Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > General Discussions > The Woodshed

Old 07-03-2012, 01:19 PM
MMA, VCU, & Doctor Who

Send a message via AIM to VCURamFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by VCURamFan View Post
OK, so I just finished this book yesterday, & I think it's a very worthwhile read. It's a very look at modern American politics & how relatively easy it would be to tip us into a second civil war. It reads a bit like a Tom Clancy novel (though no one can come close to touching Clancy's mastery of war games), but the afterward, read by Orson Scott Card himseld, is a fantastic caution for us all to bear in mind in an election year. I highly recomend it to every.
Old 07-03-2012, 08:31 PM
Networker

Quote:
... but the afterward, read by Orson Scott Card himseld, ...
Thanks for the recommendation. Wait, do you do all your books as audio? Is that how you seem to read so fast?
Old 07-11-2012, 04:09 PM
MMA, VCU, & Doctor Who

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conrad View Post
Thanks for the recommendation. Wait, do you do all your books as audio? Is that how you seem to read so fast?
Yeah. I don't have time to sit still & read them as I would like, but my job has long stretches of fairly mindless work (stuffing checks into envelopes, checking off a list of invoices, etc.), so listening to these books keeps me from going insane from the monotony.

After I finished Empire, I went to another Orson Scott Card book:

By the time I had finished that, the 2nd & 3rd books from the Hunger Games had come available, so I picked those up from the library. I finished Catching Fire yesterday:

This morning I started Mockingjay:

It funny, because I just came across this on FailBlog.org & it may me bust out laughing :
Old 07-16-2012, 02:43 PM
MMA, VCU, & Doctor Who

I finished Mockingjay (& therefore the whole Hunger Games series) on Thursday. I'll confess, I was simultaneously impressed & disappointed with it. The series as a whole took on some interesting issues, but I felt that it didn't investigate them as fully as it could. As an adult, I was able to see with she (the author) was trying to get at & could consider the merits of her points, but I feel as though the younger readers at whom this series is aimed would just be left feeling somewhat hollow afterwards. It had a "happy" ending on the surface, but had a fairly nihlistic outlook on life.

I moved on to the conclusion of a much more mature & thought-provoking series:

This is the sequel to Orson Scott Card's novel about a modern American civil war. Set 3 years after the events of the first book, this one starts with the rise of a brand new plague from Africa & addresses the issue of how such a crisis could/should/must/might be handled. Once again, Card raises a lot of question about just how much one should value liberty vs. safety, democracy vs. efficacy, etc. I really highly recommend both books to all y'all.

I finished that up Saturday night & have now moved back to a genre that was one of my earliest obsessions:

Darth Plagueis was Darth Sidious' (Emperor Palpatine's) master. This book chronicles from the point Plagueis kills his master & becomes supreme Sith Lord to when (as must evenutally happen with all Sith master/apprentice relationships) he is betrayed by his own apprentice, Darth Sidious, & killed. I'm a little more than a thrid of the way into the book & it's a really fascinating look into the Sith (Sithark Side of the Force::Jedi:Light Side of the Force) & their history/motivations/plans/etc. I'm really enjoying it.
Old 07-16-2012, 04:03 PM
WAR CARDINALS!

I finished reading Chael Sonnen's book yesterday.

If the cover alone doesn't make you want to read it, I'm not sure what will.

It was 220 pages of...well...Chael Sonnen. Honestly, I loved it, and I read it in two days. To be fair, it's only 220 pages, and it's comprised of very short chapters about a wide range of topics. Even though the chapters are short, that is part of Chael's persona and, dare I say, his brilliance. He doesn't need more than few paragraphs to completely flip your brain backwards (or forwards depending on your condition) and make you read what he just said again. So, in essence, his book is probably more like 440 pages.

I don't think I should post a full "review" of this book in here, because it has the potential to derail the book thread into an MMA discussion. I would hate to derail a thread...

EDIT: Just to note, if you buy this book, and you are familiar with Chael, you will not be able to read it without the voice in your brain narrating it just like Uncle ChaCha!
Old 07-16-2012, 04:33 PM
MMA, VCU, & Doctor Who

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.B. View Post
I finished reading Chael Sonnen's book yesterday.

If the cover alone doesn't make you want to read it, I'm not sure what will.

It was 220 pages of...well...Chael Sonnen. Honestly, I loved it, and I read it in two days. To be fair, it's only 220 pages, and it's comprised of very short chapters about a wide range of topics. Even though the chapters are short, that is part of Chael's persona and, dare I say, his brilliance. He doesn't need more than few paragraphs to completely flip your brain backwards (or forwards depending on your condition) and make you read what he just said again. So, in essence, his book is probably more like 440 pages.

I don't think I should post a full "review" of this book in here, because it has the potential to derail the book thread into an MMA discussion. I would hate to derail a thread...

EDIT: Just to note, if you buy this book, and you are familiar with Chael, you will not be able to read it without the voice in your brain narrating it just like Uncle ChaCha!
He's promised to read the audiobook version himself!
Old 07-16-2012, 05:24 PM
WAR CARDINALS!

Quote:
He's promised to read the audiobook version himself!

I never saw that he said that, but I would definitely buy it. I actually asked Barnes and Noble if they had it audiobook before buying the actual book and made a sad face when they said, "no, who is Shael Chonnan?"
Old 07-16-2012, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.B. View Post

I never saw that he said that, but I would definitely buy it. I actually asked Barnes and Noble if they had it audiobook before buying the actual book and made a sad face when they said, "no, who is Shael Chonnan?"

You should have looked shocked, and said, "Chael Sonnen. You know, the man who's going to be our next President!"
Old 07-16-2012, 08:13 PM
WAR CARDINALS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonnie View Post

You should have looked shocked, and said, "Chael Sonnen. You know, the man who's going to be our next President!"
He talks about his political career being ended after the real estate fiasco.
Old 07-16-2012, 08:23 PM
WAR CARDINALS!

Check out Anderson Silva's review of Chael's book on Amazon http://www.amazon.com/review/R16UFE4...wasThisHelpful

Quote:
Customer Review

296 of 346 people found the following review helpful
5.0 out of 5 stars Shael, Plese Kept Riting Books, May 16, 2012
By
Anderson Silva
Amazon Verified Purchase(What's this?)
This review is from: The Voice of Reason: A V.I.P. Pass to Enlightenment (Hardcover)
5 Starrs fore this book. Shael shuld knot fighte anymor. Shael shuld keepe beeing awthor. Grate book that my friends Nog, Seagal, and Soares luved. Seagal read it to us befour he tuck us in. That booke dosen't half enof pectures though. Shael keep righting and no fighteing. Leaf Spyder Silva a loan. Let he kept his belte pleeze.
As you can see, Anderson clearly asked Chael to loan him money back in May...or maybe not. You be the judge....