Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > MMA Related > UFC

Old 05-29-2012, 08:48 PM
Allons-y

Send a message via AIM to VCURamFan
Default Jon Jones Pleads Guilty to DWI Charge, Will Likely Avoid Jail Time

From MMAFighting.com:

Quote:
May 29, 2012 - In a Tuesday court hearing, Jon Jones pled guilty to a misdemeanor charge of driving while intoxicated, stemming from an incident in the early hours of May 19 in which he crashed his 2012 Bentley into a telephone pole in Binghamton, New York.

According to The Press & Sun-Bulletin, after Jones made the plea in Binghamton City Court, judge Daniel Seidin suspended his driving privileges and ordered him to undergo an alcohol abuse and dependency evaluation.

Related misdemeanor charges for an improper turn and deviating from a direct course were dismissed, according to WBNG, which noted that under a plea deal, Jones' attorney expects him to receive a fine and a conditional discharge.

According to the reports, Jones' next hearing on the matter will be on June 19. He faces up to one year in jail and a $1,000 fine.

Jones' arrest came less than one month after his last match, a UFC 145 unanimous decision victory over Rashad Evans, a victory that marked his fourth consecutive against a onetime UFC champion.

The incident has not changed the UFC's plan to have Jones defend his light-heavyweight championship against Dan Henderson on September 1 in Las Vegas.

Last week, Jones flew to Las Vegas to meet with UFC president Dana White and Zuffa CEO Lorenzo Fertitta. Over the weekend, White reasserted his support of Jones through the legal issues.

"He's a young kid. He's a young kid and he's going to need a lot of guidance," he said. "The kid is incredibly talented, he's starting to make tons of money and he's getting really famous. Those are all the recipes for disaster."

http://www.mmafighting.com/ufc/2012/...void-jail-time
Old 05-30-2012, 12:16 AM
Matt-4; GJJ Black Belts-0

Speaking as a person that lost a very good friend to a drunk driver when I was in high school.... and a huge JJ fan......

I think anyone that drives while impaired.. should face jail time.. as in do it...

Sorry... but when you do something that can easily be avoided, and can cost someone their life... no wiggle room...

That being said... I hope he gets out of this with as little as possible. If you remember, Vince Neil only served 30 days.. and a big fine... and he killed someone and seriously hurt two others...(damn.. I miss Hanoi Rocks)

If he doesn't get jail time.. (and he prolly won't).. there should be a HUGE fine.. just lucky that he didn't hurt himself or others...

EDIT

Wow.. after fact checking.. Vince only served 15 days.... damn..
Old 05-30-2012, 07:03 AM

Quote:
"He's a young kid. He's a young kid and he's going to need a lot of guidance,"
Jon Jones is 24 years-old. I happened to stumble across this article about another 24 year-old; however, I don't think I would call Donald Arthur Wilhelm a "young kid" . . . I think "man" is a better description.

http://www.buffalonews.com/incoming/article876318.ece

Quote:
He died a hero, and an enigma.

When the American pilot at the controls of a P-47 fighter plane crashed to earth near a small French village in September 1944, the villagers who pulled him from the burning wreckage of his aircraft knew just one thing.

He had given his life for them.

And so they buried him in a rural churchyard, beneath a cross and ribbon that bore the words "Our Liberator."

Across the ocean in Buffalo, Donald Arthur Wilhelm was mourned privately by those who knew him best, including his devasted parents and his only brother.

Over the next 68 years, he was largely forgotten by the rest of the world.

Now, all that is changing.

This spring, people from the little French village where Wilhelm died on the morning of Sept. 1, 1944, as a fighter-pilot of the World War II front in Europe are reaching out to Western New York.

These French citizens want to learn more about the young man whose death a few weeks shy of his 25th birthday they still consider a moment of bravery and sacrifice, nearly seven decades later.
Old 05-30-2012, 12:26 PM

yeah .. 24 year old kid .. with three kids of his own .. he ain't no kid .. LOL
Old 05-30-2012, 01:19 PM

Bonnie made that same point, "24 year-old man and father of two children".

He's not a "kid". There sure seems to be issues with celebrity, one of the big ones being surrounded by people who tell you everything you want to hear and making excuses for you. Think Michael Jackson.

Rejoice ever more. 1 Thessalonians 5:16

Last edited by flo; 05-30-2012 at 07:14 PM.
Old 05-30-2012, 05:09 PM

Dana and everybody else who wants to keep blowing this off as, "He's just a young kid..." isn't doing him any favors.