Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > MMA Related > UFC

Old 08-23-2012, 06:03 PM
Student of the Sport

Default UFC 151 cancelled

Dana just announced the event cancelled. Hendo has a partial tear in his MCL.

Chael was offered the fight and had accepted the fight, but Jones didn't accept the fight. First time that they have ever cancelled and event and as Dana put it, "Tito never refused a fight".

Jones will fight Machida on Sept. 22.

Last edited by kevint13; 08-23-2012 at 06:11 PM.
Old 08-23-2012, 06:12 PM
Student of the Sport

Dana is blaming Greg Jackson for this as he told Jones not to take the fight with Chael.
Old 08-23-2012, 06:18 PM

good for jones and jackson refusing the chael fight ... title shots should be earned, not gifted because someone is a good talker .. but now at least we get to hear chael talk about how jones ducked him .. LOL
Old 08-23-2012, 06:31 PM
Student of the Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by rearnakedchoke View Post
good for jones and jackson refusing the chael fight ... title shots should be earned, not gifted because someone is a good talker .. but now at least we get to hear chael talk about how jones ducked him .. LOL
He cost them the entire card!!! What about all the undercard fighters that NEEDED to fight, that needed the money?

Good for Chael for stepping up.
Old 08-23-2012, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevint13 View Post
He cost them the entire card!!! What about all the undercard fighters that NEEDED to fight, that needed the money?

sorry man, but you can't be worried about everyone .. they will get to fight .. dana is just mad that he is losing all tihs money ... sure, good for chael, he now can say jbj ducked him, but really, what did he have to lose? he is almost .500 in the ufc, coming off a loss and was training with hendo for this fight .. he has absolutely nothing to lose ... good for jones and the jackson camp in ensuring some integrity stays in the sport of mma
Old 08-23-2012, 06:37 PM

can't stand Jones, honestly. he reminds me of an entitled young brat. Like Tito, Matt never said no to a fight, which includes during his long championship run.

Jones went on to tweet '"And therefore those skilled in war bring the enemy to the field of battle and are not brought there by him" - Sun Tzu', which I find laughable. Personally, I find such a statement demeaning to real warriors: our troops, who fight for their lives and our freedoms everyday. Sorry, but Jon Jones is not a real "warrior." Alluding to himself as one is proof enough of that.
Old 08-23-2012, 06:38 PM
Allons-y

Send a message via AIM to VCURamFan

Well you got to it quicker than I did. Here's the "official" word:

UFC 151 Canceled After Dan Henderson Injury

Quote:
Aug 23, 2012 - An injury to Dan Henderson has forced an unprecedented cancellation of a major UFC event.

UFC president Dana White announced on Thursday that because Henderson, who was set to challenge
Jon Jones for the UFC light heavyweight championship at UFC 151 on Sept. 1 in Las Vegas, suffered a partially torn MCL, the event would be canceled.

Jones will instead fight former champion
Lyoto Machida on Sept. 22 in Toronto.

During the teleconference, White said that
Chael Sonnen was offered the bout with Jones and accepted, but Jones refused to take the bout, forcing the cancellation.

The UFC president clearly placed the blame on the fight cancellation on the champion.

"Chael Sonnen accepted the fight with Jon Jones last night," White said. "At 8 or 9 last night the one thing I never thought would happen in a million years happen. Jon Jones said, I won't fight Chael Sonnen on eight days notice. That has never happened either."

White said that the company has not yet figured out what will happen to the remainder of the fights scheduled for the card. Fans who purchased tickets for the event will be able to get refunds at the point of purchase.

EDIT: Wow, never would have expected my 12,000th post to be "announcing" the historic cancellation of a Zuffa card...

Last edited by VCURamFan; 08-23-2012 at 06:49 PM.
Old 08-23-2012, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevint13 View Post

I agree with you. How can anyone defend Jones for not taking this fight? Its completely crazy!!

REARNAKEDCHOKE "Title fights are earned" whatever not in this sport.

People get injured all the time and other fighters always take fights on short notice... not to mention Chael is almost the same fighter as Henderson minus the Knockout power which is what supposedly made Hendo a threat.

So according to Chael's haters why not take the easier fight in chael?

WAR SONNEN!!!
Old 08-23-2012, 06:46 PM

i think jones woulda destroyed chael, still doesn't mean take the fight ... its about keeping the integrity of the sport ... if chael was coming off a win, maybe ... but he isn't ... shogun didn't have to give jones the title shot on a months notice, but he did .. but imo, jones won a fight to earn that shot ... depends on how you see it i guess .. i think jones did what is best for the sport .. even if it is not best for him ..
Old 08-23-2012, 06:56 PM

You want to talk about integrity how about a man that sits as champion and then refuses a fight. That only shows me that he and his camp are only afraid of losing and to be honest with you. I feel that Cartlidge Jones caught a huge break and I am sure he was afraid of Dan and the style that he brings. And he saw that same threat in Chael.
Champions fight thats what they do it's in their make up. Look at Matt, Chuck and Randy all they want is a fight. They all still want that fight why because they are competitive it drives them. As it should Jones lacks that drive and I place all that on his camp and the way that they have brought him up. Lyoto isnt as of big of a threat as Chael is.