Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > General Discussions > Christianity

Old 06-16-2012, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NateR View Post
I've heard the "House of the Rising Sun" melody used for other hymns in church. I'm not sure what the thinking behind that is, since most of these hymns already have their own melodies.

My guess is that those church's music leaders are huge fans of secular music, so they are simply trying to merge that with worship. Which probably skirts dangerously close to blasphemy.

Worship isn't for our benefit or entertainment, it's for GOD and GOD alone. Anytime worship gets contaminated by our own personal interests, then it's no longer worship, it's idolatry.

Unfortunately, many modern Christians (at least modern American Christians) are incapable of distinguishing between music and worship. I think the current "music=worship/worship=music" trend in modern Churches is one the great heresies of our time.

Worship is not something you conjure up from an emotional reaction to music. The inability to distinguish between emotional feelings and true worship sets us up for major Satanic deceptions, even within the walls of a church building. Yes, true worship can inspire emotions, but emotions don't necessarily inspire true worship.
Skirts.....yes,i love seeing women in skirts.
Old 06-16-2012, 06:30 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradW View Post
Skirts.....yes,i love seeing women in skirts.
Pick up a dictionary once is a while:

skirt - verb; 3c: to evade or miss by a narrow margin

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/skirt
Old 06-16-2012, 09:30 PM

Quote:
I've heard the "House of the Rising Sun" melody used for other hymns in church. I'm not sure what the thinking behind that is, since most of these hymns already have their own melodies.

My guess is that those church's music leaders are huge fans of secular music, so they are simply trying to merge that with worship. Which probably skirts dangerously close to blasphemy.

Worship isn't for our benefit or entertainment, it's for GOD and GOD alone. Anytime worship gets contaminated by our own personal interests, then it's no longer worship, it's idolatry.

Unfortunately, many modern Christians (at least modern American Christians) are incapable of distinguishing between music and worship. I think the current "music=worship/worship=music" trend in modern Churches is one the great heresies of our time.

Worship is not something you conjure up from an emotional reaction to music. The inability to distinguish between emotional feelings and true worship sets us up for major Satanic deceptions, even within the walls of a church building. Yes, true worship can inspire emotions, but emotions don't necessarily inspire true worship.
nate, i cannot believe how close our convictions are to each other, this may be the best post this year..... all i have to say to this is amen
Old 06-16-2012, 10:44 PM
7X Prediction Champ !!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamt View Post
nate, i cannot believe how close our convictions are to each other, this may be the best post this year..... all i have to say to this is amen
Well truth always bears witness and sometimes convictions can be a good thing. As Nate said it is all about God not out entertainment.
Old 06-16-2012, 11:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pastor Chris F View Post
Well truth always bears witness and sometimes convictions can be a good thing. As Nate said it is all about God not out entertainment.
and i must also admit i have found more to agree with you on , chris, than disagree with you on lately.... and not just cause you haven't been on lately either
Old 06-16-2012, 11:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamt View Post

and i must also admit i have found more to agree with you on , chris, than disagree with you on lately.... and not just cause you haven't been on lately either
Well if you go way back we tend to agree a lot more often than not. It just that when we disagree it is a real BIG disagreement. As is the case with many forum friends. In the long run we all tend to love Christ and sometimes our denominational flavors clash. But when it comes to solid truth we all tend to stick together on those issues.
Old 06-17-2012, 12:41 AM

Quote:
Pick up a dictionary once is a while:

skirt - verb; 3c: to evade or miss by a narrow margin

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/skirt
i'll pick up a dictionary when you develop a sense of humor....how bout that.
Old 06-19-2012, 03:04 AM

Well it appears that the friend whom I am referring to has found this thread and was offended. Imagine that me offending someone. However after reading what I posted, even though no names were mentioned, I feel it is appropriate for me to apologize to him and his family. As is typical with my style of conversation my tone was hard and for that I am sorry. The fact is I cannot understand how they feel because I have never been in that particular boat. I pray they find the peace they need and I pray even more they get out of that apostate church.
Old 06-19-2012, 12:43 PM
Formerly Dethbob

Iím not going to disagree with you wanting to... calibrate?.. your tone, but I would point out that you have been much worse in the past than now, and if your friend didnít have a problem with your tone back in Bible college that may not be what heís having a problem with now. You do catch more flies with honey, but as a fisher of men you sometimes need a barbed hook.
Old 06-19-2012, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pastor Chris F View Post
Well it appears that the friend whom I am referring to has found this thread and was offended. Imagine that me offending someone. However after reading what I posted, even though no names were mentioned, I feel it is appropriate for me to apologize to him and his family. As is typical with my style of conversation my tone was hard and for that I am sorry. The fact is I cannot understand how they feel because I have never been in that particular boat. I pray they find the peace they need and I pray even more they get out of that apostate church.
Your ex-FaceBook friend follows you around the internet and reads your comments and posts on forums? Then tells you about it? That's kind of creepy and obsessive. He should get a life.

Unless you're in the Church of Beelzebub, Hell's Bells is NOT appropriate music.

Rejoice ever more. 1 Thessalonians 5:16