Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > General Discussions > The Woodshed

Old 06-29-2012, 01:34 PM
MMA, VCU, & Doctor Who

Send a message via AIM to VCURamFan

Since the NBA playoffs ended & I'm not much of a baseball fan, there's been no draw for me to listen to sports radio of late, so I've gotten back to listening to books on tape (and by "tape", I of course mean "iPhone").

This was my first book. When I was a lot younger (12 at the most), I had found a semi-abridged comic book form of this & I just had really weird impressions of a tower on a hill, ghosts & an angry guy with big eye-brows. When I saw this at the library, I figured it was about time I sorted this all out:

Next, I decided to see what all the hype was about with the recent movie, but being a nerd-snob, I can't seem to allow myself to watch the movie with reading the book first. I started this yesterday after lucnh & staid up until 1am last night to finish it:

Now I've moved on the a classic. I wanted Pride & Prejudice or Sense & Sensibility, but those were both already checked out:
Old 06-29-2012, 05:57 PM

Was Hunger Games really that good, Ben? I know it's popular...

Rejoice ever more. 1 Thessalonians 5:16
Old 06-29-2012, 06:17 PM
MMA, VCU, & Doctor Who

Quote:
Originally Posted by flo View Post
Was Hunger Games really that good, Ben? I know it's popular...
It was engaging & enjoyable, but I guessed most of the major plot points before the protagonist/narrator (it's told in the first person) figured it out/explained it. It was much lighter fare than the other stuff I've been reading & definitely more entertainment than enrichment. I would recommend it, though, if you're looking for something fun & frivolous that still touches a bit on themes of class opression & civil unrest.

I've since finished Persuasion & have moved from my favorite romantic author (Jane Austin) to my favorite SciFi* author (Orson Scott Card):

*I don't think that Mr. Card would agree with my classification of him as a SciFi author
Old 06-29-2012, 08:56 PM

Thanks, I'll check it out. Right now I'm finishing up "No Angel" that JB recommended, it's also a good read.

Now if only I read as fast as you...seeing as I have 6 library books sitting here on the coffee table, just got a notification of one more to pick up, and I've recently received 8 or nine books from Amazon.

Old 06-30-2012, 03:41 PM
MMA, VCU, & Doctor Who

Quote:
Originally Posted by flo View Post
Thanks, I'll check it out. Right now I'm finishing up "No Angel" that JB recommended, it's also a good read.

Now if only I read as fast as you...seeing as I have 6 library books sitting here on the coffee table, just got a notification of one more to pick up, and I've recently received 8 or nine books from Amazon.
I used to be a voracious reader when I was little, but since I've gotten older & my days have filled up with all this "responsibility" horse-hockey, I've become a voracious listener: I get books on CD from the library, rip 'em to my PC, load 'em on my iPhone & then put my headphones in while I'm at work. It's fantastic, I love it!
Old 06-30-2012, 09:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VCURamFan View Post
I used to be a voracious reader when I was little, but since I've gotten older & my days have filled up with all this "responsibility" horse-hockey, I've become a voracious listener: I get books on CD from the library, rip 'em to my PC, load 'em on my iPhone & then put my headphones in while I'm at work. It's fantastic, I love it!
That's a great idea! I may have to try that.

On another note, I miss Bonnie around here. Sheesh, she had to go on vacation and make the rest of us take up the slack in her absence...

heh, heh, J/K Bonnie.

(I think she'll be back today)

Old 07-01-2012, 01:48 PM

Heaven is for Real

Old 07-01-2012, 05:21 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish Pride View Post
Heaven is for Real

Do you believe that story?
Old 07-03-2012, 04:51 AM
Networker

Quote:
Originally Posted by NateR View Post
Do you believe that story?
I'd be careful about constructing doctrines based on it. It sounded a little exceptional if accurate--more a temporary situation for a child than the permanent description. The father mentioned the "child's level eyes" potential filter twice.

I'm reading...

...because I asked what was up with the KJV-only people, academically. My friend (a pastor) and I ran out of time on our lunch, and he deferred to the other pastor's library. The other pastor was really busy, so it's nothing big when he basically said, "just read it," (paraphrased).
Old 07-03-2012, 07:59 AM
Networker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Play The Man View Post
Conrad, I try to read all of Timothy Keller's books. I'm not familiar with the one you mentioned. Is it a sermon or booklet, or is it actually a book? Do you have a link to it? Thank you.
http://www.barnesandnoble.com/s/worl...re=allproducts

sorry I missed this earlier. Was perusing previous pages to see if anything got a good/bad review on here.