Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > General Discussions > The Woodshed

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1741  
Old 10-05-2012, 11:55 AM
VCURamFan's Avatar
VCURamFan VCURamFan is offline
Waiting for June 6th
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Basketball Capital of the World
Posts: 14,334
Default









__________________
Reply With Quote
  #1742  
Old 10-05-2012, 12:03 PM
VCURamFan's Avatar
VCURamFan VCURamFan is offline
Waiting for June 6th
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Basketball Capital of the World
Posts: 14,334
Default









__________________
Reply With Quote
  #1743  
Old 10-05-2012, 01:03 PM
County Mike's Avatar
County Mike County Mike is offline
Hailey's Dad
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Millville, NJ
Posts: 859
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by VCURamFan View Post
Sauron and Darth Vader are both correct. Voldemort's an idiot.
(Calculations are assuming life in a vacuum where air resistance has no effect and the standard acceleration of gravity is 9.81m/s^2.)
Reply With Quote
  #1744  
Old 10-05-2012, 03:03 PM
VCURamFan's Avatar
VCURamFan VCURamFan is offline
Waiting for June 6th
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Basketball Capital of the World
Posts: 14,334
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by County Mike View Post
Sauron and Darth Vader are both correct. Voldemort's an idiot.
(Calculations are assuming life in a vacuum where air resistance has no effect and the standard acceleration of gravity is 9.81m/s^2.)
I sent this to my brother (physics teacher), too. Here's his response:

Quote:
Ugh I saw that and realized that there were too many comments for anything I said to be effective. So I wonder if the teacher is counting Sauron as correct since he's consistent within his own coordinate system (up is negative, down is positive) or if he's counting him as wrong to try to force the kids to conform to the conventional coordinate system...

Most heartbreaking comment: "There's not enough information because the teddy bear goes up first before it goes down, so not enough information is given to solve the problem".

I can't teach 'em all...
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #1745  
Old 10-05-2012, 05:27 PM
adamt adamt is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Iowa
Posts: 1,511
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by County Mike View Post
Sauron and Darth Vader are both correct. Voldemort's an idiot.
(Calculations are assuming life in a vacuum where air resistance has no effect and the standard acceleration of gravity is 9.81m/s^2.)
only darth vader is correct saurons answer is positive 21.2 m/s

darth vader's answer as a negative 21.2 (-21.2 m/s) was properly calculated
Reply With Quote
  #1746  
Old 10-05-2012, 06:06 PM
County Mike's Avatar
County Mike County Mike is offline
Hailey's Dad
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Millville, NJ
Posts: 859
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamt View Post
only darth vader is correct saurons answer is positive 21.2 m/s

darth vader's answer as a negative 21.2 (-21.2 m/s) was properly calculated
I was looking at it as solved correctly depending on point of view for upward being positive or negative. However, after re-reading the problem, it uses a 4m/s as the initial velocity of the bear so considering up to be negative velocity could be considered incorrect. I'll give you that one but if I was the teacher, I'd give either one credit for knowing how to do it.
Reply With Quote
  #1747  
Old 10-05-2012, 10:20 PM
adamt adamt is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Iowa
Posts: 1,511
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by County Mike View Post
I was looking at it as solved correctly depending on point of view for upward being positive or negative. However, after re-reading the problem, it uses a 4m/s as the initial velocity of the bear so considering up to be negative velocity could be considered incorrect. I'll give you that one but if I was the teacher, I'd give either one credit for knowing how to do it.
yes, i think you are correct that a case could be made for both, i think the teacher could give points either way as well

i didn't know you knew physics mike, you probably know it better than me
Reply With Quote
  #1748  
Old 10-06-2012, 08:11 PM
County Mike's Avatar
County Mike County Mike is offline
Hailey's Dad
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Millville, NJ
Posts: 859