Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > General Discussions > Sports

Old 06-11-2012, 02:22 AM
WAR CARDINALS!

Here is the official scorecard.

I never bother trying to score a fight on Saturday nights when I'm watching around a bunch of people. There is usually too many distractions for me to give it my undivided attention. I really felt like Manny won the fight after watching last night, but when I sat down and scored it round by round today I had a slightly different impression.

I can see a few different scenarios where this fight gets called for either Pacquiao or Bradley. When comparing it to the official scorecards, mine looked like this after watching the replay....
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Pacquiao: 9 | 10 | 10 | 10 | 10 | 10 | 9 | 10 | 9 | 9 | 9 | 9 | 114
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Bradley: 10 | 9 | 9 | 9 | 9 | 9 | 10 | 9 |10|10| 10 | 10 | 114

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Round 1, I gave to Bradley, along with judge Duane Ford.

Round 2, I scored for Pacquiao. The only judge to score round 2 for Bradley was Jerry Roth, who was also the only judge who scored the fight in favor of Pacquiao.

Rounds 3 - 6, all Manny Pacquiao in my opinion. However, Round 5 was scored for Bradley by CJ Ross and Duane Ford but I scored it for Pacquiao.

Round 7, all three judges and I scored it for Bradley.

Round 8, I scored for Pacquiao along with judge Roth.

Round 9
, I ultimately scored for Bradley but it was a very close round. Only judge Ford scored it for Bradley.

Rounds 10 - 12, I scored for Bradley. Judge Ford scored round 11 for Pacquiao.

My final score: 114-114, Draw.

Overall, it was a pretty decent fight that will always be smeared with controversy, but what else is new in Boxing?

Pacquiao was never really hurt, but he did get pressed off and on throughout the fight, and at times almost bullied on the inside in a Hopkins/Holyfield head first style. Pac blasted Bradley with some great shots in every round, and while judges don't give out 10-10 rounds, I think there were some pretty close rounds throughout this fight.

I'm not saying we should all take off our tin-foil hats just yet, but I do think the fight was closer than a lot of people are making it out to be. I scored it a draw, but I would still lean towards Pac as the winner of the fight. So, if the fix was in and Arum wants to milk a rematch this fall, that's fine. Pac can KO Bradley in a rematch like he said he will, then fight Floyd in 2013. Or, maybe Arum did rig the fight and he will be outed by one of his buddies?

Last edited by J.B.; 06-11-2012 at 06:59 AM.
Old 06-11-2012, 12:29 PM

Boxing is a farce anyway. The amount of BS decision I've seen since I was a kid is scandalous.
Old 06-11-2012, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.B. View Post
"Avoid-the-Floyd"..
LOL

[
Old 06-11-2012, 03:11 PM

i think pac won the fight ... i don't think it matters though .. as we were never gonna see floyd/pac anyway ...
Old 06-11-2012, 03:21 PM
WAR CARDINALS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buc Nasty View Post
Boxing is a farce anyway. The amount of BS decision I've seen since I was a kid is scandalous.
MMA has a lot of BS decisions too. Officials make mistakes in all sports.

The problem with judging in Boxing/MMA has always been the subjectivity. Judges have to record a score after each round and they don't have the benefit of being able to go back and watch replays like us keyboard warriors. Same thing goes for the "compubox" stats. That is just two guys pushing buttons as the fight is happening in real time and it's not a perfect science.

One thing I've noticed in a lot of discussions is that while the overwhelming majority of people obviously scored the fight for Pacquiao, the rounds that people gave to Bradley were all over the board. I think that is telling of the fact that the fight was closer than some think.

Still, I do agree that all of this controversy sucks for the sport, but that's how it goes sometimes. It's not the first time it's happened, and it won't be the last.
Old 06-11-2012, 03:36 PM
WAR CARDINALS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockdawg21 View Post
Just for fun, I made this

The Paul Pierce jokes people are making about Bradley in the wheelchair are the best.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ysT8RA6JQks
Old 06-11-2012, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.B. View Post
MMA has a lot of BS decisions too. Officials make mistakes in all sports.

The problem with judging in Boxing/MMA has always been the subjectivity. Judges have to record a score after each round and they don't have the benefit of being able to go back and watch replays like us keyboard warriors. Same thing goes for the "compubox" stats. That is just two guys pushing buttons as the fight is happening in real time and it's not a perfect science.

One thing I've noticed in a lot of discussions is that while the overwhelming majority of people obviously scored the fight for Pacquiao, the rounds that people gave to Bradley were all over the board. I think that is telling of the fact that the fight was closer than some think.

Still, I do agree that all of this controversy sucks for the sport, but that's how it goes sometimes. It's not the first time it's happened, and it won't be the last.
I agree to a certain extent, but the one's that happen in Boxing are not just due to how a couple of people viewed the fight, there is blatant cheating involved. Peterson/Khan springs to mind. Deducting points for pushing? That has never happened before and will never happen again.
Old 06-11-2012, 04:30 PM
I♥The♔COUNT

I'm glad he lost.. Same thing happened when Marquez beat him, but yet he got the win? No one cared then. So now it's my turn to smile..
Old 06-11-2012, 04:43 PM
WAR CARDINALS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buc Nasty View Post
I agree to a certain extent, but the one's that happen in Boxing are not just due to how a couple of people viewed the fight, there is blatant cheating involved. Peterson/Khan springs to mind. Deducting points for pushing? That has never happened before and will never happen again.
That argument can be made in MMA too. MMA has had it's fair share of controversial decisions and general shadiness both internally and on the side of the commissions over the years.

As for Khan/Peterson, the WBA did their investigation into the scoring fiasco and ordered the rematch, which was the right thing to do. However, they just canceled the rematch because Peterson tested positive for synthetic testosterone, something the MMA world is very familiar with in recent years.
Old 06-11-2012, 04:55 PM

I'm not saying it doesn't happen in MMA but its nowhere near the same level of shadiness.

Anyway would love to chat but the England game is about to start, laters!