Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > General Discussions > Christianity

Old 06-21-2012, 08:16 PM
Angry @ Injustice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neezar View Post
But who decides which music is appropriate in church? And does this apply to all activities in the church? What if it is just a social gathering scheduled at the church, then would it be okay? Sounds like you are implying that all words, deeds, and intentions should be focused on Christ inside the church building.
I am!!

Christ maybe everywhere, but the Church as a building is a Symbol that goes back to the Temple of Solomon. It goes back to the Holy of Holies, it goes back to the Ark of the Covernant, it goes back to making sacrifices at blood altars.

I think that there are three things to remember...First, the Church is House of GOD. It says something that a community can be arsed to build a House for GOD amoungst them, for him to dwell amoung their community. Its total symbolism, but its very powerful in its intention. That shouldnt be lost. A Church is Consecrated, its Holy Ground, its a focal point for the faith historically.

Secondly, Christians who come together to worship or pray in a church have the right to have that space reserved for them. As a Child of GOD it is also their home. People should feel safe and not be offended or violated within sancturies such as Churches.

Thirdly...Church, as a Building is an optional extra to the Christian Life...and if the Church as a community was doing evangelism properly, the building would NOT be the first place an interested heathen be made known.
Old 06-21-2012, 08:19 PM
Angry @ Injustice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NateR View Post
Not just in a church building. Every word, deed, thought and intention of a Christian should be focused on Christ every moment of their life for the rest of their life.

Of course, it's an impossible standard for us to keep, which is why we need Christ, but it's the minimum that GOD requires. GOD never lowers His standards to accommodate people and neither should we.
this is also true...but its staggeringly beyond my capability.

in the church building one is in a likeminded environment....outside of the building, the heathen complicate matters...I can truely see why the Contemplatives would go into a Monastic Foundation, and never come out!!
Old 06-21-2012, 08:22 PM
Angry @ Injustice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bella79 View Post
I agree with your Rant.. There is no reason Buddhist chants should be played in a Cathedral!!
However when it's Christian music within a Christian building I don't get what the big deal is. I guess I am just used to Gregorian chants..

This isnt quite a gregorian chant...but its very lovely.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_C0I3YgMHiI

Hope you like it
Old 06-22-2012, 04:12 AM
SupaDupaMod

Send a message via Yahoo to Neezar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyburn View Post
I am!!

Christ maybe everywhere, but the Church as a building is a Symbol that goes back to the Temple of Solomon. It goes back to the Holy of Holies, it goes back to the Ark of the Covernant, it goes back to making sacrifices at blood altars.

I think that there are three things to remember...First, the Church is House of GOD. It says something that a community can be arsed to build a House for GOD amoungst them, for him to dwell amoung their community. Its total symbolism, but its very powerful in its intention. That shouldnt be lost. A Church is Consecrated, its Holy Ground, its a focal point for the faith historically.

Secondly, Christians who come together to worship or pray in a church have the right to have that space reserved for them. As a Child of GOD it is also their home. People should feel safe and not be offended or violated within sancturies such as Churches.

Thirdly...Church, as a Building is an optional extra to the Christian Life...and if the Church as a community was doing evangelism properly, the building would NOT be the first place an interested heathen be made known.
Easy, Dave.

Nate quoted my two comments that should have clued you in that I was playing devil's advocate with a side of sarcasm. lol
Old 06-22-2012, 07:27 PM
Angry @ Injustice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neezar View Post
Easy, Dave.
Old 06-22-2012, 08:02 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyburn View Post
First, the Church is House of GOD. It says something that a community can be arsed to build a House for GOD amoungst them, for him to dwell amoung their community. Its total symbolism, but its very powerful in its intention. That shouldnt be lost. A Church is Consecrated, its Holy Ground, its a focal point for the faith historically.
I actually believe this ceased to be the case at some point between Christ's birth and Pentecost. Probably right at the moment when the veil of the Temple was torn in two while Christ was on the cross.

After Pentecost, it became clear that a temple was unnecessary, since it's the believers that are important not any sort of manmade structure. So I do not believe in calling any church the "house of GOD." The last building that GOD referred to as His house was destroyed in 70 AD and has never been rebuilt.
Old 06-22-2012, 08:16 PM
7X Prediction Champ !!!!!

Quote:
I actually believe this ceased to be the case at some point between Christ's birth and Pentecost. Probably right at the moment when the veil of the Temple was torn in two while Christ was on the cross.

After Pentecost, it became clear that a temple was unnecessary, since it's the believers that are important not any sort of manmade structure. So I do not believe in calling any church the "house of GOD." The last building that GOD referred to as His house was destroyed in 70 AD and has never been rebuilt.
EXactly. We (those born again in Christ) are the new temples and a church building is merely a gatehring place. The early church met in houses for over 350 years. Sure there were some builing but since it was illegal to be a Christian most of the time it is nto like they would go a build a house of God. Pretty soon America will be that way also. Real Christian will be forced to meet in private to escape the fake church and the government.
Old 06-22-2012, 08:33 PM
Angry @ Injustice!

Quote:

I said it was symbolic, rather then actual.

The spliting of the Curtain wasnt to do with distroying the ikon of the Temple, it had more to do with expanding the Kingdom beyond merely the Chosen Ellect of Israel.

I also refered to the building as an optional extra.

We do know the symbolism still stands, because we know from Ezekiel that there will be another Temple where GOD specifically indwells, its colloquillie turmed "The Millenial Temple" simply because one assumes its the place GOD rules from during the Millenial reign. Whilst much of that Reign may be again symbolic we know the Temple itself cant be...why? because the instructions of its dimensions are listed in the book of Ezekiel...so whatever the millenial rule may be (I would suggest Judgement within chronology, though there is no evidence to support this beyond phrases about the earth giving up its dead) we know that as a structure, it will at some point in the future exist....therefore the whol symbology is not lost.

Its good for human beings to have a physical focus, it reminds them that they can not forget what is unseen just because it is.
Old 06-23-2012, 01:55 PM
Formerly Dethbob

Quote:
People have buildings for anything they care about. I always roll my eyes about people who ‘don’t believe in organized religion.’ They believe in organized retail, organized employment and organized sports, and if they get sick they very much believe in organized medicine, but worshiping The Lord God should be half-arsed amateur hour.

Obviously such a building is ‘made for man’ and isn’t literally a house that God needs to live in, but anytime you treat something important like it’s not important, you pick your own pocket.

Last edited by PRShrek; 06-23-2012 at 02:17 PM. Reason: Curse you, spellcheck!
Old 06-24-2012, 12:09 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by PRShrek View Post
People have buildings for anything they care about. I always roll my eyes about people who Ďdonít believe in organized religion.í They believe in organized retail, organized employment and organized sports, and if they get sick they very much believe in organized medicine, but worshiping The Lord God should be half-arsed amateur hour.

Obviously such a building is Ďmade for maní and isnít literally a house that God needs to live in, but anytime you treat something important like itís not important, you pick your own pocket.
I don't have a problem with church buildings. I simply have a problem with calling a church building the "house of GOD." That's just bad theology because it elevates the building to a level of reverence that it was never intended to have and it limits GOD in the minds of the people who believe that.

I think it leads to the "Sunday morning Christians" who put on a good show while they are inside the church, but give no evidence whatsoever of a Christ-like life outside of the church building.