Old 10-01-2012, 04:28 AM
SupaDupaMod

Send a message via Yahoo to Neezar
Default California bans 'conversion' therapy for gay teens

California will ban gay teen 'conversion' therapy

Last Update: 5:02 pm

Print Story | Share

(Inergize Digital)

SACRAMENTO, Calif. (AP) ó California will become the first state to ban a controversial form of psychotherapy aimed at making gay teenagers straight.

Gov. Jerry Brown announced Sunday that he had signed SB1172 by Democratic Senator Ted Lieu of Torrance. Lieu says the law will prevent children from being psychologically abused.

Effective January 1st, the state will prohibit what is known as reparative or conversion therapy for minors.

Brown says the therapies "have no basis in science or medicine and they will now be relegated to the dustbin of quackery."

Gay rights groups say the practice is dangerous because it can put youth at higher risk of depression and suicide.

Conservative religious groups and some Republicans argue that banning conversion therapy would hinder parents' right to provide psychological care for children experiencing gender confusion.
Old 10-01-2012, 01:42 PM

good for cali !!!!!
Old 10-01-2012, 02:43 PM
Administrator

The downward spiral continues and Satan's hold on this country gets stronger and stronger.
Old 10-01-2012, 02:51 PM
Formerly Dethbob

They will of course also ban teachers and other authority figures from promoting homosexuality to children, right?
Old 10-01-2012, 03:47 PM
SupaDupaMod

Quote:
Originally Posted by rearnakedchoke View Post
good for cali !!!!!
Do you believe that some children experience gender confusion? Some people don't. They think it boils down to a person being gay or not, that black and white.

If you do believe that some children can be experiencing gender confusion, do you believe that they should not be entitled to professional help with it?

Surely you don't think they should have to rely soley on friends, family or peers? I mean wouldn't you have to wonder if one or some of those areas could very well be part of the problem in the first place.

Some kids who 'feel gay' desparately want to be straight or 'normal' (a term that I have heard them use). I definitely don't think any kid should be forced into this but I don't think any options or offers of help should be taken away from them.
Old 10-01-2012, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neezar View Post
Do you believe that some children experience gender confusion? Some people don't. They think it boils down to a person being gay or not, that black and white.

If you do believe that some children can be experiencing gender confusion, do you believe that they should not be entitled to professional help with it?

Surely you don't think they should have to rely soley on friends, family or peers? I mean wouldn't you have to wonder if one or some of those areas could very well be part of the problem in the first place.

Some kids who 'feel gay' desparately want to be straight or 'normal' (a term that I have heard them use). I definitely don't think any kid should be forced into this but I don't think any options or offers of help should be taken away from them.
sure ... but some of the "therapy" includes shocking the patients .. sometimes in the genitals ... providing drugs that make them sick and hallucinate ... i don't agree with that ... prayer groups .. support systems .. they are fine .. i think someone just tries to make money off the religious by claiming they are a conversion therapist ... no one says taking your teen to a priest or pastor and having them read with the person parts of the bible that talks about homosexuality is wrong ... but someone taking their child to some pseudo-therapist is selfish and can definitely harm the person undergoing the therapy
Old 10-01-2012, 04:04 PM
SupaDupaMod

Quote:
Originally Posted by rearnakedchoke View Post
sure ... but some of the "therapy" includes shocking the patients .. sometimes in the genitals ... providing drugs that make them sick and hallucinate ... i don't agree with that ...
I would never agree with that either.
Old 10-01-2012, 04:06 PM
SupaDupaMod

I personally don't believe it is possible to 'convert' a gay person.

Old 10-01-2012, 04:11 PM

Quote:

well .. that is the dilemma ... some people believe it is a form of perversion ... while others feel it is a natural occurring thing .. i think people are born gay ...
Old 10-01-2012, 04:45 PM
Formerly Dethbob

Quote:
I think you are right in a sense. Most people donít get addicted to heroin, those who do have a built in weakness to that particular temptation. The same goes for people who develop a rage habit or kleptomania. That does not make it a healthy lifestyle or something that cannot be overcome.

I think RNC is right about some of the quackery, itís too bad so many of those who could actually help are either terrified of going against political correctness or are outright drinking the coolade.