Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > MMA Related > UFC

Old 09-05-2012, 06:01 PM
Waiting for June 6th

Default UFC Flyweight Ian McCall Released From Jail

From MMAFighting.com:

Quote:
Aug 30, 2012 - UFC flyweight Ian McCall has completed his jail stay after 16 days, and is back among the free after being released from the Central Mens Jail in Santa Ana, Calif.

MMA Fighting confirmed his release through California public records.

The 28-year-old was initially arrested on August 14 for driving on a suspended license.

At the time of his arrest, Capt. Jason Kravetz of the Laguna Beach Police Department told MMA Fighting that McCall was expected to be held for 30 days.

As a result of his case, McCall will face one year of probation and face a $300 fine, according to California Superior Court records.

In his most recent fight, McCall (11-3-1) lost a unanimous decision to Demetrious Johnson at UFC on FX 3 in June.

McCall has since announced his release on Twitter, writing, "Free at last, free at last ... Time to get back to work."

(Correction: A previous version of this story incorrectly stated that McCall had faced three arrests in 2012 for various driving-related violations. Two of the incidents, on Jan. 20 and April 4, were actually citations, according to Superior Court records.)
Old 09-05-2012, 09:54 PM
Waiting for June 6th

Ian McCall Says He Was Arrested Because 'They Thought I Was a Drug Dealer'

From MMAFighting.com:

Quote:
Sep 5, 2012 - Last month, Ian McCall was arrested and charged with one count of driving on a suspended license. McCall, who has had his run-ins with the law in the past, ended up only serving 17 days of a 30-day jail sentence. But the most startling revelation came when he discovered he'd apparently been driving on a suspended license for two years, and throughout a lengthy legal process, no one had ever told him.

In fact, now that he's been released, McCall believes the license issue, which stemmed from an old charge a few years ago and seemingly fell through the legal cracks, didn't have anything to do with the motivations behind his arrest.

"They thought I was a drug dealer," McCall revealed on Wednesday's edition of The MMA Hour. "Don't know why. Well, actually, I know why. Someone that doesn't like me told them I was a drug dealer. An actual drug dealer that doesn't like me got busted -- I've seen the paperwork -- and said ‘oh, he's a drug dealer too.' And they came over to my house and they didn't find any drugs, they didn't find any text messages, they didn't find anything bad. So they're like ‘okay, you're not a drug dealer, but your probation officer said to come get you anyways because you have a suspended license.'"

For McCall, it was precisely the last thing he needed after emerging intact after tumultuous and sordid past. Word of his arrest spread quickly throughout the MMA community, and to make matters worse, initial reports tied the suspended license charge with "possession of narcotic paraphernalia and possession of prescription meds without a valid prescription," a pair of old charges stemming from 2008 that remained on his record because of an unfinished community service requirement with CalTrans.

Ultimately, it all led to a s