Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > MMA Related > UFC

Old 08-31-2012, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buc Nasty View Post
It doesn't matter if Jones lost, his stock would have gone up with the fans, fellow fighters and the UFC top brass by taking the fight. To be honest if he lost they'd love him more for stepping up and then demand he be given a rematch - and rightfully so. To say he'd gain nothing from stepping up is simply not true. He would've been the hero win or lose.
Dude, bein' a hero don't pay the rent! Jones's deal with Nike is one of the most significant endorsement deals in the history of the UFC. They want to endorse The Champ--and for him to risk that to fight someone who was a completely different fighter than who he'd been training for on 8 days notice??

I'm not saying that's why he didn't take the fight, but let's face it, even if you fight because you love the sport, none of these guys would be doing it if they weren't making money. And you have a very limited number of years to make money in this business. He's trying to develop the best career for himself that he can. I don't fault the guy.
Old 08-31-2012, 04:41 PM
I'm kind of a big deal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buc Nasty View Post
It doesn't matter if Jones lost, his stock would have gone up with the fans, fellow fighters and the UFC top brass by taking the fight. To be honest if he lost they'd love him more for stepping up and then demand he be given a rematch - and rightfully so. To say he'd gain nothing from stepping up is simply not true. He would've been the hero win or lose.
+1
Old 08-31-2012, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wavetar View Post
Well to be fair, both Machida AND Shogun turned down the Sept 23rd fight, which is why we have Vitor. I don't think they would have been 'easier' fights than Chael.

And as far as 'goodwill' Bonnie, yeah, I was mainly referring to the gazillion dollars he brought to the UFC by being their poster boy & main PPV draw. Dana'a the worst 'what have you done for me today' douche there is.
I get what you're saying, but to be fair, they are in the business to make money and I'm sure Jon Jones is making a nice chunk of change for his UFC fights since becoming champion, not to mention other things he's gained like his Nike deal. Whatever $$$$ he made them previously, in that moment when he said, "No" to Dana, all that was forgotten and he became the public scapegoat for that cancelled card.
Old 08-31-2012, 08:05 PM
Angry @ Injustice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by VCURamFan View Post
Well, guess we won't be seeing Pat in the UFC HoF for a while longer now, huh?
I cant believe that He 1) thinks its fine for a reigning Champion to turn down a fight, I'm quite honnestly shocked at that bit. Sure his reasoning to do with the administration is correct...but how about personal integrity for Jones...and backing Jackson sucks eggs to be honnest...His fighters are doing active damage to the sport as a whole, to not recognise the problems of that one is to be blinded by the gypsy I'm afraid. Fraternities can be funny things sometimes

2) he's making his statement through BJ Penns website I dont know why that eeeks me...but it does

I have much admiration for the man, but I do feel he's wrong about this issue except for the fact the company should share the blame. I think the whole reason we have this debate is because a massive number of people DO NOT feel as he expressed, and that, in a world, where you are dominated by the need to make money which plays to public opinion, Mr Miletich might have missed the point in Chael Sonnen.... Organizational Sucide...over a McShouty who has created his own worth in gold for speaking smack...No, No...this is win-win for the organisation...if Jones were to fail...they can market Chael just as well...thats what I think some people are missing in all this..."Biggest star" is completely relative...Golden Boys are raised, and then dispatched, and another put in their place. This is NOT the same game it was ten years ago...least of all because all that hard work in gaining fans has led to one thing...mob rule...its not going to be about athleticism alone, as it might have been...its now equally about who can quell the crowds.