Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > MMA Related > UFC

Old 09-13-2012, 04:29 PM
Student of the Sport

Default George St. Pierre “It’s hard to finish a guy who doesn’t fight to win.”

http://www.bjpenn.com/mmanews/2012/0...ews-36608.html

Quote:
Since 2007, every time George St. Pierre (22-2 MMA, 16-2 UFC) has stepped inside the octagon, it has been to face the second best welterweight fighter in the world.

The UFC welterweight champion, St. Pierre, has gone to the judges’ scorecards in five of his past six outings, including his latest victory over Jake Shields at UFC 129 in Toronto.

Other UFC champions, such as Junior Dos Santos and Anderson Silva, have not struggled in terms of “sealing the deal” against there opponents. So one is left to wonder what is the reason behind GSP’s recent decision streak?

Some fans have accused George of becoming a point fighter, ever since his stunning loss to Matt Serra at UFC 69 in April of 2007.

In an interview with the Toronto Sun, George explained his theory on why most of his recent bouts have gone to the judges’ scorecards:

“I can make up a bunch of excuses but the truth is I’m fighting the best guys all the time and it’s tough competition. You cannot always win by beautiful fashion. The guy that is in front of me is a very good guy. He’s the number one contender all the time and now I’m fighting the (interim) world champ in Carlos Condit. I’m working a lot more on being more opportunistic and it’s going to pay off I’m sure… I think that my opponents have become better in time. Sometimes, when you break a guy mentally, he doesn’t fight to win anymore, he fights to not lose and to survive. That minimizes the opportunity for him to be finished. And that’s what’s happening in a lot of my fights and it’s hard to finish a guy who doesn’t fight to win.

George returns from a 19-month injury layoff to headline UFC 154, where he faces interim titleholder Carlos Condit (28-5 MMA, 5-1 UFC). UFC 154 goes down November 17 from the Bell Centre in Montreal, Quebec, Canada. The event airs live on PPV.
Sorry, just had to laugh as it has to be everyone else's fault for why he cannot finish a fight....couldn't possibly be him.
Old 09-13-2012, 05:50 PM

What a load of poo!

I think the long gap between fights has made him delusional.

Rejoice ever more. 1 Thessalonians 5:16
Old 09-13-2012, 05:59 PM

GSP Still The Greatest Welterweight in town!!
Old 09-13-2012, 07:39 PM
Angry @ Injustice!

Dear, Oh Dear

perhaps we'll get lucky and Carlos Condit might win
Old 09-13-2012, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevint13 View Post
"I think that my opponents have become better in time. Sometimes, when you break a guy mentally, he doesn’t fight to win anymore, he fights to not lose and to survive. That minimizes the opportunity for him to be finished. And that’s what’s happening in a lot of my fights and it’s hard to finish a guy who doesn’t fight to win."

Sorry, just had to laugh as it has to be everyone else's fault for why he cannot finish a fight....couldn't possibly be him.
Isn't that what critics have been saying about him regarding his last several fights? Is he really saying he broke all these guys mentally?

Last edited by Bonnie; 09-13-2012 at 08:58 PM.
Old 09-13-2012, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JavierDLC View Post
GSP Still The Greatest Welterweight in town!!
exactly .... haters gonna hate ... after one round its a foregone conclusion gsp is gonna dominate ... it becomes positional for guys and they wanna just survive ... if gsp was squeaking by on split decisions and leaving doubt with the judges, that is one thing, but since the loss to serra, he has been a freight train pounding on people ... gsp is the worst possible match up for condit ... condit will be on his back from the start .....
Old 09-13-2012, 09:00 PM
Angry @ Injustice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonnie View Post
Isn't that what critics have been saying about him regarding his last several fights? Is he really saying he broke all these guys mentally?

Well he certainly DIDNT break them physically

Old 09-13-2012, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rearnakedchoke View Post
exactly .... haters gonna hate ... after one round its a foregone conclusion gsp is gonna dominate ... it becomes positional for guys and they wanna just survive ... if gsp was squeaking by on split decisions and leaving doubt with the judges, that is one thing, but since the loss to serra, he has been a freight train pounding on people ... gsp is the worst possible match up for condit ... condit will be on his back from the start .....
Why is truth called hate? Isn't it fair to say he has established a pattern now of not finishing his fights? He's the one coming out with this "questionable" reason of why he hasn't been able to finish his last several opponents. We're just expressing our skepticism about his reasoning.
Old 09-13-2012, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyburn View Post

Well he certainly DIDNT break them physically

Well, maybe BJ. I'm just not sure what came first, the mental or physical. And to all the BJ lovers, I mean no offense with what I'm saying. He looked physically done when his corner called the stoppage, but we know mental will can overcome the physical...
Old 09-13-2012, 09:26 PM
MMA, VCU, & Doctor Who

Send a message via AIM to VCURamFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonnie View Post
Well, maybe BJ. I'm just not sure what came first, the mental or physical. And to Mellissa, please don't murder me for saying this. He looked physically done when his corner called the stoppage. But we know mental will can overcome the physical...
Fixed.