pop vote too .. so it wont matter
Either way, if Obama wins again, he will be a lame duck. The Republicans still control the House, so there's little chance that he will be able to do much in his second term.

I think the Republicans need to really start pushing the Benghazi issue and get Obama impeached ASAP.

Also, Obama's entire re-election message was essentially, "This job is REALLY hard, I need more time." That's not a strong agenda to get anything done in his second term. So, he'll likely have about as much influence as a neutered puppy.
Old 11-07-2012, 03:54 AM

Quote:
Either way, if Obama wins again, he will be a lame duck. The Republicans still control the House, so there's little chance that he will be able to do much in his second term.

I think the Republicans need to really start pushing the Benghazi issue and get Obama impeached ASAP.

Also, Obama's entire re-election message was essentially, "This job is REALLY hard, I need more time." That's not a strong agenda to get anything done in his second term. So, he'll likely have about as much influence as a neutered puppy.
maybe ... time will tell ... no doubt the country is divided ... he isnt getting impeached ... i said it before, i'll say it again ... bobby jindal needs to save the republican party!
Old 11-07-2012, 04:00 AM
Administrator

Quote:
maybe ... time will tell ... no doubt the country is divided ... he isnt getting impeached ... i said it before, i'll say it again ... bobby jindal needs to save the republican party!
If the Republican Party can't defeat a candidate as left-wing as Barack Obama, then there is definitely something wrong.

I think Romney played it too safe in the campaign and spent too much time pandering to moderates. If he had stuck to conservative values, then things might have been different.

Unfortunately, it looks like America has elected a "rock star" who's totally incompetent when it comes to doing his job, but that's okay because he looks good on camera. As a result, we will be a much weaker and poorer nation in 2016 than we were in 2008, and we have no one to blame but ourselves.