Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > MMA Related > UFC

Old 08-05-2012, 01:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flo View Post
Mike Swick vs. DaMarques Johnson

Round 1:
Herb Dean is the referee for this bout. They come out and touch gloves. Swick tags Johnson with a big overhand and Johnson does a nice job tying up and shaking it off. Johnson with a quick flurry. Swick grabs Johnson and goes for a knee but loses his balance and ends up on the ground. Johnson ends up in Swick's guard. Johnson lands a few rights on the ground. They're standing. Swick opens up. Both guys throwing haymakers. Swick goes for another knee. Swick body locks Johnson and scores a trip. Johnson, though, ends up on top of Swick. Swick tries to push out of it but can't. Swick in a bad spot with 90 seconds left as Johnson nearly gets his back. Johnson almost like he doesn't know what to do. Round finishes with Johnson in Swick's guard.

Round 2:
Slow start to the first minute. And just like that it's over. Swick caught a Johnson kick, pushed him to the mat, nailed him with a huge right hand, then two more before Dean stepped in. Johnson is out cold.

Mike Swick def. DaMarques Johnson via KO at 1:20 of R2.

After hearing what Mike Swick has gone thru to get back here, happy for him. You could tell DaMarques was feeling pretty confident after that first round starting the 2nd.

Last edited by Bonnie; 08-05-2012 at 01:24 AM.
Old 08-05-2012, 01:12 AM

What a fight between Varner and Lauzon! Loved it!
Old 08-05-2012, 01:22 AM

I guess we'll have to wait for the main fight to see if that was "impressive" enough for a title shot.

Loving the last two fights!
Old 08-05-2012, 01:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonnie View Post
I felt bad for both these guys.
Me too Bon. I think Prager was sorry he didn't insist on continuing.

Joe Lauzon vs. Jamie Varner

Round 1:
Luis Cobian is the referee for this one. Varner throwing two-punch combos early. Varner connects with body shots. Varner sticking and moving. He rocks Lauzon with a big left but Lauzon recovers. Lauzon tags Varner. Now Lauzon opens up with a combo and a big knee which rocks Varner backwards but not down. Two minutes in. Varner with a jumping knee. Lauzon with a jab and a combo. Varner with a kick to the body. Two minutes left, still either guy's round. Varner combo has Lauzon covering up. Lauzon comes right back at Varner with a combo, the two clinch and Varner escapes and scoots out to center. Varner drops Lauzon and goes into Lauzon's guard. Varner with knees to the body as the round ends.

Round 2:
Varner more active early in the round. Varner throws a standing elbow and a two-punch counter. Varner goes for a knee, Lauzon covers up. Varner tries to throw Lauzon but doesn't get it. Lauzon shoots for a takedown, Varner brings him to the ground for a choke, Lauzon reverses position and gets Varner's back, stays on his back as Varner stands, and Varner finally breaks it. Back out at center with two minutes left. Varner connecting with punches to the head and body but Lauzon fires back, drops Varner, and starts landing punches. Lauzon lands several punches and elbows, looks like he'll finish it, but Varner back to his feet. They're on the ground again, Lauzon has Varner's back and is trying to get a choke. 30 seconds left in a tremendous round. Gigantic ovation as the round ends.

Round 3:
Both fighters play to the crowd as the round starts and the crowd obliges with a big ovation. The two embrace. Timeout as Varner has a mouthpiece malfunction. Varner sprawls a Lauzon takedown attempt. Varner with a takedown. He's in Lauzon's half-guard. Lauzon reverses position and they're both back on their feet. Varner connects with a combo. Varner lands a right and shakes the throwing hand afterwards. Varner with a two-punch combo and a takedown, Lauzon tries to turn it into a choke, then positions into a triangle. He's adding in elbows. Lauzon cinches it in tighter and Varner taps to end just a barnburner of a fight.

Joe Lauzon def. Jamie Varner via submission (triangle choke) at 2:44 of round three.

Rejoice ever more. 1 Thessalonians 5:16
Old 08-05-2012, 01:44 AM

Lyoto Machida vs. Ryan Bader

Round 1:
The legendary "Big" John McCarthy is your referee for this one. W00t! Machida is playing his game early, staying out of range and throwing an occasional kick. Bader connects on a combo to the body. "Machida" chant rips through the crowd. Machida pops Bader with a kick to the body. Machida catches Bader with a knee as Bader was coming in. Bader throws a wild combo and misses. More front kicks by Machida. Big right hand by Machida. Machida again catches Bader with a knee coming in. Round one was pretty much Lyoto Machida doing his thing.

Round 2:
Another big "Machida" chant from the crowd. Bader feigns a high kick. Machida seems to be in Bader's head, Bader is flinching every I'm Bader feints. And that's it. Bader runs right into a hell of a knockout punch. A perfectly timed right to the jaw. Machida lands one more punch on the ground, realizes the fight is over, and stops before McCarthy gets in to wave it off.

Lyoto Machida def. Ryan Bader via knockout at 1:32 of round two.

Old 08-05-2012, 01:58 AM

What the heck, Rua looks exhausted already and it's not even the 3rd round.

Last edited by Bonnie; 08-05-2012 at 02:09 AM.
Old 08-05-2012, 02:02 AM

Quote:
What the heck, Rua looks exhausted already.
Yeah, what's up with that? I guess you never know which Rua will show up...

Old 08-05-2012, 02:05 AM

Shogun Rua vs. Brandon Vera

Round 1:
Herb Dean is the third man in for this one. Vera throws a quick pair of body kicks. Rua throws a kick. Vera goes for a knee, but Rua catches him and takes him down. He's in Vera's half-guard. Vera doing a good job tying up "Shogun." Rua tries to work into side control. Both guys back to their feet. Rua throws a high kick. They clinch, "Shogun" tries for a slam but walks into a guillotine choke. Rua trying to stay patient, but his head is turning a deep red. Rua escapes and ends up in Vera's guard. Rua throws a right. Rua unleashes several left hands. Vera ties up "Shogun." They're still on the ground in the final minute. Rua transitions to Vera's back. Rua landing punches, Vera with an elbow from the bottom.

Round 2:
A slugfest early, with Vera getting the worst of the onslaught. Vera just looks outclassed. As soon as I type that, Vera rifles a big counter elbow. Vera now starting to score with his striking. Vera catches Rua coming in with a right. But "Shogun" responds and he's landing knees. Vera covers up. Rua grabs a headlock. Vera down on one knee with Rua on his back. Vera gets back up. Vera goes for a high kick. Crazy round and we're only midway through. Rua cut around his right temple. Crowd is electric as they exchange haymakers and then clinch. A big "Vera" chant in the crowd. Vera with a takedown. Vera in half-guard as the two posture for position in the final minute. Vera with knees to "Shogun's" side.

Round 3:
Huge "Vera" chant from the crowd to start the round. Vera catches Rua with a running knee and we've got a Greco stalemate along the fence. Rua's clearly tired. Rua tries a single leg, doesn't get it, Vera goes for a knee and Rua pushes him off. Rua with a combo, Vera responds in kind. Rua grabs a headlock and connects with a knee to the head as Vera's on the way down. Can't do anything with it, though, as Vera ties him up. Rua stands and connects with a big left. Vera shakes it off, gets back to his feet, and comes out swinging. Rua checks a Vera high kick. Vera starting to connect with Muay Thai strikes, Rua manages to take Vera down. Vera does a good job tying up Rua, but Rua finally lands a couple rights. Round ends on the ground.

Round 4:
Four-punch combo, a low kick, and a knee by Vera. Positional scrum along the fence, as they clinch. Rua lands a couple knees. Two minutes in and we're still mainly in a clinch battle. Rua throws a knee and returns to center. Vera with a two-inch combo, a low kick, and a knee. Vera throws and elbow, Rua responds and it ends up with Rua body locking Vera along the fence. Two minutes left. Back to center with 90 seconds left. Rua throws a couple punches and Rua counters. Rua connects, lands an uppercut, a flurry of punches, and that's it, Dean waves the fight off.

Mauricio Rua def. Brandon Vera via TKO at 4:09 of round four.

I heard wave cheering from here! I like both these fighters, I was surprised Shogun was so gassed but he definitely had the killer instinct and finished Brandon with some bombs. In fairness, I thought Brandon was going to lose in the first round under the onslaught of punches and knees thrown by Shogun and he held on. But he never seemed to take advantage of his opportunities to finish Rua when he had them. I think he couldn't see out of his left eye either. From the interview I'm listening to right now, sounds like Dana will give him another fight.

Last edited by flo; 08-05-2012 at 02:20 AM.
Old 08-05-2012, 02:17 AM

Well, two very different fights. Brandon surprised me, he hung in there and I thought he had some good shots and kicks. Rua surprised me too in how quickly he tired, by the 2nd round. He didn't look very impressive there even though he won the fight.

What do y'all think, who should get the title shot with Jones, Machida or Rua?
Old 08-05-2012, 02:21 AM

Quote:
Well, two very different fights. Brandon surprised me, he hung in there and I thought he had some good shots and kicks. Rua surprised me too in how quickly he tired, by the 2nd round. He didn't look very impressive there even though he won the fight.

What do y'all think, who should get the title shot with Jones, Machida or Rua?
My 2 cents is Machida, Bon. I thought he looked GREAT, ditto Swick. Who do you think should get JBJ?