Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > General Discussions > The Woodshed

Old 03-31-2012, 05:02 PM
Allons-y

Send a message via AIM to VCURamFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyburn View Post
Really upset

British Gas has stolen nearly 600 from me

Its a long story which has been going on since March 1st...in short, they got my final bill from Granville wrong coz they put all the flats gas bills onto mine! In order to avoid that I had to cut the direct debit which stops them automatically taking money from my bank account. They were aware and approved the decision until the metre had been removed.

But then they started to issue more bills. I was assured that it was part of the automatic process for removing the metres...until last night when I got a letter saying thank you for paying the big sum by direct debit.

I went into the bank today and learned I am reallllllllllly overdrawn thanks to this, whilst my overdraft covers it for now, if I cant get the money back, I will be into bank charge level by pentecost.

British Gas say that the bank should not have let the money go, and that they will refund it, but thats meaningless since they never keep their word.

National Westminster bank says they will know by tuesday if they can get the money back, and if so, when. They say that British Gas went back to the original mandate for the direct debit, and so they had to honour the transfer.

but that mandate should have been rulled void by the cancellation...noone can seemingly answer that one.

Needless to say im not just going to complain, but seek financial compensation...this could get ugly...I may have to go to a newspaper about this and try and expose them publically.

Meanwhile, I already have an anxiety disorder and depression, im trying to get used to a new home, a long walk to work, my poor feet...and now this, its ruined several evenings, when I've phoned my friends in tears not knowing what to do. I've bearly been able to sleep because I cant stop worrying about it...and now my worst fear...they have actually stolen the money!!!!
Dave, that is terrible, man! Dude, I'd be so pissed if that were me!! That's so much bull$h!t!!!
Old 03-31-2012, 05:43 PM

I'm really sorry this happened to you, Dave. It's incredibly frustrating to deal with big companies, they have all the advantages over us "little people". Don't give up, be persistent and make noise. They wouldn't like bad publicity (like a letter to your local paper, etc.). We're lucky that one of the major news stations in Seattle will often broadcast consumer issues regarding big or dishonest companies called "Problem Solvers". They get results. I hope you can get it resolved.

Rejoice ever more. 1 Thessalonians 5:16
Old 03-31-2012, 07:50 PM
Stump Rules!

Like a baker! I just made birthday cupcakes and a birthday cake for 18 people

http://stumpdotcom.com/
Old 04-01-2012, 12:25 AM

Quote:
Really upset

British Gas has stolen nearly 600 from me

Its a long story which has been going on since March 1st...in short, they got my final bill from Granville wrong coz they put all the flats gas bills onto mine! In order to avoid that I had to cut the direct debit which stops them automatically taking money from my bank account. They were aware and approved the decision until the metre had been removed.

But then they started to issue more bills. I was assured that it was part of the automatic process for removing the metres...until last night when I got a letter saying thank you for paying the big sum by direct debit.

I went into the bank today and learned I am reallllllllllly overdrawn thanks to this, whilst my overdraft covers it for now, if I cant get the money back, I will be into bank charge level by pentecost.

British Gas say that the bank should not have let the money go, and that they will refund it, but thats meaningless since they never keep their word.

National Westminster bank says they will know by tuesday if they can get the money back, and if so, when. They say that British Gas went back to the original mandate for the direct debit, and so they had to honour the transfer.

but that mandate should have been rulled void by the cancellation...noone can seemingly answer that one.

Needless to say im not just going to complain, but seek financial compensation...this could get ugly...I may have to go to a newspaper about this and try and expose them publically.

Meanwhile, I already have an anxiety disorder and depression, im trying to get used to a new home, a long walk to work, my poor feet...and now this, its ruined several evenings, when I've phoned my friends in tears not knowing what to do. I've bearly been able to sleep because I cant stop worrying about it...and now my worst fear...they have actually stolen the money!!!!
Tyburn, DOCUMENT EVERYTHING! Names, dates, times, etc. You may need a paper trail. It might be better to have some of this in writing (email or letter) so you can have physical proof. Telephone conversations and personal conversations can be denied or forgotten (unless recorded). Every time you have a conversation about this write down the person's name, his title, date and time of discussion, a summary of the conversation (include quotes, if possible) and what plans are being made to address the situation. After the conversation, make a paper trail by writing a follow-up letter:

Dear Mr. Bureaucrat,
Thank you for meeting with me on April 1, 2012 at 10:15 A.M and discussing with me the improper deduction of a gas payment from my account. As you will recall, . . .

Sincerely,
Tyburn

Old 04-01-2012, 12:45 AM
Allons-y

Quote:
Originally Posted by Play The Man View Post
Tyburn, DOCUMENT EVERYTHING! Names, dates, times, etc. You may need a paper trail. It might be better to have some of this in writing (email or letter) so you can have physical proof. Telephone conversations and personal conversations can be denied or forgotten (unless recorded). Every time you have a conversation about this write down the person's name, his title, date and time of discussion, a summary of the conversation (include quotes, if possible) and what plans are being made to address the situation. After the conversation, make a paper trail by writing a follow-up letter:

Dear Mr. Bureaucrat,
Thank you for meeting with me on April 1, 2012 at 10:15 A.M and discussing with me the improper deduction of a gas payment from my account. As you will recall, . . .

Sincerely,
Tyburn

That is great advice, PTM!
Old 04-01-2012, 04:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flo View Post
I'm really sorry this happened to you, Dave. It's incredibly frustrating to deal with big companies, they have all the advantages over us "little people". Don't give up, be persistent and make noise. They wouldn't like bad publicity (like a letter to your local paper, etc.). We're lucky that one of the major news stations in Seattle will often broadcast consumer issues regarding big or dishonest companies called "Problem Solvers". They get results. I hope you can get it resolved.
One of our local stations I watch regularly has a consumer reporter who will report on consumer problems and complaints that people have written in about and they'll investigate the situation. There is nothing like "bad press" exposure to get a company to act fast to resolve a problem.

Quote:

Dear Mr. Bureaucrat,

Sincerely,
Tyburn

Yes, Dave, Play is right. I do this all the time. It helps you to keep track of who you've spoken with on what date and what was said, etc... This is especially helpful when you've had to call back multiple times because the problem is not being resolved as you were told and you get a different person each time you call back. Also, be sure to get "direct" phone numbers and extensions for people when possible.

I hope you've kept your old bills from when they started billing you erroneously and any other paperwork/documentation from the time you notified them 'til now. I really feel for ya regarding the money...we went thru a similar experience with our water company a few years ago except it involved a faulty meter.

Hope you get this resolved soon.
Old 04-01-2012, 06:26 AM

Tyburn, I know it is easier said than done; however, everyone should set up a "rainy day" fund bank account. Ideally, this fund should contain enough money to pay all your expenses for 6-9 months. The amount is different for each person depending on one's budget. Every expense (housing, food, heating, etc.) should be recorded and a monthly average should be determined. If you lose your job or are unable to work, your "rainy day" fund can help tide you over until you are back on your feet. It can also be used to cover unexpected expenses: such as the error in the gas bill (or a dental emergency, vet bill, house damage, etc., etc., etc.). Like I said, I know it is difficult to do, but I thought I would mention it as a financial goal for your future.
Old 04-01-2012, 06:44 PM
Angry @ Injustice!

Quote:
Tyburn, I know it is easier said than done; however, everyone should set up a "rainy day" fund bank account. Ideally, this fund should contain enough money to pay all your expenses for 6-9 months. .
do you know how long that would take me to set up

You will be glad to know that I have EVERYTHING written down and record, names, places, dates...I have all the bills with the extra metre on it...heck I even have the bus tickets that I had to buy to get to a landline when this first started after the move and I didnt have one.

My parents are working on getting details of the energy ombudsman. I am ready to write to my local minister for parliament, and the Minister whose job is to look after Energy in the Country. I have people at work, trained in civil law who have aggreed to help me, I even have one person who has someone who used to work at the firm and can help explain how their automated system works.

I have begun to mention it in blogs, and these videos will end up being forwarded to the company to proove that I wont be silenced. BUT Nothing happens til tuesday when I know for sure on the recovery of the money...this next few days will all be about preparation.

I want to say that although this place is quieter then it used to be, and I dont post quite as often as I used to..its lovely to find the community of friends is still hear, Ben, and Flo, PTM and Bonnie...you guys are great at providing comfort and support both offside and publically. I shall be sure to keep everyone updated with what happens next
Old 04-02-2012, 03:14 AM
Allons-y

Quote:
do you know how long that would take me to set up

You will be glad to know that I have EVERYTHING written down and record, names, places, dates...I have all the bills with the extra metre on it...heck I even have the bus tickets that I had to buy to get to a landline when this first started after the move and I didnt have one.

My parents are working on getting details of the energy ombudsman. I am ready to write to my local minister for parliament, and the Minister whose job is to look after Energy in the Country. I have people at work, trained in civil law who have aggreed to help me, I even have one person who has someone who used to work at the firm and can help explain how their automated system works.

I have begun to mention it in blogs, and these videos will end up being forwarded to the company to proove that I wont be silenced. BUT Nothing happens til tuesday when I know for sure on the recovery of the money...this next few days will all be about preparation.
It sounds like you're doing a really good job of getting your ducks lined up, Dave, keep it up. I'll definitely be praying for you.

Quote:
I want to say that although this place is quieter then it used to be, and I dont post quite as often as I used to..its lovely to find the community of friends is still hear, Ben, and Flo, PTM and Bonnie...you guys are great at providing comfort and support both offside and publically. I shall be sure to keep everyone updated with what happens next
Hey, you should know that y'all wouldn't be able to get rid of me just 'cause Matt's not active at the moment. I'm more persistent than that...like a virus!
Old 04-02-2012, 03:22 AM
Student of the Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by VCURamFan View Post
Hey, you should know that y'all wouldn't be able to get rid of me just 'cause Matt's not active at the moment. I'm more persistent than that...like a virus!
Riiiiight....you are just trying to make up about 4200 posts to overtake Dave....that is why we can't get rid of you!