Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > MMA Related > UFC

Old 06-21-2012, 10:19 PM

Default Shogun preferred to be cut than fight Glover Teixeira

Hmmm, just found this article today.

http://www.espn.co.uk/ufc/sport/story/154625.html

Quote:
Mauricio Shogun Rua would rather be cut from the UFC than fight Glover Teixeira, according to president Dana White.

Shogun was left without an opponent when Thiago Silva withdrew from their scheduled UFC 149 bout. Rua has since been handed Brandon Vera as the headliner for UFC on Fox 4.

However, the UFC's first pick for replacement opponent was Teixeira, the lethal Brazilian who has only just entered the UFC. He ambushed Kyle Kingsbury on debut and is expected to trouble the light-heavyweight division's top 10.

White claims Shogun was offered Teixeira but turned him down. The former champ has denied the story, but White's latest quotes are strong in their criticism of Rua.

"He would rather be cut than fight him [Teixeira]," White said at the UFC on FX 3 post-fight press conference.

"No [I'm not OK with him saying that]. But you know what? It's one of those very weird situations to hear one of the top five guys in the world say, 'I'd rather be cut than fight a guy who isn't ranked.'

"The reason they were saying that was, 'Oh, he's not top 10.' But then we offered him Brandon Vera and he took it in two seconds - and Vera isn't top 10 either.

"The reality is, Shogun is a guy whom I respect. The guy's been through a million wars with all the best guys in the world. But for some reason, he does not want to fight this dude Glover. And you know me - if you don't want me to tell the truth, don't say stuff to me on the phone.

"That's exactly what happened. That's exactly the way it went down. And me and Lorenzo [Fertitta] said, 'Look, you can't turn down fights at this level. The money you're making and where you are ranked in the world, you don't turn down fights at this level. We might have to cut you.' He said, 'I'd rather be cut than fight him.'"
Old 06-21-2012, 11:12 PM

Wow. I'd sure like to know the real story here, it might be a mixure of both. Perhaps Shogun didn't want the fight but I think Dana might be exaggerating to say that he (Shogun) would rather leave the UFC than fight Texeira. That seems very far-fetched. What's your take on it, wavetar?

Well, one thing for sure, Dana can't seem to keep a single thought to himself (and I'm no hater, I like Dana and am grateful for what he's done with the UFC and sport in general).

Rejoice ever more. 1 Thessalonians 5:16
Old 06-21-2012, 11:15 PM

This just makes me love Matt even more since Dana is on the record as saying that Matt has NEVER turned down a fight, no matter who or the time frame.

If this story is true, I'm very disappointed in Shogun.

Old 06-22-2012, 01:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flo View Post
This just makes me love Matt even more since Dana is on the record as saying that Matt has NEVER turned down a fight, no matter who or the time frame.

If this story is true, I'm very disappointed in Shogun.
I think it Bull Sh&@ !!

Shogun didn't want to fight this nobody and Mr. Grumpy got his little feelings hurt and decided to pull this crap!

Like you Flo I like Dana and I am greatful for everything he's done for the sport...

But he is the biggest hypocrite on earth!!!

That's totall Bs! "if you don't want me to tell the truth don't say stuff to me on the phone" he only talks about what's convenient to him and his mine machine company.

Recent example is the meeting he had with Lesnar.
Old 06-22-2012, 02:04 AM

So Dana is the one who brought up the word "cut" first. Sounds like he was trying to pressure Rua with the, "We might have to cut you," and maybe Rua didn't like that so he fired back with, "I'd rather be cut..." He says how much he respects Rua, but then he makes him out like he's afraid to fight Teixeira. Not the way to inspire trust and respect especially if you want someone to do something.

Last edited by Bonnie; 06-22-2012 at 02:18 AM.
Old 06-22-2012, 06:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JavierDLC View Post
I think it Bull Sh&@ !!

Shogun didn't want to fight this nobody and Mr. Grumpy got his little feelings hurt and decided to pull this crap!

Like you Flo I like Dana and I am greatful for everything he's done for the sport...

But he is the biggest hypocrite on earth!!!

That's totall Bs! "if you don't want me to tell the truth don't say stuff to me on the phone" he only talks about what's convenient to him and his mine machine company.

Recent example is the meeting he had with Lesnar.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonnie View Post
So Dana is the one who brought up the word "cut" first. Sounds like he was trying to pressure Rua with the, "We might have to cut you," and maybe Rua didn't like that so he fired back with, "I'd rather be cut..." He says how much he respects Rua, but then he makes him out like he's afraid to fight Teixeira. Not the way to inspire trust and respect especially if you want someone to do something.
I hope you're right, Javi and Bonnie! I've always liked Shogun and he's a warrior, he'd never back down from a fight!

Old 06-22-2012, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flo View Post
I hope you're right, Javi and Bonnie! I've always liked Shogun and he's a warrior, he'd never back down from a fight!
I would like to hear from Rua what was said and not rely solely on Dana's version, and then we can decide for ourselves who and what to believe.

Maybe DW got ticked that Rua didn't want to fight Teixeira, and decided to be spiteful about it.

Last edited by Bonnie; 06-22-2012 at 09:04 AM.
Old 06-22-2012, 12:34 PM
MMA, VCU, & Doctor Who

Send a message via AIM to VCURamFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonnie View Post
I would like to hear from Rua what was said and not rely solely on Dana's version, and then we can decide for ourselves who and what to believe.

Maybe DW got ticked that Rua didn't want to fight Teixeira, and decided to be spiteful about it.
Rua & his manager have said that they're not going to be airing the dirty laundry & just want to let this story die.
Old 06-22-2012, 01:32 PM
I'm kind of a big deal

That's because Shogun doesn't want to be this guy:

Old 06-22-2012, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockdawg21 View Post
That's because Shogun doesn't want to be this guy:

LoL seriously Rock???

He's fought Little Nog, Rampage, Overeem, Liddel, Machida, Griffin, Jones I dont think he's scared of this nobody.