Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > MMA Related > UFC

Old 04-25-2012, 05:45 PM
MMA, VCU, & Doctor Who

Send a message via AIM to VCURamFan
Default Alistair Overeem's Absurd Defense & the Desperate Search for a Little Accountability

From MMAFighting.com:

Quote:
Apr 25, 2012 - Doctor visits must be so terrifying when youíre a famous athlete. The second you hit it big as a fighter or baseball player or track and field star, it seems thereís always some medical professional trying to shoot you up with one mysterious injection or another. Happens all the time, if you believe the version of events offered by athletes like UFC heavyweight Alistair Overeem or baseball star Barry Bonds.

Think youíre getting some harmless vitamins? No way, pal. To hear some athletes tell it, they can hardly walk down the street without being pumped full of performance-enhancing substances against their will. These poor, poor souls. All they want to do is stay clean, and this cruel world of ours just won't let them.

Isnít it funny how this never seems to happen to normal people? Most of us just donít seem to receive free pharmaceuticals with such regularity. Most of us could go our whole lives and never run into the kind of doctors who, when questioned under oath, are suddenly unable to recall whether they told us what was in the shot they were about to give us. Then again, most of us arenít looking for those sorts of doctors.

According to what Overeem and his counsel told the Nevada State Athletic Commission during a hearing on Tuesday to address his recent failed drug test, the Dutch fighter ran into this familiar brand of trouble when he received what he thought was an anti-inflammatory injection from Dr. Hector Oscar Molina. The chemical cocktail that Molina administered to treat a rib injury also contained testosterone, the good doctor told the NSAC, though he was conveniently unable to remember whether heíd mentioned that fact to the enormous man whose body he was about to inject it into.

If that seems odd to you, you arenít alone. There are a lot of oddities at work here. The NSAC also thought it strange that Overeem -- a man who knew he was subject to random testing as part of his conditional license -- wouldnít want to know more about exactly what was in that syringe. Medical professionals such as MMA Junkie columnist Dr. Johnny Benjamin also thought it was strange that Overeemís doctor would mix testosterone in with an anti-inflammatory, which is, to say the least, not a standard practice among reputable doctors.

Then again, reputable isnít the first word that leaps to mind when you look at Molinaís track record. Almost as soon as he was finished stammering his way through a series of non-committal, unconvincing answers before the NSAC, a few quick Google searches revealed that heíd previously been fined $25,000 by the Texas State Board of Medical Examiners for supplying prescriptions to strangers through online pharmacies. Heís also involved in something called the "Menís Performance Enhancement Clinic," which boasts on its website of its "anti-aging, wellness, weight loss programs and testosterone replacement therapy for men of all ages."

Thereís nothing there about his expertise treating rib injuries, but how could you go wrong with a doctor who was, according to reports, sued just last year for improperly performing a plastic surgery procedure known as the "Brazilian Butt Lift"?

Interestingly enough, Overeem doesnít seem particularly ticked off at the man whose creative syringe use cost him absurd amounts of money and did untold damage to his reputation. While most people might be looking to sue the person who snuck enough testosterone into their system to elevate their levels to more than twice the NSAC limit (which is, letís not forget, already uncommonly high), Overeem said he didnít feel betrayed by Molina since there was "no evil intent" on the doctorís part. Presumably Molina didnít have any evil intent when he allegedly screwed up that Brazilian Butt Lift either, but it didnít stop the victim of it from holding him accountable.

And letís be very clear: accountability is what weíre after. Itís also whatís completely missing so far. Overeem refuses to take any real responsibility for his testosterone levels, since it was all his doctorís fault. The doctor doesnít want the blame, so he claims he canít remember whether he and his patient had a conversation about the course of treatment they were about to begin. Overeemís lawyer tried to convince the NSAC that it wasnít a big deal anyway, because he was only using the mystery injection to treat an injury, which, by the way, he sustained while entertaining the masses. In other words, stop worrying about whatís in the manís bloodstream and just enjoy the show.

Whatís really amazing is that, despite its decision to keep Overeem out of action for at least the next nine months, the NSAC seemed partially moved by this argument. Commission members actually referred to Tuesdayís ridiculous buck-passing session as a "superlative" presentation, and they couldnít stop praising Overeem for being such an all-around good guy through it all. Yes, he tried to avoid yet another drug test, according to NSAC executive director Keith Kizer, but he had a good excuse. Matter of fact, he had several. And sure, he engaged the services of a doctor most of us wouldnít trust to treat an ingrown toenail, but at least he showed up at the hearing and didnít call any of the commissioners ugly names on Twitter afterward. Apparently that counts for a lot.

Thereís no way for us to know for sure exactly how all that extra testosterone got in Overeemís system, or whether he knew it was there. At the same time, circumstantial evidence suggests that if he didnít know, it was only because he didnít want to. If youíre a pro athlete who doesnít ask whatís in the syringe thatís about to be plunged into the body that is your meal ticket, youíre either too stupid to be trusted with your own medical decisions or too smart to ask questions you donít want to hear the answer to. And Overeem may be a lot of things, but I donít think heís stupid.

He must think we are, though. He must think MMA fans are either too dumb to realize how ludicrous his defense was or too jaded to care. I hope heís wrong about that. Or maybe Iím just afraid of what it will mean for our sport if he turns out to be right.
Old 04-25-2012, 06:09 PM
Hailey's Dad

So, do you think he should have come clean and potentially ended his career vs coming up with a lame excuse that will let him continue after his suspension?
Old 04-25-2012, 06:27 PM
MMA, VCU, & Doctor Who

Send a message via AIM to VCURamFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by County Mike View Post
So, do you think he should have come clean and potentially ended his career vs coming up with a lame excuse that will let him continue after his suspension?
I think he shouldn't have juiced in the first place. I think he should have been suspended for more than 9 months. I think he should have told the truth and accepted his punishment.

Did I expect him to do any of that? Of course not.

Last edited by VCURamFan; 04-25-2012 at 06:34 PM.
Old 04-25-2012, 08:00 PM

I love how this article was written, kudos to the author.

They all sound like unethical creeps, Overeem, his "doctor" and the NSAC panel as well. Was this hearing just for show? It seems that way. I'm really sick of professional athletes using PEDs and even more sick of hearing their lame excuses. I guess they *do* think we fans are idiots.

Why is Overeem getting 9 months and Cyborg got 12? You'd think the penalty from Nevada's commission would be even more harsh than California.The whole system is screwed up, they need uniform standards and penalties and then must make those crystal clear to the athletes and their management.

Rejoice ever more. 1 Thessalonians 5:16
Old 04-25-2012, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flo View Post
I love how this article was written, kudos to the author.

They all sound like unethical creeps, Overeem, his "doctor" and the NSAC panel as well. Was this hearing just for show? It seems that way. I'm really sick of professional athletes using PEDs and even more sick of hearing their lame excuses. I guess they *do* think we fans are idiots.

Why is Overeem getting 9 months and Cyborg got 12? You'd think the penalty from Nevada's commission would be even more harsh than California.The whole system is screwed up, they need uniform standards and penalties and then must make those crystal clear to the athletes and their management.
the fighters, their lawyers, the doctors know the commissions either really don't care, don't have much knowledge of the fighters, and don't have a clue about the sport itself ... if you ever watch the hearings, you'll know exactly what i am talking about ... i watched the chael/california one and chaels doctor was real shady ... overeems first one was the most uncomfortable thing to watch .. one member on the commission even asked if this was his first fight at HW or something dumb like that and his story was even more shady .. same with the most recent one ...
Old 04-25-2012, 08:11 PM
I♥The♔COUNT

I love the hypocrisy that goes along with going against Overeem, but being fully supportive of Chael!! ..
Old 04-25-2012, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rearnakedchoke View Post
the fighters, their lawyers, the doctors know the commissions either really don't care, don't have much knowledge of the fighters, and don't have a clue about the sport itself ... if you ever watch the hearings, you'll know exactly what i am talking about ... i watched the chael/california one and chaels doctor was real shady ... overeems first one was the most uncomfortable thing to watch .. one member on the commission even asked if this was his first fight at HW or something dumb like that and his story was even more shady .. same with the most recent one ...
That's interesting, rnc. No, I haven't watched a hearing (well, I watched the Senate MLB hearings but none for MMA). I just figured the commissions would be a little more knowledgeable. No wonder things are a mess.

Rejoice ever more. 1 Thessalonians 5:16
Old 04-25-2012, 09:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by County Mike View Post
Chris Leben came clean & not only did he not end his career in doing so, he also showed a measure of respect for MMA fans with his full disclosure.
Old 04-25-2012, 09:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bella79 View Post
I love the hypocrisy that goes along with going against Overeem, but being fully supportive of Chael!! ..
If im not mistaking you, Vizion and I are the only supporters of Chael here.
Old 04-25-2012, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JavierDLC View Post
If im not mistaking you, Vizion and I are the only supporters of Chael here.
Nah, I like Chael a lot too...I just don't get into the arguments a whole lot (be it about him or some other fighters).