Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > General Discussions > The Woodshed

Old 03-10-2009, 07:09 PM
County Mike

You sure he wasn't hiding in someone else's igloo?
Old 03-10-2009, 07:17 PM
bradwright

Quote:
Originally Posted by County Mike
You sure he wasn't hiding in someone else's igloo?
you might be on to something there,,
but i may have to wait until tomorrow to do the igloo to igloo search though,
my dog sled team is a little tired right now,
Old 03-10-2009, 07:25 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonlion
10 Downing Street! I can hand deliver it, next week when my girlfriend and her friend come over from america as i'll be taking them past there!

I mean to clear it up from my end, its not a huge thing here, we are not irrepairably hurt or insulted, its just a slap in the face really.

For us, Britain has taken a lot of flak from the rest of the world for having you as our allies. I wouldn't change that for the world because i want you as our alllies and it is only lefites and jealous europeans that chastise us for beign allies but considering how we have shown mutaul solidarity and per ratio, Britain is only behind USA for troops stationed in Iraq and Afghanistan then you would expect a more thoughtful gift.

I mean, We went all out for our one, and 25 DVD's well, as Nate says, its not the expense its the lack of thought. It does seem rushed.

I am not a huge fan of Gordon Brown but i feel for him at times and this further undermines his posistion, on a domestic front he desperatly needs America to take to him as much as they did to Blair.
In the grand scheme of things, this "DVD-gate" is not a huge deal. However, it doesn't bode well for the future of the Obama Administration's foreign policy. Seriously, if they are this clueless when it comes to dealing with our greatest ally, then how in the world do they expect to be able to handle all of these countries that hate us without making things much worse?
Old 03-10-2009, 09:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NateR
In the grand scheme of things, this "DVD-gate" is not a huge deal. However, it doesn't bode well for the future of the Obama Administration's foreign policy. Seriously, if they are this clueless when it comes to dealing with our greatest ally, then how in the world do they expect to be able to handle all of these countries that hate us without making things much worse?

Agreed, things between us can easily be smoothed over and forgotten but there are much more senstive diplomatic meetings that will take place and Obama needs to do a better job.

I guess this does highlight where experiance comes into play in such matters.
Old 03-10-2009, 10:48 PM
I'm kind of a big deal

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradwright
you know what?
Most Americans couldn't find Canada on a map let a lone tell you who the PM is,,(and yes Neezar if the shoe fits)so i am very impressed,

now as far as the gift Obama will bestow upon Harper if he ever actually gets an invitation to meet with him?

well lets just say he would have a hard time getting under the one that was given to him when he visited us here a couple of weeks ago,

you see when Obama was on his way out of town he stopped off at a market to buy some cookies,
and when he tried to purchase the cookies with a Canadian 20 dollar bill the shop owner said,
oh no Mr. President, i can not accept that,we just dont take that funny money here,sorry,
do you have any American money on you though?
although these were very prestigious cookies(shaped like a maple leaf as i recall)Obama just stood there with a look of disbelief,after a few awkward moments went by the shop owner realized the President wasn't ever going to part with any of his American money so he finally said,never mind,the cookies are on me,just make sure you give them to your daughters,

so you see,it will be very hard to top that,(or bottom that,how ever you want to look at it)
but good luck just the same.
Well the American Press doesn't cover anything regarding Canada so most Americans just don't know about your PM. The only PM we all know is Trudeau.

As for Obama's gift to Harper, it will be that box of cookies and the Canadian $20 bill.
Old 03-10-2009, 10:51 PM
bradwright

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockdawg21
Well the American Press doesn't cover anything regarding Canada so most Americans just don't know about your PM. The only PM we all know is Trudeau.

As for Obama's gift to Harper, it will be that box of cookies and the Canadian $20 bill.
tell him he can keep that funny money,,
but i'm sure Harper would love to get those cookies back!
Old 03-10-2009, 10:59 PM
I'm kind of a big deal

Quote:
tell him he can keep that funny money,,
but i'm sure Harper would love to get those cookies back!
So, a thoughtful gift would be a U.S. $20 bill? If so, I'll e-mail it to Obama so this time, his gift will be thoughtful.
Old 03-10-2009, 11:03 PM
bradwright

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockdawg21
So, a thoughtful gift would be a U.S. $20 bill? If so, I'll e-mail it to Obama so this time, his gift will be thoughtful.
20 bucks?thats it?
man,,Obama really is cheap,(or is it you)
Old 03-10-2009, 11:07 PM
I'm kind of a big deal

Quote:
20 bucks?thats it?
man,,Obama really is cheap,(or is it you)
Call it cheap all you want. I call it appropriate due to the economic circumstances.
Old 03-12-2009, 01:41 AM
Angry @ Injustice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NateR
Can someone say "cheapskate?"

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/worl...Wizard-Oz.html

In summary, the British Prime Minister visited the US and, aside from getting snubbed by the media, he presented President Obama with an ornamental pen holder made from the timbers of the Victorian anti-slave ship HMS Gannet. A very unique and well thought out gift and what did Obama give to the Prime Minister in return? 25 DVDs including the following titles:

Hmmm, seems a little cheap and thoughtless to me. Overall, a pretty crappy way to treat our greatest ally in the world. If Obama is this inept in dealing with our allies, then how's he supposed to make friends out of our enemies?

Glenn Beck described it pretty well, this is a portion of a transcript from his show:

For the full transcript: http://www.glennbeck.com/content/art...cle/198/22474/

Another article about this story from the UK:
http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/standa...lms/article.do

Gordon the Goffer

I hope Obama made sure they were able to play in the UK...what would have happened if Mr and Mrs Brown sat down for an American western to find it wouldnt play on the European machine

There is a certain amount of distancing going on from both sides Nathan that might be deliberate. Gordon Brown keeps ping-ponging to the public...he wants to show he's not Tony Blair and not just an American Ambassidor...but he also wants to try and hold onto the magic of Obama to make himself look kewl as well, hopefully then he gets the votes at the next ellection.

Obama is doing similar. He's made it clear that there is a greater understanding between the two countries because America has slipt towards the Centrist...but he doesnt want to be George Bush...he doesnt want jam and scones with a cream tea on the White House Lawn whilst his dear Brit friend chirps away.

He wants to please everyone that means he has to loose a little of the friendship and show a little more respect. Moving from a personal relationship of two world leaders who are gone, to a more mature business like dealing. Does that make sense?