Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > General Discussions > The Woodshed

Old 07-05-2012, 07:20 PM
Angry @ Injustice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by flo View Post
What Bonnie said!

We just got back from Freedom Fest at Ft. Lewis, there were LOTS of people but it was great being back on post.
what is Freedom Fest

Is it like a "Cookout" For those who dont know, Americans dont seem to use the tern BBQ...they say "cookout" instead....Jeff Crow told me that
Old 07-05-2012, 07:24 PM
Angry @ Injustice!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MmMitkvoLB8

are these Fireworks actually being launched from the Mall at all...they look more like they might be comming from Arlington Cemetry

Old 07-05-2012, 07:36 PM
Angry @ Injustice!

They are not as good as ours...They should have used the Washington Monument as the focal point, because there is plenty of unobstructed land right around there...in the same sort of way that we use the London Eye for the New Years...it gives some kind of focal point...your not just then watching ten mins of fireworks, but a light display that uses the architecture...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xy_9bx6U8_0 You have the reflection pools and different monuments that you could light up...I remember saying in one of my videos when I visited your Capitol that there are three main problems with Washington DC...first, its far to European in design and layout, Secondly, its got far to many tourists in it, and thirdly, they do not light the city like they could, and arguably should do....its too white and too dim IMHO

btw...does your country actually celebrate victory in the Civil War aswell...or not really?
Old 07-05-2012, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyburn View Post
Thats one way to look at it I suppose

how did you celebrate Bonnie
We went to the fireworks show they put on locally every year; it was really nice. Someone had their truck radio on and they were playing all these great "American" songs while the fireworks were going off.
Old 07-05-2012, 08:12 PM

Quote:
what is Freedom Fest

Is it like a "Cookout" For those who dont know, Americans dont seem to use the tern BBQ...they say "cookout" instead....Jeff Crow told me that
We do use the term BBQ here in Texas, but a cookout could refer to a BBQ, a crawfish boil, grilling burgers, hotdogs, or any number of things. I guess it just depends on what part of the country you're from as to how you refer to things.
Old 07-05-2012, 09:34 PM
Angry @ Injustice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonnie View Post
, a crawfish boil,
a what
Old 07-05-2012, 09:39 PM
Angry @ Injustice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonnie View Post
We went to the fireworks show they put on locally every year; it was really nice. Someone had their truck radio on and they were playing all these great "American" songs while the fireworks were going off.
it sounds really lovely!!

Sometimes its nice to just have a celebration, even if its short and sweet...we live in difficult times and I think its okay to have the odd moment of happiness.

We also had music going in the canteen at work, lots of country and western, and stuff like that...really...the lil lady who organises this did sooo well...it wasnt anything huge...but she had obviously put a lot of effort...I really enjoyed it!

They even had these chocolates called "Kisses" which they claimed were American...I dont know if they really were coz the original packaging had gone. They were really small little chocolate drops...alot like Lindt except maybe a third the size, individually wrapped...

I had two

Its times like this that I think back to my States Trip and sorta wished I was back there....I like Tackobell and Waffle House (they dont have EITHER in England!!!)
Old 07-06-2012, 03:55 AM

Quote:
a what

Old 07-06-2012, 04:04 AM

Quote:
it sounds really lovely!!

Sometimes its nice to just have a celebration, even if its short and sweet...we live in difficult times and I think its okay to have the odd moment of happiness.

We also had music going in the canteen at work, lots of country and western, and stuff like that...really...the lil lady who organises this did sooo well...it wasnt anything huge...but she had obviously put a lot of effort...I really enjoyed it!

They even had these chocolates called "Kisses" which they claimed were American...I dont know if they really were coz the original packaging had gone. They were really small little chocolate drops...alot like Lindt except maybe a third the size, individually wrapped...

I had two

Its times like this that I think back to my States Trip and sorta wished I was back there....I like Tackobell and Waffle House (they dont have EITHER in England!!!)
It sounds like she put a lot of "American" into it right down to the Hershey's Kisses.

Old 07-06-2012, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by County Mike View Post
We were all too busy celebrating to see the thread earlier.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IhnUgAaea4M
Haha!

This is the exact song that enters my head whenever I hear americans get patriotic!