Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > MMA Related > UFC

Old 08-24-2012, 01:17 AM

Good post, Ben, and I liked what Joe Lauzon said about it too.

It's a hard costly lesson especially for all the other fighters on the card and all the fans who bought tickets, etc...

I think Jones may regret this in the long run.
Old 08-24-2012, 01:19 AM
Student of the Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by VCURamFan View Post
Chuck Mindenhall wishes he was cool as me.

I had read his blog earlier and then read your post and there were certain phrases in each that were too similar....I had to get ya
Old 08-24-2012, 01:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VCURamFan View Post
I agreed with your entire post until the bolded bit. Yeah, it's a crappy situation & the UFC put themselves in a bind, but there was still an option. It was a bad option, a ridiculous option, a laughable option, an emergency option, but an option nonetheless. Jon chose to turn down that option.
i hear exactly what you are saying bro .. but people are making jones out to be the bad guy ... everyone is saying that as the champ he needs to take the fight, he should do what his boss says etc ...... i know if my boss made a mistake and asked me to do something which could hinder my career or effect me making money i use to feed my family, i wouldn't do it .. and there has got to be something in the contracts that say if a fighter drops out, each fighter has the option of saying they will take the fight or not ...
Old 08-24-2012, 01:54 AM
MMA, VCU, & Doctor Who

Send a message via AIM to VCURamFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by rearnakedchoke View Post
i hear exactly what you are saying bro .. but people are making jones out to be the bad guy ... everyone is saying that as the champ he needs to take the fight, he should do what his boss says etc ...... i know if my boss made a mistake and asked me to do something which could hinder my career or effect me making money i use to feed my family, i wouldn't do it .. and there has got to be something in the contracts that say if a fighter drops out, each fighter has the option of saying they will take the fight or not ...
I don't think anyone's disputing whether what he did was legally permissible. We're speaking ethically. He has a responsibility, as the champ, to represent the company & the division in the greatest possible light. Walking away from a willing opponent (who's a class down in both weight & God-given talent) & causing the collapse of an entire fight card does not represent the company or the division in a positive light whatsoever.
Old 08-24-2012, 01:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rearnakedchoke View Post
because pissing off your boss and causing the company you are employed by, and especially your coworkers who do not make anywhere near what you do, great distress and monetary loss is the best career move you could ever make, right? it's very simple; this was a highly selfish decision, and one very big mistake.

jones lacks discernment. he is truly living up to the moniker "youngest world champion in UFC history". disgraceful.
Old 08-24-2012, 02:07 AM

relevant interview with dana

(dana surprise: language warning)

Last edited by huan; 08-24-2012 at 02:28 AM.
Old 08-24-2012, 02:09 AM
Student of the Sport

Good article about this whole situation.....insight from Greg Jackson, Chuck Liddell, and Bisping.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/mma--jo...ans--boss.html
Old 08-24-2012, 02:13 AM
Stump Rules!

This isn't a team sport you know. Who cares about "everybody else". I think Dana needs to put into the contracts BEFORE hand that if a fighter pulls out that they have to fight whoever they put in front of him. I mean, gezz, have you guys ever trained for a real fight before? Are you not training to fight that particular fighter? To have a last minute change in their game plan and not have a choice in if you want to take it or not is bullshyte! A deals a deal. If they want to be able to switch fighters at the last minute then that needs to be agreed on BEFORE.
Dana is just being a damned crybaby and it looks like he's taking his ball and going home. Oh PALEEZE!

http://stumpdotcom.com/
Old 08-24-2012, 02:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattHughesRocks View Post
This isn't a team sport you know. Who cares about "everybody else". I think Dana needs to put into the contracts BEFORE hand that if a fighter pulls out that they have to fight whoever they put in front of him. I mean, gezz, have you guys ever trained for a real fight before? Are you not training to fight that particular fighter? To have a last minute change in their game plan and not have a choice in if you want to take it or not is bullshyte! A deals a deal. If they want to be able to switch fighters at the last minute then that needs to be agreed on BEFORE.
Dana is just being a damned crybaby and it looks like he's taking his ball and going home. Oh PALEEZE!
how many days notice did Matt take the Thiago fight on and save an entire card? give me a break. Dana is not being a crybaby. Unfortunately for Dana (and the UFC and the fans), he now has a lower caliber champion whom he can't even count on to make common sense decisions that help his employer be successful. Dana is mad, other fighters are mad, fans are mad, and rightfully so. like I said earlier, Jones is an insult to the real warriors out there. real warriors have learned long ago to improvise, adapt, and overcome. their lives depend on it.
Old 08-24-2012, 02:27 AM
Stump Rules!

Right, and he got his ass kicked. There's no honor in that. Your being dumb. This isn't about who's your friend, I love you man, blah blah blah. It's about signing a contract to fight a fighter. If one of them can't fight the other one shouldn't have to pay for it. Like I said, this isn't a team sport now is it?
And for Dana to scratch the entire card? Of please, he should just put on a free show with the rest of the fighters. He ain't broke.

Quote:
Originally Posted by huan View Post
how many days notice did Matt take the Thiago fight on and save an entire card? give me a break. Dana is not being a crybaby. Unfortunately for Dana (and the UFC and the fans), he now has a lower caliber champion whom he can't even count on to make common sense decisions that help his employer be successful. Dana is mad, other fighters are mad, fans are mad, and rightfully so. like I said earlier, Jones is an insult to the real warriors out there. real warriors have learned long ago to improvise, adapt, and overcome. their lives depend on it.

http://stumpdotcom.com/