Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > General Discussions > The Woodshed

Old 05-09-2012, 05:52 PM
Angry @ Injustice!

Default Does Jens The Budgie Have Cancer

Today, I took unpaid leave from full time employment during the afternoon so that Jens The Budgie could be rushed to the avian vets as an emergency case when this morning I noticed whilst liberating the Aviary that he was having terrible breathing problems.

The Case for:

Jens the Budgie has absolutely no history of being unwell in the past three and a half years, yet in the last three months alone he has been ill thrice. Each time he has gotten ill the ailment has been more serious then the previous, and appears to be spreading physiologically. Jens first had problems with his voice box, his song became distorted and then seemed to take painful effort. The following month the illness migrated towards his upper chest, making him cough and sneeze and wheeze. This month the ailment is effecting his lungs, he finds it really hard to breath, he cant fly well, and his tailbob is so chronic it creates to much movement for him to ballence. In order to take the other diagnosis seriously, we must ask ourselves why Jens has chest infections, but in a close knit community is unable to spread this infection to anyone else. We must ask why when Jens and Wyman were fed the same feed, it let to hypothyroidism in Jens, but not in Wyman. Male Cobalt Blue Budgies are well known for developing genetic cancers, and for those to begin to show between the dangerous ages of 4 and 6. Isnt it logical to say that there is an underlying issue with Jens, which is a cancer that is spreading from a-b and either leaving his immune system unable to function, or outright causing the ailments. One indication of Cancer is a changing colour in the Cere, and Jens the Budgies Cere is slowly changing colour

The Case Against.

The problem with the theory of Cancer is that it doesnt explain very well how Jens has managed to respond positively to treatment. In order for the diagnosis of Cancer we must assume that the diagnosis of hyperthyroidism is incorrect. The problem with that assumption is that Jens voice returned when he was put on fortified seed to prevent hyperthyroidism. Are we too believe that fortified seed can cooincidently send cancer into remission?? Perhaps Hyperthyroidism developes over time, and had Wyman lived another year on the old seed, he too might have shown symptoms. When the diagnosis of a respiratory tract infection was made, anitbiotics were perscribed, and over a course of a week and a half the symptoms abated completed. Antibiotics can not cure cancer. Are we too believe the cancer went in to remission AGAIN at precisely the point of treatment as before. What are the statistical likelihoods of that? Jens the Budgie has always had an unusual coloured Cere, so unusual professionals have argued over whether Jens in Male at all. It is difficult to accertain if the change in colour is just a natural part of Jens over the last three years or an indication of anything.

The Verdict:

Baytrill or Bust. Jens the budgie is showing symptoms, which in light of the other past ailments could be indicative of malignant cancer. However, they could also be the symptoms of a lower respiratory disorder like pnemonia. It is pretty certain that Jens does has arthritis in his neck and possibly wings. It looks likely that Jens has hyperthyroidism whether he has cancer or not. The perscription is more antibiotics. These should help him in the event of an infection. The only way to truely tell of cancer is either a portruding lump, which Jens does not have, or an x-ray. The problem with an X-ray is that birds must be subdued with gas for them to be still enough for the procedure. The Avian Vets insist that it would be wrong to use gas on a bird with breathing difficulties for the obvious complications. There is the issue of being a bird acclimatized to indoor living, and then being put in an outdoor aviary which could account for the drop in immunity and susceptability of Jens in catching so many ailments in such a short space of time. Jens is to be isolated permanently whilst on medication for around two weeks. Spending the days in the flight, and the nights at least for the first week in the house. If Jens should die before recovery, the Avian Vets have promised to do an autopsy to establish or rule out cancer as cause of death.
Old 05-09-2012, 05:58 PM

I'm really sorry to hear what has happened with your birds, Dave. I know how much you love them.

Do you think that they may have needed to be acclimatized slowly to the new environment? Sometimes it's impossible to know the cause of their illness or death.

I'm praying that Jens will recover.

Rejoice ever more. 1 Thessalonians 5:16
Old 05-09-2012, 06:35 PM
Angry @ Injustice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by flo View Post
I'm really sorry to hear what has happened with your birds, Dave. I know how much you love them.

Do you think that they may have needed to be acclimatized slowly to the new environment? Sometimes it's impossible to know the cause of their illness or death.

I'm praying that Jens will recover.
I just dont know...there was no method of slowly acclimatizing that I could think of, and my mother wanted them out of the house pronto

I've lived and learned...Bonnie taught me I needed a light in the shed...Mike simply couldnt handle the change...and only GOD knows what happened to Wyman. I'm just doing my upmost best to keep Jens alive

I'm not kidding though...I was in tears on the walk to work today...I was worried I wouldnt be able to get an appointment for him...but work let me have some time off this afternoon, and the vets remembered me and were really accomodating. Jens is worst in the early morning and late at night...during the day he recovers, if nothing else, his composure.
Old 05-09-2012, 06:37 PM
I♥The♔COUNT