Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > General Discussions > Christianity

Old 05-14-2012, 05:21 PM
Angry @ Injustice!

Default Thoughts on Jewish Mysticism

if you thought Christian Mysticism was a bit strange...you should try looking into Jewish Mysticism

There is a document I came across recently called The book of Formation, I havent read all of it coz, I'm not sure I quite understand it, but it talks about the Jewish Language and the mystical properties within...so for example when Christians call GOD Jehovah, this script tries to explain why he chose such a name based on the letters that name is spelt in within the old text.

as I understand it this would be akin to a Mystical type of biblical concordance, attempting to further expound the relation between the natural, take for example ellements, and how they interact, but how that interaction is specifically guided spiritually.

I believe there is a second book called The Book of Splendor, again from the Jewish Mystics, but I've no idea what thats all about except that its supposed to follow on I think.

Has anyone any knowledge about the Jewish Mystic theology and whther or not its sound
Old 05-14-2012, 05:25 PM
I♥The♔COUNT

No sorry Tyburn. I am 1/2 German my Jewish or lack of Jewish info is evident.
Old 05-14-2012, 05:25 PM
Angry @ Injustice!

For example, Biblically GOD is said to have created the universe using sound, he spoke things into existance

He hath formed, weighed, and composed with these twenty-two letters every created thing, and the form of everything which shall hereafter be.

3. These twenty-two sounds or letters are formed by the voice, impressed on the air, and audibly modified in five places; in the throat, in the mouth, by the tongue, through the teeth, and by the lips. (31)

4. These twenty-two letters, which are the foundation of all things, He arranged as upon a sphere with two hundred and thirty-one gates, and the sphere may be rotated forward or backward, whether for good or for evil; from the good comes true pleasure, from evil nought but torment.

5. For He shewed the combination of these letters, each with the other; Aleph with all, and all with Aleph; Beth with all, and all with Beth. Thus in combining all together in pairs are produced the two hundred and thirty-one gates of knowledge.

Basically, the idea that the combination of letters placed in different orders and spoken in the original language create, each letter having some kind of devine power within itself. One presumes, though I havent done the maths that there are 231 possible combinations if you were to pair the letters of the alphabet together
Old 05-14-2012, 05:27 PM
Angry @ Injustice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bella79 View Post
I am 1/2 German my Jewish or lack of Jewish info is evident.
Noones perfect

Old 05-14-2012, 05:32 PM
Angry @ Injustice!

And from the non-existent (33) He made Something; and all forms of speech and everything that has been produced; from the empty void He made the material world, and from the inert earth He brought forth everything that hath life. He hewed, as it were, vast columns out of the intangible air, and by the power of His Name made every creature and everything that is; and the production of all things from the twenty-two letters is the proof that they are all but parts of one living body. (34)
Old 05-14-2012, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyburn View Post
if you thought Christian Mysticism was a bit strange...you should try looking into Jewish Mysticism

There is a document I came across recently called The book of Formation, I havent read all of it coz, I'm not sure I quite understand it, but it talks about the Jewish Language and the mystical properties within...so for example when Christians call GOD Jehovah, this script tries to explain why he chose such a name based on the letters that name is spelt in within the old text.

as I understand it this would be akin to a Mystical type of biblical concordance, attempting to further expound the relation between the natural, take for example ellements, and how they interact, but how that interaction is specifically guided spiritually.

I believe there is a second book called The Book of Splendor, again from the Jewish Mystics, but I've no idea what thats all about except that its supposed to follow on I think.

Has anyone any knowledge about the Jewish Mystic theology and whther or not its sound
don't know if it counts as a religion, but all religion is "strange" to an outsider ... i mean, people think scientologists are nuts because they believe something about a spaceship coming down from space (well, where else would it come from) .. and doing all sorts of things .. but to those who don't know anything about Christianity, they may think a guy walking on water, women being created by a man's rib encased in flesh, or a man rising from the dead after three days kinda weird ... imo, God is capable of anything .. so it all boils down to faith and not proof .....
Old 05-15-2012, 12:50 PM
Formerly Dethbob

Dave knows a lot about religion, so when he says ‘strange’ I think he means unique rather than unfamiliar.

It is intriguing how often the idea of words crops up in scripture, from the creation, Adam’s first assignment, the many warnings to control the tongue, the importance of names, the fact that Christ himself is called ‘The Word’, the tower of Babel, Pentecost, the fact that we are saved by ‘calling on his Name’, one might get the impression that the Bible is a book about words.
Old 05-15-2012, 04:25 PM
Networker

If everything in that 3-verse quote were true (just for the sake of a model) were true, then they look de-scriptive, not pre-scriptive. (Ok, so what?)

The second quote Sir Dave posted starts (just starts) leaning us more toward the "all is one" or monism. This is the foundation of ancient occult, Theosophy, New Age, and New Light "Christianity" (heresy), and the "New Spirituality" (McClaren, Warren, Sweet, others). See the "emerald tablet" * in it's various versions with this:
"As above, so below. As below, so above. As within, so without..." ...and you'll see the pattern in the occult that will make this more identifiable when you run across it. So, when the second quote starts to say that everything being made from the same 22-letter vocabulary is proof that we are actually "one", it's starts us on a line of reasoning that elevates man and reduces God. However, the idea that it is a "proof" is not necessarily true. That reads like someone taking something & making it say whatever they want, in the second quote. If everything were named by God in a 22-letter alphabet, that doesn't make everything "One." "Brotherhood" is a oneness that dispels racism. That is not the one-ness of the occult and mysticism. Open the book "The Secret" the around the title page and you'll see a version of the "as above..." quote. /shrug. It's just witchcraft.

To get to the question of soundness...
I see no reason to think the statements in the first quote are true or not. If the proof is in the fruit of it, or the pudding, then the question becomes what we do with it. Without learning more (me) about Babylonian roots to the occult, therefore skipping the similarities, I can say that a good thumbnail evaluation for the soundness of something is if it keeps man and God in proper places.

If it elevates man and/or brings God down to being less than God (not the incarnation, but all of God), or if it completely inverts the authority and puts man above God, including in the supernatural, then it is not sound. I hope that helps.

------------
* If you look up the tablet, you'll find varied texts listed as different translations. They aren't the same text being translated different ways. They are different variants of the text that then worked out to different local languages. Have fun.
2Cor10:1-6, Eph6:11-12

Last edited by Conrad; 05-15-2012 at 04:34 PM.