Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > General Discussions > The Woodshed

Old 10-29-2012, 10:04 PM

Default Hurricane Sandy

Just saw where they say she's about to make landfall in about 30 minutes, looks like along New Jersey coastline, and that hurricane force winds will extend out 200 miles. They are saying people could feel the effects as far as a 500-1,000 miles out from the center. My thoughts and prayers for all those in her path and all who will be affected by this monster storm.

Last edited by Bonnie; 10-29-2012 at 11:33 PM.
Old 10-30-2012, 02:23 AM
Hailey's Dad

Atlantic City and a lot of the other coastal towns got slammed. I live far enough inland and have been fortunate so far. We got some water in the basement but otherwise OK. Should be all clear by tomorrow afternoon. Until then, still strong winds coming through but I'm hoping the worst is over.
Old 10-30-2012, 05:24 AM

That's good news, Mike. Have you lost power at all with the winds? I bet Mark (Llama) is grateful he moved from New York City!

I saw where Gov. Christie was angry that the Mayor of Atlantic City didn't evacuate the area. The thing is even with mandatory evacuations there are people who will not budge, unfortunately, some end up paying with their life.

Last edited by Bonnie; 10-30-2012 at 05:39 AM.
Old 10-30-2012, 11:57 AM

hope everyone in the affected areas are safe and well.they are all in my thoughts and prayers.xx
Old 10-30-2012, 12:13 PM
Hailey's Dad

My house lucked out completely. Lost electricity for about one second (just long enough to make the TV go out and have to be turned back on). No damage at all. Trash cans are even where I left them. I've seen some pictures of the coastline though, and it got trashed.
Old 10-30-2012, 12:21 PM
MMA, VCU, & Doctor Who

Send a message via AIM to VCURamFan

Here in RVA I never would have known there was a hurricane if it weren't for the news going nuts. It was just a rainy day.

'Course, they did send us home early from work, so I'm not complaining!
Old 10-30-2012, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by County Mike View Post
My house lucked out completely. Lost electricity for about one second (just long enough to make the TV go out and have to be turned back on). No damage at all. Trash cans are even where I left them. I've seen some pictures of the coastline though, and it got trashed.
Quote:
Originally Posted by VCURamFan View Post
Here in RVA I never would have known there was a hurricane if it weren't for the news going nuts. It was just a rainy day.

'Course, they did send us home early from work, so I'm not complaining!
Ben, you nut! I'm so glad both of you are okay.

Do we have any forum members in West Virginia where they got all the snow?
Old 11-01-2012, 09:52 AM
Super Moderator

We finally got to see aerial pictures of where Andy's grandfather's beach houses were (Ortley Beach at Seaside Heights). Both are gone, completely demolished. His grandfather actually built one of the houses with his father when he was a teenager so it had a lot of sentimental value to the family. The kids and I got to go stay there two summers ago and his grandfather sat with me on the porch telling me stories of WWII: watching the blimps fly over the water looking for German submarines and his grandmother walking around after dark ensuring everyone was following the blackout rules.

Andy's uncle's house had the first floor destroyed. His cousin lost her house and everything in it. His grandfather and aunt are without power and heat and they say it won't get turned back on until Nov 7th or so. With all of the damage, everyone is SAFE and unharmed so while we are sad about the stuff, we are soooo thankful that everyone came through safely.

~Amy

My son made this for me:
Old 11-01-2012, 01:10 PM

I'm sure people are in terrible shock, feeling completely devastated and overwhelmed by the massive scope and degree of destruction. And this is just the beginning--our hearts and prayers go out to them with all that they are facing in rebuilding and starting over.
Old 11-01-2012, 01:33 PM
MMA, VCU, & Doctor Who

Send a message via AIM to VCURamFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasRN View Post
We finally got to see aerial pictures of where Andy's grandfather's beach houses were (Ortley Beach at Seaside Heights). Both are gone, completely demolished. His grandfather actually built one of the houses with his father when he was a teenager so it had a lot of sentimental value to the family. The kids and I got to go stay there two summers ago and his grandfather sat with me on the porch telling me stories of WWII: watching the blimps fly over the water looking for German submarines and his grandmother walking around after dark ensuring everyone was following the blackout rules.

Andy's uncle's house had the first floor destroyed. His cousin lost her house and everything in it. His grandfather and aunt are without power and heat and they say it won't get turned back on until Nov 7th or so. With all of the damage, everyone is SAFE and unharmed so while we are sad about the stuff, we are soooo thankful that everyone came through safely.

~Amy
Man, that's really sad, Amy, sorry to hear it.