Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > General Discussions > The Woodshed

Old 04-04-2012, 01:44 AM
I'm kind of a big deal

Bonnie, the Weather Channel just said those tractor trailers weigh 15,000 to 16,000 pounds and tornado was able to launch them 100 to 150 feet in the air!
Old 04-04-2012, 01:58 AM
WAR CARDINALS!

Crazy stuff, definitely glad to hear that it looks like everybody is okay.

I believe I have shared this before, but I will share it again anyway. In 1990, when I was only 8, a nasty tornado ripped through my hometown of Joliet/Plainfield IL. It caused a ton of damage and killed quite a few people, including my great aunt. My great aunt/uncle were working as custodians in Plainfield High School (where I eventually went to school) the day before the first day class was supposed start. If the tornado would have come a day later, there would have been like a 1000 students in the school when the tornado destroyed it. Also, one of my best friends and former bandmates watched his entire house fly away from his basement with his family.

I was in a department store called "Venture" (similar to Target) with my mom when the power went out. One of the employees came inside screaming; "there's a tornado coming down Larkin ave!!!" Essentially, that meant it was coming right towards us so a lot of people panicked and ran to their cars to try to escape, against their better judgement. My mom wanted to do the same thing, but I felt like going outside that was a bad idea so I took off running towards the back of the store because I knew she wouldn't leave without me. Eventually the tornado passed us, but not before completely destroying much of the neighborhoods surrounding the strip mall we were in, and then moving north to wipe out Plainfield. That neighborhood is where I grew up, and to this day I still hang out right in that area when I am visiting home. I even still shop in that same store from time to time, even though it's now a grocery store, and I always think back to that day. I also have spent some time in Jolpin MO a few times over the years when I make road trips, typically between IL and AZ, and I know they got hit really bad by a twister last year. Tornados are not to messed with.

Here is a short video about the Plainfield tornado from 1990. Still gives me goosebumps every time I watch it. The janitor they mention was my great aunt...http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tOOBNUULqOo
Old 04-04-2012, 02:07 AM
I'm kind of a big deal

Thanks for sharing JB, I remember that tornado. Sorry to hear about your great aunt, that's tough to lose her at such a young age.
Old 04-04-2012, 02:08 AM
I'm kind of a big deal

Here's a great video of the tractor trailers flying in the air. Also, look at all the flashes from the transformers it's popped. They say 48,000 homes are without power in Dallas:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LN5Izcf-z9k
Old 04-04-2012, 02:16 AM
WAR CARDINALS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockdawg21 View Post
Thanks for sharing JB, I remember that tornado. Sorry to hear about your great aunt, that's tough to lose her at such a young age.
I was still young and we weren't very close, but I still remember being very sad about it because everybody around me was. My great uncle lived through it, but a wall crushed his legs and he was in the hospital for a while. He still walks with a cane to this day. The craziest part, that I couldnt truly comprehend until I was much older, was that they found her almost a mile away in a cornfield and she was still alive. When they found her she asked them how her husband was and then passed away.

The whole was surreal at that age. All the destroyed homes and buildings, and news reports of deaths. Heck, the only reason PHS was so state of the art when I went there for high school was because the tornado just destroyed the old one 6 years earlier. However, in the hours right after it happened, I had no real sense of understanding just how bad it was. When we eventually left the store, we drove back home and I just remember being mad that the power was out and I couldn't play Nintendo. We didn't have the kind of news reporting and cell phones like we do today, so it really took a few days for all the news to get back to us, because we had no power and no phone.
Old 04-04-2012, 02:28 AM
WAR CARDINALS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockdawg21 View Post
Here's a great video of the tractor trailers flying in the air. Also, look at all the flashes from the transformers it's popped. They say 48,000 homes are without power in Dallas:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LN5Izcf-z9k
That is so crazy. The sheer power of a tornado can be truly breathtaking. In a way, it's actually pretty awesome. Obviously, I'm not trying to make light of these kinds of disasters or the damage they can cause to human life, but it's one of those things that just reminds us about how microscopic we actually are in terms of how this world works. People, myself included, should think about that next time they tweet/facebook about how good their dinner was or what color shirt they are going to wear.
Old 04-04-2012, 09:06 PM
I'm kind of a big deal

25 incredible photos from yesterday:

http://www.buzzfeed.com/mjs538/incre...es-near-dallas
Old 04-05-2012, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.B. View Post
I was still young and we weren't very close, but I still remember being very sad about it because everybody around me was. My great uncle lived through it, but a wall crushed his legs and he was in the hospital for a while. He still walks with a cane to this day. The craziest part, that I couldnt truly comprehend until I was much older, was that they found her almost a mile away in a cornfield and she was still alive. When they found her she asked them how her husband was and then passed away.

The whole was surreal at that age. All the destroyed homes and buildings, and news reports of deaths. Heck, the only reason PHS was so state of the art when I went there for high school was because the tornado just destroyed the old one 6 years earlier. However, in the hours right after it happened, I had no real sense of understanding just how bad it was. When we eventually left the store, we drove back home and I just remember being mad that the power was out and I couldn't play Nintendo. We didn't have the kind of news reporting and cell phones like we do today, so it really took a few days for all the news to get back to us, because we had no power and no phone.
Wow, JB, so she was one of the ones they found in the cornfield. I bet she was hanging on until she knew your uncle was okay. If a tornado can pick up semi trailers that weigh 10,000-16,000 lbs and toss them around like tonka toys, she didn't have much of a chance.

They said the warning came too late (after the tornado hit); they delayed because people were griping they were sending out too many warnings where nothing ended up happening. Talk about a hard lesson...