Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > MMA Related > UFC

Old 07-09-2012, 08:36 PM
I♥The♔COUNT

Default Team Sonnen to appeal loss at 148

Although middleweight contender Chael Sonnen seemed to accept his loss to Anderson Silva at UFC 148, Bleacher Report has learned that Sonnen's team is less forgiving of Silva's potentially illegal tactics. They believe a knee strike to a seated Sonnen, which hit the challenger in the chest, also connected solidly with Sonnen's face, making it an illegal strike.

"Chael's not the kind of guy who likes to complain after a fight," Sonnen's head trainer Scott McQuarry said. "I felt I needed to take this action to protect him. At the point of impact, Anderson had his hand locked in the cage and his feet left the ground. We believe his intentions were clear.
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1...rom-dana-white

"We started the process of filing a complaint with the Nevada Athletic Commission. We believe the knee that Anderson Silva threw was illegal with the clear intent to strike the face. And it did in fact connect with the face. Chael bit his tongue and needed eight stitches."

McQuarry believes the potentially illegal knee changed the remainder of the fight, creating the opening for Silva to finish the bout with punches. After contacting Nevada Athletic Commission Keith Kizer to see how to proceed, he was informed that filing a complaint would almost certainly not result in the fight being declared a no contest.

Instead, McQuarry is taking his case to the fans and to UFC President Dana White.

"What I'm going to do is change my tactic," McQuarry said. "We're going to ask for a rematch. We deserve a rematch. If the only way Anderson Silva can win is by cheating, we need to keep a closer eye on Silva before and during a fight. And we need a rematch now. Legal knee or illegal knee, there's enough doubt with all the fouls to warrant a rematch."

In addition to the knee strike, Silva was also caught rubbing Vaseline on his chest. Although that was caught by referee Yves Lavigne, McQuarry says that the substance sinks into the pores, making simply wiping it off ineffective. Additionally, Silva was warned twice for grabbing Sonnen's shorts during the fight.

Scott McQuarry. Photo via Team Quest
"I think it did make a difference in the outcome," McQuarry said. "I know that Chael grabbed Silva's shorts briefly too in response, but not for 15 seconds and two punches."

While Sonnen and his team weigh their options, McQuarry hopes the people will make their voices heard.

"They need to call the UFC. We need a rematch. Chael is a great champion and deserves a fair fight."
Old 07-09-2012, 08:55 PM

I am a fan of Chael BUT his team should think before they talk. They are talking about cheating and having an advantage. How about the so called TRT and the test results Chael produced after the first fight? Some say that is cheating. Highly doubt the UFC is going to allow them to fight again, seemed Dana made the knee issue pretty clear at the post fight presser.
Old 07-09-2012, 09:55 PM
Hughes fanboy

I agree - he was still grounded when the knee hit him - and it did contact his head. Rematch this - THIS year.

Please consider England in your prayers!

http://www.intercessuk.org/iuk3/
Old 07-09-2012, 11:08 PM
Stump Rules!

He doesn't like to complain so "his people" will Suck it up asshole!

http://stumpdotcom.com/
Old 07-09-2012, 11:09 PM
Stump Rules!

He lost twice, he don't get a rematch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizion View Post
I agree - he was still grounded when the knee hit him - and it did contact his head. Rematch this - THIS year.

Old 07-09-2012, 11:13 PM
Stump Rules!

Hey, what happened to the filters around here?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattHughesRocks View Post
He doesn't like to complain so "his people" will Suck it up asshole!

Old 07-09-2012, 11:55 PM
WAR CARDINALS!

What a joke. He said at the press conference he didnt care and Silva won. Silva haters can cry all they want but its not gonna get overturned. Chael lost twice, end of story.
Old 07-10-2012, 12:04 AM
Student of the Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.B. View Post
What a joke. He said at the press conference he didnt care and Silva won. Silva haters can cry all they want but its not gonna get overturned. Chael lost twice, end of story.
That's because he took responsibility for losing...he knows his spinning backfist was what cost him the fight.
Old 07-10-2012, 12:27 AM

chael was more juiced up then overeem and barry bonds combined before the last fight and it barely even gets mentioned anymore... Silvas nuts accidentally brush against chaels face when hes throwing a knee to the body and his fans and trainers call for another rematch lol.... Its a joke.. chael lost end of story... He got tkoed and pretty much gave up without even taking huge shots... He doesnt deserve another shot.
Old 07-10-2012, 12:49 AM
WAR CARDINALS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevint13 View Post
That's because he took responsibility for losing...he knows his spinning backfist was what cost him the fight.
Well now he's singing a different tune by allowing this appeal to go forward. He should tell his camp to back off and go back and win a few more fights before a rematch is even considered. I still think Chael is a clear number 2 in the division, but an immediate rematch would be wrong.