Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > MMA Related > UFC

Old 07-27-2012, 11:19 PM
Student of the Sport

Default The future of Nick Diaz

http://graciefighter.com/

Quote:
It’s been a trying time these last 4 months as I have been faced with the prospect that one of our team’s most talented fighters had decided to leave the sport. As a fan I’ve always admired what both of the Diaz’s brought to the cage; a combination of technical brilliance and raw violence.

Nate Diaz has finally put his game together and found the formula to propel him to the top of the 155lbs division. To see Nick leave at the top of his game was difficult.

For the last couple of months I’ve watched Nick begin to frequent the gym more and more. He’s training harder now than he has for many of his fights. It was obvious that training and fighting is in his DNA. It is who he is.
This week we had a great talk and he made it clear to me that he is ready to get back to the cage. Nick Diaz will return.

To address the NSAC suspension, I will say that we have appealed to the courts and if things go our way, it will be plausible that Nick could return as early as sometime at the end of this year.
For too long NSAC bureaucrats have acted with malicious incompetence towards the fighters. We will challenge them in court.

As far as future opponents, Nick has stated that he would like to take fights “that matter”. Since GSP will be fighting Condit, he has to look elsewhere. He will respectfully ask for a fight with Anderson Silva, a fighter he respects and would like to challenge.

Silva’s camp has been speaking of a fight with GSP, possibly even at a catch weight. Nick will take that fight in a minute but has told me that should Silva decide not to drop at all, he will move up to 185lbs to face the Champ.

I will be meeting with Dana next Monday August 6th to discuss this and other issues. If you appreciate Nick’s fighting style, please let Dana know that you want Nick back ASAP.

Thank you and best regards,
Cesar Gracie
Old 07-28-2012, 06:45 AM
WAR CARDINALS!

I am a fan of Nick. I thought he won the Condit fight, and have defended him in the pot controversy (both times), but he is on another level of stoned I have never experienced if he thinks that the UFC is handing him a fight with Anderson Silva.
Old 07-28-2012, 03:11 PM
7X Prediction Champ !!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.B. View Post
I am a fan of Nick. I thought he won the Condit fight, and have defended him in the pot controversy (both times), but he is on another level of stoned I have never experienced if he thinks that the UFC is handing him a fight with Anderson Silva.
I doubt they will either but 185 is not as stacked as Dana makes it sound. It would be a interesting fight. But like you I think many more deserve the shot more.
Old 07-28-2012, 05:05 PM

No way in hell he would get this fight and specially not coming off a Loss.

I would love to see this fight though!
I see it going like the Forrest Griffin fight.
Old 07-28-2012, 06:19 PM

I'd love to see him fight Anderson.
Old 07-28-2012, 06:49 PM

He should have to fight a couple top guys at 185 before he thinks he can have a title shot. Not a fan of Bisping but isn't he next in line (if he wins) for Anderson? Maybe Diaz should try to challenge Bisping first, he definately won't turn down the fight if the UFC allows it.

Last edited by Liddellfan; 07-28-2012 at 08:27 PM.
Old 07-28-2012, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liddellfan View Post
He should have to fight a couple top guys at 185 before he thinks he can have a title shot. Not a fan of Bisping but isn't he next in line (if he wins) for Anderson? Maybe Diaz should try to challenge Bisping first, he definately won't turn down the fight if the UFC allows it.
That would be an Awesome Fight!! I think Michael would beat him just like Carlos did.
Old 07-28-2012, 09:16 PM
Student of the Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by JavierDLC View Post
That would be an Awesome Fight!! I think Michael would beat him just like Carlos did.
I don't know...I think Diaz could talk enough to get him into a brawl. Not saying Nick would win that!

I agree that Nick in no way deserves an immediate shot, but I would love to see the fight. I don't think he can beat Anderson and I think Anderson would either KO him or the fight would get stopped by a cut (I know he had surgery to reduce that).

I am starting to feel bad for Jake Shields. I know that he is nowhere near the top of either the WW or MW division, but he just made the jump back to MW. It has to be rough when your training partner and friend now wants to go back up too. Can't wait for Gilbert to come over and see what Nate does!
Old 07-28-2012, 09:37 PM

http://www.mmaweekly.com/nick-diaz-w...lva-in-the-ufc

Nick Diaz is not done with fighting after all.

A tumultuous year that saw Diaz lose an interim UFC welterweight title fight followed by a year long suspension from the sport after a positive drug test for marijuana made the Stockton, Calif., native opt for retirement instead of continuing on with the fight game.

A few months later, however, according to his manager and trainer Cesar Gracie, Diaz is back in the gym, working hard and will return to fighting when his suspension is up.

“For the last couple of months I’ve watched Nick begin to frequent the gym more and more. He’s training harder now than he has for many of his fights. It was obvious that training and fighting is in his DNA. It is who he is,” Gracie wrote Friday on his website GracieFighter.com.

“This week we had a great talk and he made it clear to me that he is ready to get back to the cage. Nick Diaz will return.”

Gracie says that they are continuing to deal with the court system to hopefully overturn Diaz’s year long suspension, which would see him out until at least February 2013, and if they can get the result they long for, Diaz would love to return later this year.

“To address the NSAC suspension, I will say that we have appealed to the courts and if things go our way, it will be plausible that Nick could return as early as sometime at the end of this year,” said Gracie.

“For too long NSAC bureaucrats have acted with malicious incompetence towards the fighters. We will challenge them in court.”

Regardless of that pending action, Diaz is already looking ahead at potential opponents and says he only wants fights that “matter.”

Diaz’s dream fight would still be against UFC welterweight champion Georges St-Pierre, but he’s tied up in November with a title fight against Carlos Condit, the man that defeated Diaz back in February.

With that fight out of the realm of possibility, Diaz has turned his attention to the biggest fight he could think of, both literally and figuratively.

“As far as future opponents, Nick has stated that he would like to take fights ‘that matter.’ Since GSP will be fighting Condit, he has to look elsewhere. He will respectfully ask for a fight with Anderson Silva, a fighter he respects and would like to challenge,” Gracie wrote.

“Silva’s camp has been speaking of a fight with GSP, possibly even at a catch weight. Nick will take that fight in a minute, but has told me that should Silva decide not to drop at all, he will move up to 185 pounds to face the champ.”

Diaz has dabbled at higher weights before picking up wins over both Frank Shamrock and Scott Smith while competing in Strikeforce.

Silva’s managers have both been vocal at their desire for the UFC’s reigning middleweight champion to face only top competition or step into a “super fight” situation against somebody like St-Pierre.

According to Silva’s representatives, the Brazilian legend has little desire to face names like Chris Weidman or Tim Boetsch.

So is Nick Diaz a name that would entice Anderson Silva?

Gracie plans on meeting with UFC president Dana White next week to discuss the possibility.

“I will be meeting with Dana next Monday August 6th to discuss this and other issues,” said Gracie. “If you appreciate Nick’s fighting style, please let Dana know that you want Nick back ASAP.”

Personally when I think how easily Daley hit him and wobbled him, Andy wrecks him, and no way in hell Dana is risking another big fight with him so soon after so many let downs.