Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > MMA Related > UFC

Old 07-12-2012, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonnie View Post
Wait a minute, what about Brock fighting Randy, he beat a smaller older man who was at the end of his career. And Randy was several years older at the time he fought Brock than Silva is now. I do acknowledge the differences with that fight and a fight between Silva/Jones--weight classes and the fact that Silva and Jones are both current champions. But, honestly, if you hadn't known better, wouldn't you have thought Randy and Brock were from two different weight classes.

It would be a risk for both of them, even at a catch weight because one of them will still be able to say I beat -----, it would still be considered a "notch" for the winner's reputation. The risk might be more for Jones because of where he's at in his career, but likewise, the reward would be greater for him because this is Anderson Silva.
But Bonie isn't that what all fights are? You Risk losing and the other guy gets credit for beating you? Or you win and get credit for being better than the other guy? It doesn't matter how old or young you are thats part of the game as long as you are competing.

And Thats why I dont understand or what I think fans dont understand...
Old 07-12-2012, 06:30 PM
WAR CARDINALS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JavierDLC View Post
But Bonie isn't that what all fights are? You Risk losing and the other guy gets credit for beating you? Or you win and get credit for being better than the other guy? It doesn't matter how old or young you are thats part of the game as long as you are competing.

If that were true, Floyd would get as much credit for beating Mosley in 2010 as he would have gotten in 2001. We both know it don't work like that.
Old 07-12-2012, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.B. View Post
If that were true, Floyd would get as much credit for beating Mosley in 2010 as he would have gotten in 2001. We both know it don't work like that.
I don't mean he would get more or less credit. You and me both know Boxing isn't about who is the best and the best fighting the best.Boxing is about who will make you the most money if you beat them.

MMA is not at that level quiet yet.

If they are both the best fighters and the only ? mark in there careers is gonna be if they ever fought who would have won? (example Mayweather v Pacman) Why shouldnt they fight? And you cant say Silva isn't the same fighter he was 3 years ago cause he seems the same or better.
Old 07-12-2012, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.B. View Post
I don't remember the masses of MMA fans calling for Brock vs Randy anymore than I remember them calling for Randy vs James Toney.
But Randy was the champion so Brock was going to have to fight him at some point, right? If Randy had been Brock's size, I think Brock would have ended up like Toney! Other than what Randy and Toney were getting out of fighting each other, I see no significance of that fight to mma, whereas, there was a title and belt on the line with Brock/Randy.

Quote:

Javi, I know it might not seem like it, but I'm agreeing with you. I was reminding Neezy that Brock beat Randy for the championship and Randy was older and smaller. It didn't seem to hurt Brock so why should it hurt Jones if he were to beat Silva.

Last edited by Bonnie; 07-12-2012 at 07:00 PM.
Old 07-12-2012, 06:58 PM
Student of the Sport

Quote:

I agree, but one is at a disadvantage because of the weight. Do I think Anderson has the skills to beat Jones? Yes. But based on the difference in size I expect Jones to win. Same with Silva/GSP. I think GSP has the skills and could possibly beat Anderson, but I would expect Anderson to win the fight.

So in some ways, Jones has more to lose as he is expected to win. I would be willing to bet that if this fight happens Jones is the favorite.
Old 07-12-2012, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevint13 View Post
I agree, but one is at a disadvantage because of the weight. Do I think Anderson has the skills to beat Jones? Yes. But based on the difference in size I expect Jones to win. Same with Silva/GSP. I think GSP has the skills and could possibly beat Anderson, but I would expect Anderson to win the fight.

So in some ways, Jones has more to lose as he is expected to win. I would be willing to bet that if this fight happens Jones is the favorite.
Some of the smaller HWs have been at a size disadvantage (height and weight) with their bigger opponent and yet we've seen the smaller man KO the giant. Jones' youth and size can't be negated as pluses in his favor, but Silva's experience and knowledge are big pluses too. Like they say, you never know what will happen in a fight.
Old 07-12-2012, 07:19 PM
WAR CARDINALS!

Quote:
I don't mean he would get more or less credit. You and me both know Boxing isn't about who is the best and the best fighting the best.Boxing is about who will make you the most money if you beat them.

MMA is not at that level quiet yet.

If they are both the best fighters and the only ? mark in there careers is gonna be if they ever fought who would have won? (example Mayweather v Pacman) Why shouldnt they fight? And you cant say Silva isn't the same fighter he was 3 years ago cause he seems the same or better.
MMA is definitely on that level, and it's because of boxing and pro-wrestling. UFC guys may not be making Mayweather money right now, but the business is still quite similar.

I am not saying they "shouldn't" fight. As a fan, I'd love to see it happen this Saturday. I'm saying it's probably not in either fighters best interest right now. Mayweather/Pacquiao is a good comparison in terms of a "superfight" for MMA, but that's also been 5 years in the making, and just like Silva I don't take anything away from Floyd if that fight doesn't happen (we also know there are a lot more factors in those negotiations than would be with Jones/Silva)
Old 07-12-2012, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevint13 View Post

I understand but do you think... for example

If Overeem becomes Champion then the only people that should fight him are those that weigh 260+lbs? Cause it wouldn't be fair for him to fight Junior who is only 238lbs thats a 22lb diference!! Which is the difference between middleweight an Light-heavyweight....

Anderson is 6' 2"
Jones is 6' 4"
reach 77.6"
reach 84.5"

He fought Hendo who is

5' 11"
reach 71"

which equals to a 6.6" difference in reach and a 3" height advantage.

Hendo is fighting Jones next who has an almost 5" height advantage and a 13.5" reach advantage!!
Old 07-12-2012, 07:27 PM
WAR CARDINALS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonnie View Post
But Randy was the champion so Brock was going to have to fight him at some point, right? If Randy had been Brock's size, I think Brock would have ended up like Toney! Other than what Randy and Toney were getting out of fighting each other, I see no significance of that fight to mma, whereas, there was a title and belt on the line with Brock/Randy.
The belt was like a thin piece of Swiss cheese at the time...

Heck, the HW division is still trying to recover from the Lesnar era.

Silva, GSP, and Jones have significant title reigns over top competition in their division.
Old 07-12-2012, 07:41 PM
Student of the Sport

Quote:
I understand but do you think... for example

If Overeem becomes Champion then the only people that should fight him are those that weigh 260+lbs? Cause it wouldn't be fair for him to fight Junior who is only 238lbs thats a 22lb diference!! Which is the difference between middleweight an Light-heavyweight....
I don't want to argue that one because I can't win

Quote:
Anderson is 6' 2"
Jones is 6' 4"
reach 77.6"
reach 84.5"

He fought Hendo who is

5' 11"
reach 71"

which equals to a 6.6" difference in reach and a 3" height advantage.

Hendo is fighting Jones next who has an almost 5" height advantage and a 13.5" reach advantage!!
Hendo on the night of the fight will still be around 205 pounds, Jones will be at least 225.

That's why I say it is really up to the lighter weight fighter to want to challenge himself at a higher weight class. Anderson has beaten 2 fighters at 205, but let's be honest neither are in the same league as Jones. I think Anderson is fine with being the king at 185, so if someone wants to fight him they either come up to 185 or down (rumor is Rashad is thinking about it, but not like that is a 'super fight').