Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > MMA Related > UFC

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 06-21-2012, 10:19 PM
wavetar's Avatar
wavetar wavetar is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 220
Default Shogun preferred to be cut than fight Glover Teixeira

Hmmm, just found this article today.

http://www.espn.co.uk/ufc/sport/story/154625.html

Quote:
Mauricio Shogun Rua would rather be cut from the UFC than fight Glover Teixeira, according to president Dana White.

Shogun was left without an opponent when Thiago Silva withdrew from their scheduled UFC 149 bout. Rua has since been handed Brandon Vera as the headliner for UFC on Fox 4.

However, the UFC's first pick for replacement opponent was Teixeira, the lethal Brazilian who has only just entered the UFC. He ambushed Kyle Kingsbury on debut and is expected to trouble the light-heavyweight division's top 10.

White claims Shogun was offered Teixeira but turned him down. The former champ has denied the story, but White's latest quotes are strong in their criticism of Rua.

"He would rather be cut than fight him [Teixeira]," White said at the UFC on FX 3 post-fight press conference.

"No [I'm not OK with him saying that]. But you know what? It's one of those very weird situations to hear one of the top five guys in the world say, 'I'd rather be cut than fight a guy who isn't ranked.'

"The reason they were saying that was, 'Oh, he's not top 10.' But then we offered him Brandon Vera and he took it in two seconds - and Vera isn't top 10 either.

"The reality is, Shogun is a guy whom I respect. The guy's been through a million wars with all the best guys in the world. But for some reason, he does not want to fight this dude Glover. And you know me - if you don't want me to tell the truth, don't say stuff to me on the phone.

"That's exactly what happened. That's exactly the way it went down. And me and Lorenzo [Fertitta] said, 'Look, you can't turn down fights at this level. The money you're making and where you are ranked in the world, you don't turn down fights at this level. We might have to cut you.' He said, 'I'd rather be cut than fight him.'"
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 06-21-2012, 11:12 PM
flo's Avatar
flo flo is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: The Great Pacific Northwest
Posts: 7,757
Default

Wow. I'd sure like to know the real story here, it might be a mixure of both. Perhaps Shogun didn't want the fight but I think Dana might be exaggerating to say that he (Shogun) would rather leave the UFC than fight Texeira. That seems very far-fetched. What's your take on it, wavetar?

Well, one thing for sure, Dana can't seem to keep a single thought to himself (and I'm no hater, I like Dana and am grateful for what he's done with the UFC and sport in general).
__________________
http://www.matt-hughes.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=339&dateline=13068036  43

Rejoice ever more. 1 Thessalonians 5:16
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 06-21-2012, 11:15 PM
flo's Avatar
flo flo is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: The Great Pacific Northwest
Posts: 7,757
Default

This just makes me love Matt even more since Dana is on the record as saying that Matt has NEVER turned down a fight, no matter who or the time frame.

If this story is true, I'm very disappointed in Shogun.
__________________
http://www.matt-hughes.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=339&dateline=13068036  43

Rejoice ever more. 1 Thessalonians 5:16
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 06-22-2012, 01:38 AM
JavierDLC's Avatar
JavierDLC JavierDLC is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: El Paso Texas
Posts: 2,306
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by flo View Post
This just makes me love Matt even more since Dana is on the record as saying that Matt has NEVER turned down a fight, no matter who or the time frame.

If this story is true, I'm very disappointed in Shogun.
I think it Bull Sh&@ !!

Shogun didn't want to fight this nobody and Mr. Grumpy got his little feelings hurt and decided to pull this crap!

Like you Flo I like Dana and I am greatful for everything he's done for the sport...

But he is the biggest hypocrite on earth!!!

That's totall Bs! "if you don't want me to tell the truth don't say stuff to me on the phone" he only talks about what's convenient to him and his mine machine company.

Recent example is the meeting he had with Lesnar.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 06-22-2012, 02:04 AM
Bonnie Bonnie is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Where the bluebonnets bloom
Posts: 6,674
Default

So Dana is the one who brought up the word "cut" first. Sounds like he was trying to pressure Rua with the, "We might have to cut you," and maybe Rua didn't like that so he fired back with, "I'd rather be cut..." He says how much he respects Rua, but then he makes him out like he's afraid to fight Teixeira. Not the way to inspire trust and respect especially if you want someone to do something.
__________________

Last edited by Bonnie; 06-22-2012 at 02:18 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 06-22-2012, 06:26 AM
flo's Avatar
flo flo is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: The Great Pacific Northwest
Posts: 7,757
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JavierDLC View Post
I think it Bull Sh&@ !!

Shogun didn't want to fight this nobody and Mr. Grumpy got his little feelings hurt and decided to pull this crap!

Like you Flo I like Dana and I am greatful for everything he's done for the sport...

But he is the biggest hypocrite on earth!!!

That's totall Bs! "if you don't want me to tell the truth don't say stuff to me on the phone" he only talks about what's convenient to him and his mine machine company.

Recent example is the meeting he had with Lesnar.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonnie View Post
So Dana is the one who brought up the word "cut" first. Sounds like he was trying to pressure Rua with the, "We might have to cut you," and maybe Rua didn't like that so he fired back with, "I'd rather be cut..." He says how much he respects Rua, but then he makes him out like he's afraid to fight Teixeira. Not the way to inspire trust and respect especially if you want someone to do something.
I hope you're right, Javi and Bonnie! I've always liked Shogun and he's a warrior, he'd never back down from a fight!
__________________
http://www.matt-hughes.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=339&dateline=13068036  43

Rejoice ever more. 1 Thessalonians 5:16
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 06-22-2012, 08:59 AM
Bonnie Bonnie is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Where the bluebonnets bloom
Posts: 6,674
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by flo View Post
I hope you're right, Javi and Bonnie! I've always liked Shogun and he's a warrior, he'd never back down from a fight!
I would like to hear from Rua what was said and not rely solely on Dana's version, and then we can decide for ourselves who and what to believe.

Maybe DW got ticked that Rua didn't want to fight Teixeira, and decided to be spiteful about it.
__________________

Last edited by Bonnie; 06-22-2012 at 09:04 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 06-22-2012, 12:34 PM
VCURamFan's Avatar
VCURamFan VCURamFan is offline
MMA, VCU, & Doctor Who
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Basketball Capital of the World
Posts: 14,324
Send a message via AIM to VCURamFan
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonnie View Post
I would like to hear from Rua what was said and not rely solely on Dana's version, and then we can decide for ourselves who and what to believe.

Maybe DW got ticked that Rua didn't want to fight Teixeira, and decided to be spiteful about it.
Rua & his manager have said that they're not going to be airing the dirty laundry & just want to let this story die.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 06-22-2012, 01:32 PM
rockdawg21's Avatar
rockdawg21 rockdawg21 is offline
I'm kind of a big deal
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: San Antonio, TX
Posts: 5,584
Default

That's because Shogun doesn't want to be this guy:

__________________
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 06-22-2012, 04:22 PM
JavierDLC's Avatar
JavierDLC JavierDLC is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: El Paso Texas
Posts: 2,306
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockdawg21 View Post
That's because Shogun doesn't want to be this guy:

LoL seriously Rock???

He's fought Little Nog, Rampage, Overeem, Liddel, Machida, Griffin, Jones I dont think he's scared of this nobody.
__________________
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 04:51 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.