Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > General Discussions > Sports

Old 04-24-2012, 12:11 PM
Allons-y

Send a message via AIM to VCURamFan
Default Former UFC Octagon Girl Natasha Wicks training for 2016 Summer Olympics

From MMAMania.com:

Quote:

And if hotness was an official category, she'd already have a dozen gold medals.

Former Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) Octagon Girl Natasha Wicks, who was an avid runner and collegiate athlete before breaking her butt (literally), is returning to the sport she loves to make a serious "run" at the 2016 Summer Olympics in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil.

From her interview with Las Vegas Sun:
Quote:
I still stay pretty involved in the MMA industry, and I'm actually ring girl-ing again now for the new, biggest, all-women's MMA organization -- Invicta Fighting Championships -- so I still do it, I still model, I still do all that stuff, but my running has become my main focus, my main passion.

Now I'm in serious training for the 2016 Olympics in Brazil. My goals are to compete on a national and world level in the 5K, 10K and half-marathon and dominate the Olympic trials and then place in the Top Three at the Olympics.
Wicks was the winner of the UFC Octagon Girl search back in 2009 but parted ways with the company shortly thereafter, where she focused on modeling, appearing in magazines like Maxim and Fight! as well strutting her stuff as a Bunny at the Playboy Club in Las Vegas, Nevada.
Old 04-24-2012, 04:55 PM
Allons-y

The UG has a more in-depth version of this article:

Quote:
In an interview with the Las Vegas Sun, former UFC and current Invicta ring card girl Natasha Wicks reveals she has dealt with years of injuries after a college accident knocked her tailbone out of alignment, and after a six-year break, is now training with the hopes of landing a spot on the U.S. Olympic team, to run in the Rio de Janeiro Summer Olympics in 2016.

Quote:
"I still stay pretty involved in the MMA industry, and Iím actually ring girl-ing again now for the new, biggest, all-womenís MMA organization -- Invicta Fighting Championships -- so I still do it, I still model, I still do all that stuff, but my running has become my main focus, my main passion.
ďI never stopped dreaming about it. When I was in high school and college, I wanted to compete in the Olympics. ... My goals are to compete on a national and world level in the 5K, 10K and half-marathon and dominate the Olympic trials and then place in the Top Three at the Olympics."

Robin Leach: When do you know if youíve qualified for the Olympics, and what do you have to do to qualify?
Natasha Wicks: You have to be running. First of all, you submit your time that qualifies you for the Olympic trials, and you donít want to lie about that because you will be thrown out of the water if you are not at that level. Everyone is asking why arenít you doing it this year. Because I know Iím not ready, I know Iím not running that time or even close to that time at this point, because I have maintained my running, and I have maintained a high level of fitness, but I havenít raced as hardcore as I have in the past. It really is about just that, a running time competing at a level that is in the Olympics. I have to finish in the Top Three to qualify.

RL: What is the record time for a 10K in the Olympics?
NW: For a woman, itís 30:17; the world record is 29:31. Those times were run on a track, which is a flat course, and Iíve never actually run a 10K on a track except for when I was back in college, and that was when I was injured and blocked it out of my mind. But on a rugged, cross-country course with hills, I ran a 36:15. It sounds like a huge difference, but take in the facts that there are hills and I wasnít in the best shape that I know I could be. I was just in good shape, but not the best shape.

RL: So is everybody telling you that youíve got the right stuff to do this?
NW: Everyone is encouraging, and everyone is, like, wow, that is awesome, go for your goals. I donít know how many of those people believe that I can do it, but it really doesnít matter if other people think I can do it. Itís more of I know I want to try, and it is my passion. I just love to run, so what better thing to do than to try for the Olympics.
My sisters could never run because theyíve always had knee problems, and even with all the pounding and the miles that I have put in, Iíve never had them. Thereís been no reoccurrence of the injuries to the tailbone. I see a chiropractor twice a week. I have people checking and making sure everything is aligned.
Read entire interview...
Lest anyone doubt Wick's chances at Olympic glory, consider that she has proven her mettle in a variety of sports. These include:

Power lifting

Rodeo

Motorcycle racing

Swimming

Cage fighting

BJJ

Dressage

Rock Climbing

Muay Thai, the science of eight limbs, at least

Ninjutsu

Here Wicks cuts weight for a fight

This image has nothing to do with sports, and is here solely for gratutious reasons

Perhaps most astonishingly, Wicks has accomplished this with only one arm

In short, Natasha Wicks can aim for whatever she wants to, and right now, it is the Olympic Games. She makes her Invicta debut in Kansas City on April 28 as the ring girl of a new, all-female fighting organization.
Old 04-24-2012, 05:25 PM

Old 04-24-2012, 05:50 PM

I like the first photo in the article and the dressage photo; she looks like a natural beauty in both.

I hope she's successful in her dreams of the Olympics, but 2016 is four years away...how old is she, does anyone know?
Old 04-24-2012, 06:12 PM
Allons-y

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonnie View Post
I like the first photo in the article and the dressage photo; she looks like a natural beauty in both.

I hope she's successful in her dreams of the Olympics, but 2016 is four years away...how old is she, does anyone know?
I agree, I like the less-enigineered pics, as well.

I think she's in her early 20s (22ish, I believe).
Old 04-24-2012, 06:30 PM
WAR CARDINALS!

Damn.

What were we talking about? Olympics?

Yes, the basketball players should get paid....
Old 04-24-2012, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.B. View Post
Damn.

What were we talking about? Olympics?

no, they should not get paid and pro's shouldn't be allowed in the olympics .. for any sport
Old 04-24-2012, 06:36 PM
WAR CARDINALS!

I love how the pic of her next to the bike says "motorcycle racing" above it...

How long do you think she would last before burning herself on the exhaust, or some other random hot part, in those shorts (if you can even call those shorts)?
Old 04-24-2012, 06:44 PM
WAR CARDINALS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rearnakedchoke View Post
no, they should not get paid and pro's shouldn't be allowed in the olympics .. for any sport
If "USA Basketball" is profiting off of jerseys with Wade or LeBron's name on it, those guys deserve a cut. Just my opinion.

How can you say "pros" shouldn't be in the Olympics? The Olympics is about the USA kicking every other country's butt!!! We want to take our BEST athletes. You guys up in Canada can have the Gold in Hockey, and we love you, but ya damn right we are sending in the BEST to get the job done when it comes to basketball.
Old 04-24-2012, 07:07 PM
Allons-y

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by rearnakedchoke View Post
Quote:
If "USA Basketball" is profiting off of jerseys with Wade or LeBron's name on it, those guys deserve a cut. Just my opinion.

How can you say "pros" shouldn't be in the Olympics? The Olympics is about the USA kicking every other country's butt!!! We want to take our BEST athletes. You guys up in Canada can have the Gold in Hockey, and we love you, but ya damn right we are sending in the BEST to get the job done when it comes to basketball.
FOCUS!!!