Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > General Discussions > Sports

Old 03-22-2012, 07:14 PM
WAR CARDINALS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bella79 View Post
I have TEBOW fever!!!
Denver had that too, and the only prescription was Peyton Manning!
Old 03-22-2012, 10:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.B. View Post
Actually, I really like Tim Tebow. I know that seems like what most people say before they tear into his skills, but I really do genuinely like the guy and have been pulling for him to prove everybody wrong. The thing is, there is just too much focus being put on the guy by the media and fans. It's obviously commonplace for fans and media alike to judge teams based on who is playing QB, and it is the most important position on the field. However, when the Broncos were making their rags to riches run last season they seemed to be winning in spite of Tebow, yet he was the only person getting all the attention. That's not totally Tim's fault, but it's not conducive to a healthy locker-room when you are unproven and the team basically had to change it's entire scheme to a college style offense just to suit you. It's like showing up to a BMX racetrack while riding a Huffy with training wheels and expecting to compete with the big-boys.

I think Tim can improve in some areas, and throwing mechanics are NOT everything in this league. If they were, there are literally tons of QB's who would have been successful but failed in the NFL. So, no matter what somebody thinks of Tebow, nobody can deny that he is worthy of being in the NFL. Tim seems to have a very level head and I'm sure he was disappointed to leave Denver, but I'm also sure that he knows when a player like Peyton Manning comes calling, it's probably best to step aside.
What an analogy!

Well, isn't everybody "unproven" until they're given a chance to prove themselves. I didn't realize football play was different, that there is a "college style" vs. "professional"? How so, if you wouldn't mind explaining? I know I ask a lot of ?s.

Last edited by Bonnie; 03-22-2012 at 11:12 PM.
Old 03-22-2012, 11:18 PM
WAR CARDINALS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonnie View Post
What an analogy!

Well, isn't everybody "unproven" until they're given a chance to prove themselves. I didn't realize football play was different, that there is a "college style" vs. "professional"? How so, if you wouldn't mind explaining? I know I ask a lot of ?s.

No, it's totally fine.

NCAA football is a much different beast than the NFL game. It basically boils down to age of the players and their "football IQ". Similar to what I said about Manning and his ability to recognize what is about to happen on the field in comparison to other QB's.

To break it down without going into X's and O's too deeply, the college game just doesn't have as many different schemes in both offense and defense as the pro game. When you are a QB in college, it's easy to get used to running one or two different types of play-calling, but the defenses in the NFL have already seen it all and they are "typically" ready for anything you throw at them. College QB's usually get the go ahead to run the ball more when there are no passing options, even if they aren't the next Michael Vick, but that historically DOESN'T work in the NFL. If Vick couldn't run his way to Super Bowl by now, I'm not sure ANYBODY is gonna do it.
Old 03-23-2012, 12:27 AM
WAR CARDINALS!

Just heard a good point from Bill Polian (the Colts GM who was fired because he wanted to stick by Manning)...

Yes, Sanchez could have a bad game and Tebowmania could run wild again, but there is some responsibility on Tim not to let that bleed into the locker room. Teams don't have control over what fans or media say, but Tim CAN make sure that his teammates know he is there to do what is best for the team and he doesn't embrace this hype created by fans/media. I have faith that Tebow can do that, but we'll see how it actually plays out.

EDIT: That is not a quote, but rather the gist of what Polian said.

Last edited by J.B.; 03-23-2012 at 12:32 AM.
Old 03-23-2012, 03:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.B. View Post

No, it's totally fine.

NCAA football is a much different beast than the NFL game. It basically boils down to age of the players and their "football IQ". Similar to what I said about Manning and his ability to recognize what is about to happen on the field in comparison to other QB's.

To break it down without going into X's and O's too deeply, the college game just doesn't have as many different schemes in both offense and defense as the pro game. When you are a QB in college, it's easy to get used to running one or two different types of play-calling, but the defenses in the NFL have already seen it all and they are "typically" ready for anything you throw at them. College QB's usually get the go ahead to run the ball more when there are no passing options, even if they aren't the next Michael Vick, but that historically DOESN'T work in the NFL. If Vick couldn't run his way to Super Bowl by now, I'm not sure ANYBODY is gonna do it.
Okay, I get it now; I know Tebow did run with the ball, not like Vick, but still. Were the Broncos his first shot at "pro"? And, wouldn't the coaches break him of these college ways and make him start learning the pro way? I know the QB calls the plays on the field, but doesn't the coach direct?
Old 03-23-2012, 03:28 AM
WAR CARDINALS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonnie View Post
Okay, I get it now; I know Tebow did run with the ball, not like Vick, but still. Were the Broncos his first shot at "pro"? And, wouldn't the coaches break him of these college ways and make him start learning the pro way? I know the QB calls the plays on the field, but doesn't the coach direct?
It takes YEARS to break a QB into the pro game, which is why we typically hear coaches say "you gotta give a QB a few years in the NFL".

Which is funny in this case because the Giants gave Eli Manning plenty of time and he looked like crap the first few years. Are the Giants complaining now?

NO they are not! LOL, but Jets fans are so crazy about beating out the Giants that we get this.....Tebow time....