Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > MMA Related > UFC

Old 08-30-2012, 05:38 PM

I FULLY agree with Pat and think that Bones was right to turn the fight down as well. As to the quote where he says he'll never turn down a fight, well, yeah...that makes him look bad, lol.

As for "saving" the fight and garnering good with with Zuffa and Dana White, uhhhhh....I guess the bazillion dollars he's made for them isn't enough???
Old 08-30-2012, 05:58 PM
I♥The♔COUNT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Primadawn View Post
I FULLY agree with Pat and think that Bones was right to turn the fight down as well. As to the quote where he says he'll never turn down a fight, well, yeah...that makes him look bad, lol.

As for "saving" the fight and garnering good with with Zuffa and Dana White, uhhhhh....I guess the bazillion dollars he's made for them isn't enough???
The major thing I am not too pleased with is that Dana/Lorenzo threw him under the bus. It's already bad enough some of us fans myself included are talking so much trash.
I think it proved yet again that Dana needs some Zoloft in his life with a side of Xanax.. that's just me though...
Old 08-30-2012, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wavetar View Post
I agree with Pat, although I do think JBJ should have taken the fight, I also figured he had earned enough "good will" in his previous 18 months to NOT get thrown under a bus by not taking the fight. Shogun & Machida won't fight on 30 days notice in Toronto. That, IMO, is worse. So we end up with another 185'er stepping in, who wasn't even in line for a shot at Silva any time soon. Yawn.
How has he earned good will in the previous 18 mos, by showing up for his fights, for winning? Showing up, that's a good thing, but that's what he's supposed to do, you don't get extra brownie points for that. And winning, he's gotten the rewards... You bank good will when you're willing to step up even though you're not obligated to do so, and especially when it's not necessarily in your best interest. People eat that stuff up! You're either a hero or a zero.
Old 08-30-2012, 06:08 PM

Quote:

As for "saving" the fight and garnering good with with Zuffa and Dana White, uhhhhh....I guess the bazillion dollars he's made for them isn't enough???:unsure-1:
Uh, no! They're too busy thinking about all the money they lost!
Old 08-30-2012, 10:03 PM

Well, the money that the UFC lost on this card was nobody's fault but their own. You're not the "hero" if you step up and take a fight on 8 days notice under tremendous pressure --and then end up by some fluke losing your belt to a guy that didn't deserve the fight to begin with. Jones stood to lose a lot if he took the fight--and still lost his paycheck by not fighting.

Everybody can judge all they want, but I'll tell you this--I think you'd be hard pressed to find many (or any) among us that would voluntarily do something for our employer to help them out of a bad situation that THEY created themselves at great personal risk to ourselves.
Old 08-30-2012, 10:08 PM
I♥The♔COUNT

Quote:
Well, the money that the UFC lost on this card was nobody's fault but their own. You're not the "hero" if you step up and take a fight on 8 days notice under tremendous pressure --and then end up by some fluke losing your belt to a guy that didn't deserve the fight to begin with. Jones stood to lose a lot if he took the fight--and still lost his paycheck by not fighting.

Everybody can judge all they want, but I'll tell you this--I think you'd be hard pressed to find many (or any) among us that would voluntarily do something for our employer to help them out of a bad situation that THEY created themselves at great personal risk to ourselves.

Exactly. Ok I sound like a big ol' hypocrite. However I admire the fact Mike stepped in to fight Sonnen w/less than 10 days prep.
However look what that did to him gave him a big L on his record (I felt he won so W to me ;). He would have ate Maia alive that night instead he stepped in (which I am proud) but the UFC still won't give him a title shot. He's in limbo.

Look at Tito when he stepped in after his win over Bader to fight Rashad with not much time.. A huge L..
Old 08-31-2012, 06:03 AM

My "hero/zero" was a comment about the fickleness of people. If he had said, "Yes", he would have been a hero for saving the card; and if he had lost, people would have been ready with, "He only had eight days to prepare..." They would have been sympathetic and behind a rematch which Dana probably would have promptly announced at the post-fight.

Last edited by Bonnie; 08-31-2012 at 06:10 AM.
Old 08-31-2012, 06:30 AM

I can't Stand this Bull Shi@ about Jones had to risk losing and had nothing to win by fighting Sonnen!?!?!

F' that he's a fighter that's what fighting is about you always risk losing! For te most part there's two outcomes you either win or you lose! Or If you're Frankie Edgar you get robbed.. But that's another story. If he's the best he should fight the best and win. Just like contenders if they fight and lose then they werent ment to be champions.

So just to get this straight he opted not to fight Chael who is I believe at the moment the #1 PPV draw... The person who gave the #1 fighter the beating of his lifetime and the person who would give him the best PPV money

And for what?

To take a fight with a has been. Who not so long ago was going to fight Wanderlei... Wanderlei!! And Who in all possibility will get injured and pull out of the fight..

So I guess at the end of the day

He got what he Wanted an easier fight...

I would really enjoy this backfiring in his face and Vitor putting him to sleep

But

I'm pretty Sure Jones will destroy him in the first round.
Old 08-31-2012, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JavierDLC View Post
He got what he Wanted an easier fight...
Well to be fair, both Machida AND Shogun turned down the Sept 23rd fight, which is why we have Vitor. I don't think they would have been 'easier' fights than Chael.

And as far as 'goodwill' Bonnie, yeah, I was mainly referring to the gazillion dollars he brought to the UFC by being their poster boy & main PPV draw. Dana'a the worst 'what have you done for me today' douche there is.
Old 08-31-2012, 11:30 AM

It doesn't matter if Jones lost, his stock would have gone up with the fans, fellow fighters and the UFC top brass by taking the fight. To be honest if he lost they'd love him more for stepping up and then demand he be given a rematch - and rightfully so. To say he'd gain nothing from stepping up is simply not true. He would've been the hero win or lose.