Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > MMA Related > MMA

Old 04-25-2012, 12:02 AM
Hughes fanboy

Default "respect" for the martial arts

I don't really get that. Anderson Silva says Chael does not have "respect" for martial arts.

So what if doesn't? Does it make him less of a fighter? Bowing, wearing a gi is somehow "honoring" martial arts? Please

All that matters in a fight is whether or not you can beat your opponent. Sick of people like Anderson up on his high horse bitching about "honoring the martial arts".

Martial arts deserves no more honor than does football, baseball or hockey.

Please consider England in your prayers!

http://www.intercessuk.org/iuk3/
Old 04-25-2012, 12:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizion View Post
I don't really get that. Anderson Silva says Chael does not have "respect" for martial arts.

So what if doesn't? Does it make him less of a fighter? Bowing, wearing a gi is somehow "honoring" martial arts? Please

All that matters in a fight is whether or not you can beat your opponent. Sick of people like Anderson up on his high horse bitching about "honoring the martial arts".

In all those sports there is a code of honor. In football you dont try and take out a players knees on purpose. In baseball, dont throw at the head and if you hit our guy with a pitch expect one of your guys to get hit. In hockey if you cheap shot one of our stars expect to have to pay for it by fighting someone. There are unwritten rules in every sport.

^this is what perfection looks like
Old 04-25-2012, 01:17 AM
Hughes fanboy

Those aren't ancient sports with spiritual ties. That is the honor I am talking about. We're supposed to regard martial artists as warriors and honor their "code" as though it carries some sort of supernatural heritage.

I think its one of the greatest fictions ever devised.

Old 04-25-2012, 01:41 AM

Quote:
Those aren't ancient sports with spiritual ties. That is the honor I am talking about. We're supposed to regard martial artists as warriors and honor their "code" as though it carries some sort of supernatural heritage.

I think its one of the greatest fictions ever devised.
well I dont really agree with that, considering MMA has no spiritual ties to it. Just like BJJ has not spiritual ties to it. I think you should just show some type of respect for your opponent. If you dont then dont get mad when he holds that choke for just a bit longer than he should or gets in one more punch after you are out cold.

^this is what perfection looks like
Old 04-25-2012, 02:00 AM
Hughes fanboy

I agree there. Respect for the other fighter, but that's not usually what people say. They say "have respect for martial arts" as though they have some kind of claim over martial arts as some kind of honored system that thereby has earned respect...problem is...no thing "deserves" respect, only the people who practice it do.

They should say "have respect for martial artists" in stead.

Old 04-25-2012, 02:17 AM
I'm kind of a big deal

I know what I'm about to type goes against what is taught in most dojos, but...so?!?! It's not like it's a requirement for Chael to fight in the UFC.
Old 04-25-2012, 03:11 AM
Hughes fanboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockdawg21 View Post
I know what I'm about to type goes against what is taught in most dojos, but...so?!?! It's not like it's a requirement for Chael to fight in the UFC.
Not sure what you mean dawg

Old 04-25-2012, 04:04 AM
I'm kind of a big deal

Quote:
Not sure what you mean dawg
Sorry Vizion, in the U.S., when somebody says "so?!?!" it's a leading question/reply that's like saying "big deal!", "so what?!", "why does that matter?".

In this case, I'm literally saying, "Why does that matter? (for his career in the UFC)".
Old 04-25-2012, 12:34 PM

Quote:

ok .... so take away the honour and respect part ... you talk about beating your opponent ... anderson did exactly that and chael acts like he won the fight .. LOL ... chael is a bum who gets an advantage from synthetic testosterone because he apparently can't produce his own (this is what normal men do) ... he shouldn't be making fun of anyone ...
Old 04-25-2012, 07:04 PM
Angry @ Injustice!

Quote:

I dont know exactly what Anderson Silva is alluding to...its probably just what I call Championarge...that is to say, that the Character of Chael Sonnen is not very good or well developed. He isnt trust worthy, and he isnt very nice.

There is another possibility and that is that Anderson is refering to something known as Bushido. There are many good things about Bushido...but there are also some very bad things about it aswell. Its not about Honouring others, its about Honour itself. Thats often the misconception with it. People simply do not follow Bushido anymore, not even those who say they do, because its a rather extreme set of rules regarding personal conduct, which in many ways have nothing to do with any martial art...their are a good few of these codes around. Bushido is the most commonly known because it was still being practised by the Japanese during world war two. If you really want to understand Bushido, try and examine how the Japanese ran their prisoner of war camps....and incidently, what happened when Japan actually fell...there is a great deal about Bushido that is most dissagreeable and can cause not only irreparable harm to inocents...for example, Bushido would not be in favour of the giving of aid...but also in some rather crude rituals including setting ones self on fire, or committing suicide to eradicate failiure, grief, protest or shame.

No Mixed Martial Artist practises Bushido...not unless they approve of physical and mental self destruction following the first and only loss they would ever have. Bushido does not promote living to fight another day.

Whilst I aggree with Anderson that Chael Sonnen is a stupid idiot, I dont know how well defined Andersons ideology around "respect" and "honour" truely is. I cant condone true Bushido, not even from a Roman perspective. Not even concerning The Games. Its so radically extreme it wasnt present in many of the Great and Ancient Militaries. When I speak of Loyalty, I am speaking from a Roman Conception of the view...which is probably slightly more Extreme then the US Marine point of view...but neither come close to the Japanese concept. The main difference, is that is no lacking in penalization for failiure or breach of protocol

In the Japanese Military there was no such thing as a dishonourable discharge