Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > MMA Related > UFC

Old 10-06-2012, 08:52 PM
Angry @ Injustice!

Default Jeremy Stephens to be Extradited???

Firstly...In all my knowledge of Americans, they vertually NEVER extradite their own.

Secondly...Where the hell are they thinking of Extraditing him to...and why?? Which country was he in when he supposedly hit someone???

Please dont tell me you have to go through extradition orders to remove one American in one state to be on trial in another American state...your states dont even have formal boarders...so that would be so inexcusably bizzare beauracticlly speaking to begger belief

Anyone know anything about this
Old 10-06-2012, 09:22 PM
MMA, VCU, & Doctor Who

Send a message via AIM to VCURamFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyburn View Post
Firstly...In all my knowledge of Americans, they vertually NEVER extradite their own.

Secondly...Where the hell are they thinking of Extraditing him to...and why?? Which country was he in when he supposedly hit someone???

Please dont tell me you have to go through extradition orders to remove one American in one state to be on trial in another American state...your states dont even have formal boarders...so that would be so inexcusably bizzare beauracticlly speaking to begger belief

Extraditing from Minnesota to Iowa. He committed the felony in Iowa, but was arrested in Minnesota. Either Iowa can asked to have him back & try him there, or they can (through some legal means I dunno) kinda shift the cahrges over & let Minnesota try him.
Old 10-06-2012, 10:01 PM

Quote:

From the article below, it sounds like he skipped his court date in Iowa on this assault charge from 2011. That's a no-no. I feel bad for Yves Edwards...I hope Dana paid him something(?) Here's the article:

http://www.mmafighting.com/2012/10/6...-admirable-and

Quote:
Dana White's loyalty to jailed Jeremy Stephens admirable, but Friday effort misguided

By Mike Chiappetta on Oct 6, 12:00p
Rafael Suanes-US PRESSWIRE - Presswire

Everyone would like to have a boss that supports them when they need it most. Not necessarily in a financial way, but in the way where they will stand behind you and put their hand on your shoulder when your life frays. UFC president Dana White offered both kinds of support to Jeremy Stephens on Friday. He spent most of the day and part of the night trying in vain to get Stephens released from jail in Hennepin County, Minnesota, after he had been arrested on a warrant stemming from an assault charge in Des Moines, Iowa.

In this politically correct world it's actually kind of refreshing to see a sports executive refuse to shy away from a decidedly risky decision. It would have been easier to wash his hands of Stephens and let him stew in jail. What I don't understand though is why White was so insistent that Stephens go on with his UFC on FX 5 fight as scheduled? While I agree that everyone has a right to their day in court, this was a problem of Stephens' own doing exactly for the reason that he had skipped his.

According to White, Stephens' arrest warrant stemmed from a 2011 incident. A Des Moines police department spokesperson reached by MMA Fighting on Friday night offered no specific details on Stephens' case, but said if he had been arrested in Minnesota, it was because he missed his court date. That means he's had nearly a year to deal with his legal problem and failed to do so.

Why, then, are we supposed to feel bad for Stephens missing his fight opportunity? For all we know, he could be completely innocent of the assault. That's it's own issue. But skipping the court date? That one is completely on him.

"Itís a big deal to him," White said of his scheduled fight with Yves Edwards. "This kid isnít Jon Jones or Rampage [Jackson]. Do you know what losing this purse means to a kid like Jeremy Stephens? It's a huge blow. This is how these guys make a living. This is how they feed their families. He spent money to get to this fight, money he probably didn't have. And now, heís really screwed because the fight didn't happen. I was willing to have two officers, armed police officers, bring him from jail to come fight tonight and then bring him back to jail. Let's do that. Let the kid get paid because he's going to have to spend money on this thing anyway. He's got a family to take care of. It's just crazy."

First of all, Stephens is not a "kid," as White refers to him. He's 26 years old. He's a father and he's been a professional athlete for seven years.

Second of all, the priority should be to take care of his situation, not rush him into a fight for a payday. White seemed to suggest that the state of Iowa was playing games with him as they were negotiating a release. But looking at it from their side, they've had a warrant out for Stephens for months and hadn't had any luck in bringing him in. When they finally nabbed him one state north, why wouldn't they take every precaution to ensure he was going to reach their custody?

I agree with White that the timing of it all sucked. Stephens has been in Minneapolis all week, and if they had arrested him on Monday or Tuesday, perhaps things could have been sorted out in time for him to fight. But White's suggestion that they intentionally waited until fight day to arrest him is a baseless opinion. I have been covering him for several years now, and I know that one thing he hates is when reporters or columnists make statements without a shred of hard evidence to back up their position. He can't presume to know the reason the arrest didn't happen until Friday.

"I'm telling you, I've never seen a situation where a guy couldn't get out on bail for an assault charge," he said. "It's an assault charge. He didn't murder three people. He didn't kill 20 people in three states, he's not wanted for any horrible crimes. It's an assault charge."

A felony assault charge on a professional fighter is no big deal now? White admitted that he didn't know any details of Stephens' arrest besides the charge he was facing. We don't know how bad the victim was allegedly hurt or if there are any other factors that might make it more severe than the charge already sounds.

Stephens' case was also complicated by the fact that he was arrested in Minnesota for a crime he allegedly committed in Iowa. That could account for the extra time necessary to sort things out. Instead of dealing with one bureaucracy, they were dealing with two. White's conspiracy theory is also hurt by the fact that Stephens was still in custody early Saturday morning, a full 12 hours after UFC on FX 5 ended.

White chose to have Stephens' back, and that's fine. He has a history of doing it. He did it with Rampage and Jones, and earlier this week, with Dennis Hallman, when he gave him his fight purse and win bonus even while cutting him due to personal problems the lightweight was dealing with. It's his prerogative to stand by his fighters, but he also needs to acknowledge when they screw up. Stevens put himself in this situation but White came off sounding like Stephens was the victim.

This situation wasn't Iowa's fault, it was Stephens' fault. To use a famous White line, that's what he gets for leaving it in the hands of the judges. The black-robe wearing, gavel-toting judges.

Back in the arena, poor Yves Edwards stayed loose all night, thinking that White was going to pull a magic trick and make Stephens appear out of thin air. It should have never come to that. It was Stephens' decision to miss a court date that led to his incarceration, and it was his penalty to pay.

"I'm always going to believe my guy and support my guy until I'm proven wrong," White said.

That kind of loyalty is admirable. It can also be misguided. And sometimes, like Friday, it's both at the same time.
Old 10-06-2012, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VCURamFan View Post
Extraditing from Minnesota to Iowa. He committed the felony in Iowa, but was arrested in Minnesota. Either Iowa can asked to have him back & try him there, or they can (through some legal means I dunno) kinda shift the cahrges over & let Minnesota try him.
I imagine Iowa is the one who issued the arrest warrant for his failure to appear on the assault charge, so I'm thinking he'll be transported back to Iowa...don't you?

I'm not sure what he was thinking missing that court date, he's just made everything worse for himself. Maybe he won't get bond because they'll probably consider him a flight risk.

Now that the fights have come and gone, do you think Dana will still "have his back"?

Last edited by Bonnie; 10-06-2012 at 11:10 PM.
Old 10-07-2012, 04:05 AM
Student of the Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonnie View Post
From the article below, it sounds like he skipped his court date in Iowa on this assault charge from 2011. That's a no-no. I feel bad for Yves Edwards...I hope Dana paid him something(?) Here's the article:

http://www.mmafighting.com/2012/10/6...-admirable-and
Yves got paid and will get another card here soon, that is what Dana said.

That article kinda bothers me, especially how the writer rips on Dana for him referring to Stephens as a "kid". Yet a few months ago Jones can get arrested for a DUI and it is more forgivable because he is "young".

No one knows what happened with Stephens' actual charge, but he definitely should have went to court.
Old 10-07-2012, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevint13 View Post
Yves got paid and will get another card here soon, that is what Dana said.

That article kinda bothers me, especially how the writer rips on Dana for him referring to Stephens as a "kid". Yet a few months ago Jones can get arrested for a DUI and it is more forgivable because he is "young".

No one knows what happened with Stephens' actual charge, but he definitely should have went to court.
Are you saying this writer referred to Jones as "young" a few months ago? If so, then, it does seem like a double standard. It drove me nuts when everybody kept referring to Jones as a "young kid" like that was the excuse for his DUI, "young and dumb". Jones isn't a "kid" and neither is Stephens.
Old 10-07-2012, 11:43 AM
Angry @ Injustice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by VCURamFan View Post
Well...if the States had proper Boarder Control, he wouldnt have been able to flee the State would he...thats what confuses me...These States act, Judicially like they are independant...but do NOTHING in a physical level to show they are serious....There appears to be NOTHING stopping someone being arrested in one State simply walking to another State...there is NO boarder control...

If you ask me this is six of one and half a douzen of the other. Jeremy Stephens has to be slightly dumb if he didnt realize he had to go to court...but the State Government is very dumb to assume someone guilty of a crime isnt going to walk freely across a piece of land and out of their jurisdiction. All it takes is a bloody Check post in the centre of a Bridge...its sheer laziness....No wonder its taken them a bloody year to find him...

Sorry...but this highlights a real issue with your whole State Government ideology....If Iowa wants its asset...why does it not have a Boarder Checkpoint to stop Jeremy Stephens crossing over that Bridge into Illinois?

Ive SEEN the Bridge with my own eyes...infact I walked across it...several times because I couldnt believe that you could step from one state to another without even knowing you'd passed from one SOVERIGN STATE to another....I made the same point when I was driven to Saint Loius Airport from Illinois...once again...another Bridge...and another split second crossing from one State to another...and I specifically asked where the checkpoint was

No Wall between Mexico and the US...and the Federal Government thing desperate people will simply respect what appears in practise to be an imaginary line???

All you needed was an aggressive Neighbour earlier in your history and you would have been screwed

and yet...you should see how strict they are with air-traffic, and I expect with shipping....So...do the States make Extradition pacts with each other? Or is it just a formality? In the international world, Extradition pacts are the stuff of nighmares for the host country of the crime...its like Iowa can ASK...but if they dont have a pact with Minnesota...well...its completely descretionary...thats why it would matter not only where the crime took place, but in which place the accused was native to. Supposing that Jeremy Stephens was born in Minnesota, but carried out the crime in Iowa then went back to Minnesota...why should Minnesota send one of its citizens to face charges in a different country with different laws?

You Country is in Entrophy on this level...which is why it makes no sense...on some levels the States are as Soverign as Independant States...they have extradition laws, and their crime and punishments are different...yet in other levels you act like State Governments mean nothing..there are no boarder checkpoints, noone cares which State you were born in because your all conglomerately considered "American" when actually thats a missnomer if you regard States as having Soveringnty.

So you can imagine, that for someone like me who lives in a completely Soverign State, and yet one in a Provincial Union so to speak...how onscure your State Governments are...Soverign sometimes, Unionized Other times, Able to Extradite from neighbours with whom they have no strict boarder controls with....

Very chaotic...I'm not surprised that Jeremy Stephens just left...what stopped him? Nothing...and if he'd not been a TV star...who knows how many years he could have moved...heck...he could probably go back to Iowa...and they wouldnt know he had come back...because noone follows immigration across state boarders...with the vast amount of land and states your Federal Government own, GOD help them if they ever have homegrown terrorists...they would NEVER find them or stop them...they would have access to ALL of mainland America
Old 10-07-2012, 04:10 PM
Student of the Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonnie View Post
Are you saying this writer referred to Jones as "young" a few months ago? If so, then, it does seem like a double standard. It drove me nuts when everybody kept referring to Jones as a "young kid" like that was the excuse for his DUI, "young and dumb". Jones isn't a "kid" and neither is Stephens.
Yup

http://www.mmafighting.com/ufc/2012/...ter/in/2970721

Quote:
Jones is 24 years old. He may have accomplished a lot at a young age; he may be a father, but he is still a young man.

This does not excuse what he allegedly did. It is not a reason for it, either. It's just a realization that judgment is sometimes clouded by the seeming indestructibility of youth. It's no accident that according to government statistics, the highest percentage of drunk drivers are the ones from ages 21-24.

Once you start getting a little older and have some time behind you, you realize that for many, youth is a time spent doing stupid things and hoping to survive.
Old 10-08-2012, 12:17 AM

Quote:
Well...if the States had proper Boarder Control, he wouldnt have been able to flee the State would he...thats what confuses me...These States act, Judicially like they are independant...but do NOTHING in a physical level to show they are serious....There appears to be NOTHING stopping someone being arrested in one State simply walking to another State...there is NO boarder control...

If you ask me this is six of one and half a douzen of the other. Jeremy Stephens has to be slightly dumb if he didnt realize he had to go to court...but the State Government is very dumb to assume someone guilty of a crime isnt going to walk freely across a piece of land and out of their jurisdiction. All it takes is a bloody Check post in the centre of a Bridge...its sheer laziness....No wonder its taken them a bloody year to find him...

Sorry...but this highlights a real issue with your whole State Government ideology....If Iowa wants its asset...why does it not have a Boarder Checkpoint to stop Jeremy Stephens crossing over that Bridge into Illinois?

Ive SEEN the Bridge with my own eyes...infact I walked across it...several times because I couldnt believe that you could step from one state to another without even knowing you'd passed from one SOVERIGN STATE to another....I made the same point when I was driven to Saint Loius Airport from Illinois...once again...another Bridge...and another split second crossing from one State to another...and I specifically asked where the checkpoint was

No Wall between Mexico and the US...and the Federal Government thing desperate people will simply respect what appears in practise to be an imaginary line???

All you needed was an aggressive Neighbour earlier in your history and you would have been screwed

and yet...you should see how strict they are with air-traffic, and I expect with shipping....So...do the States make Extradition pacts with each other? Or is it just a formality? In the international world, Extradition pacts are the stuff of nighmares for the host country of the crime...its like Iowa can ASK...but if they dont have a pact with Minnesota...well...its completely descretionary...thats why it would matter not only where the crime took place, but in which place the accused was native to. Supposing that Jeremy Stephens was born in Minnesota, but carried out the crime in Iowa then went back to Minnesota...why should Minnesota send one of its citizens to face charges in a different country with different laws?

You Country is in Entrophy on this level...which is why it makes no sense...on some levels the States are as Soverign as Independant States...they have extradition laws, and their crime and punishments are different...yet in other levels you act like State Governments mean nothing..there are no boarder checkpoints, noone cares which State you were born in because your all conglomerately considered "American" when actually thats a missnomer if you regard States as having Soveringnty.

So you can imagine, that for someone like me who lives in a completely Soverign State, and yet one in a Provincial Union so to speak...how onscure your State Governments are...Soverign sometimes, Unionized Other times, Able to Extradite from neighbours with whom they have no strict boarder controls with....

Very chaotic...I'm not surprised that Jeremy Stephens just left...what stopped him? Nothing...and if he'd not been a TV star...who knows how many years he could have moved...heck...he could probably go back to Iowa...and they wouldnt know he had come back...because noone follows immigration across state boarders...with the vast amount of land and states your Federal Government own, GOD help them if they ever have homegrown terrorists...they would NEVER find them or stop them...they would have access to ALL of mainland America
That's got to be the worst post I have ever seen on this forum and you have had some whoppers!....You sound like a Communist IMO...........
The States are independent of the Federal Govt....We, the American people have a FREE society. Unlike other countries where you are forced to do as they say and stopped and questioned every time you want to go somewhere, that is NOT freedom by any means.
If you knew anything at all about the United States Constitution, you would know that the American people have the freedom of movement (travel) to other States if they so please. It is illegal to be stopped during your travels for no reason. Check point on State lines is nonsense, sound like the old Soviet Union where they keep their people behind the walls pointing machine guns at them.
If Law Enforcement REALLY wanted him, they would of picked him up a long time ago.
We don't talk bad about your beloved England, so don't do it about the United Stated! If you don't like the laws and rights to citizens of our country, don't come here, stay in England since you love it so much.
Old 10-08-2012, 01:25 AM

kinda difficult to find the actual charges... Here's what Mins has:

Full Name: STEPHENS, JEREMY DEAN
Booking Number: 2012027864
Date of Birth: 05/26/1986
Sheriff's Custody:
IN CUSTODY
Housing Location:
SHERIFF'S JAIL - PSF Address
Received Date/Time: 10/05/2012 10:44
Arrested By: MINNEAPOLIS PD
Case/Count Description of Charge Charged By Reason for Arrest Severity of Charge State of Charge Bail Information Court Appearance Date/Time Court Appearance Location
1/1 OTHER STATE HCSO HOLD FELONY $0.00 HOLD W/O BAIL

I've already looked at Des Moines records, and they don't have an online registry for Polk County. They have a "most wanted" list, but not warrant search. I'll dig a little deeper.